Generator-Gas Book from Switzerland 1944

Hello Max,

Yes, I have the same feeling. Do you understand German?

@k_vanlooken tahnkyou very much, it’s a pleasure to help and spread knwoledge.

@KristijanL it seems that there are some problems with different browsers. If you can’t download it, we can try a different way of sharing.

@TomC Yes, there are pictures and drawings. For sure they have some information in them. I would suggest that if you have any questions about something in particular, just give the reference page or drawing number and we can discuss it here.

3 Likes

For those that can’t download from Til’s link, i have uploaded the book to my google docs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sngZYk0aBHBaD2itgx2tKtNHMLdBSVib/view?usp=sharing

8 Likes

Koen, did you get it to translate to English on Google for you. I know you don’t need it.:grin:
Bob

2 Likes

Hi,Til!

It’s like reading the classic Swedish GENGAS from 1950, but seems to have many different aspects; commenting after reading a long while!..

Reading! I mean reading! Indeed. Started as a child with my fathers studying books, first only with help of my father, later by myself. It continued in school…

Starting young is a bonus.

Have visited Wendland in 2004. Stationary woodgas set-up for 60 KW net feeding generator.
10 days and running on first attempt. Champagne to all 15 (last day arrived) attendees the last day.

8 Likes

Hi Til,
it didn´t work for it ask for a password. I´ll try Koen´s

1 Like

I could´t enter the page. It says that my IP is bloked because of to many entrees,(?)
I´m sorry because I wanted the book, Shame

1 Like

the password for the link from Til is CH1944

1 Like

What does the book say about OHV and flat head engines? I see drawings of the engine types.

1 Like

No, Google can’t translate it.
maybe i’ll find some OCR program that could turn it into text instead of picture, that would speed up things.

4 Likes

I made a split for the book, per 50 pages, for those who have difficulties to download the whole file at once.
It also makes it more easy for me to translate it with Google apps

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gwhX6wFYxBM8tPa4EKi9vIf6MD3k4CSE

10 Likes

Thank you, Koen you got my 50 likes on this one.
Bob

4 Likes

Hope with @k_vanlooken’s help it is now possible for everybody to download the book. Thanks so much Koen for sharing and dividing it into smaller bits!

Well, flat head engines were very commons those days. They wrote that a more compact and less rugged cylinder head is better. This is often better achieved with OHV, but can’t generalized. It is more depending on the actual design of the engine (valves, inlet and exhaust) than on OHV or flathead
Also, it is with some flat head designs not easy to increase the compression ratio.
Remember, this is technical state of the 40s.

7 Likes

In the USA, The early “Hot Rodders” would increase the compression of a flat-head engine by shaving off some metal of the entire head gasket surface on a milling machine. Hence the nickname “Milled Heads”. This would of course make the combustion chamber smaller in each cylinder raising the compression. You can do that to an old Briggs and Stratton engine as well. Never done it myself, and sealing and valve clearance can be issues.

4 Likes

Thank you Koen, :+1::+1:

1 Like

i also uploaded different chapters so it could make more sense if someone is searching for a specific topic:

• descriptions of gasifier types, includes blowers for starting and nozzles for charcoal gasifiers
  • cleaning filters ( gas cleaning technics )
  • Gas mixing ( some nice info and schematics )
  • Wood gasification
  • Charcoal gasification
  • engine behavior on woodgas
  • engine modification to improve power

If a specific question arise, please give me the page number from the original document, either bottom left or bottom right, then i will do my best to answer

8 Likes

Thanks so much Koen! You made it much easier to download it for the folks.

Count me in as well for the question and answer task-force. German is my mother tongue and I’m glad if I can help with it.

3 Likes

some nice example from those old day’s experiences:
consumption and fuel comparing…

rule of thumb numbers ( remember, those numbers come from 1944 )
1 liter gasoline = 2,5 kg wood
1 liter gasoline = 1,25 kg charcoal
1 liter diesel = 5 kg wood

1 hp = 0,8 to 1 kg wood
1 hp = 0,4 to 0,5 kg charcoal
Holz = wood
Holzkohle = charcoal
Personenwagen = normal car
Lastwagen = truck
Fahrzeuggewicht = curb weight in kg
Treibstofverbrauch = fuel consumption in kg per 100 km

if statement = 100 t/km, it means consumption per 100 km per ton vehicle weight

1 gallon = 3,78541 liter
1 Kg = 2,20462 Lbs

enjoy

5 Likes

To be the smart-ass: It is horse-power per hour (hp/h) :grin:

5 Likes

i love it if someone can point out my errors…
my errors are not seldom… but people capable to point them out to me are ( i think that one comes from Einstein… )

3 Likes

Isn’t this the formula for Horsepower?:

1 Hp = 33,000 foot pounds per minute.
or:
1 Hp = 550 foot pounds per second.

If that is true, then, isn’t time already taken into account?
Pete Stanaitis

1 Like