Generator-Gas Book from Switzerland 1944

Hello Pete,
don’t get it wrong. It doesn’t mean the physically correct formula!
It is a rule of thump for the specific wood or charcoal consumption. So for an engine output of 1 horse-power for one our, you can estimate a consumption of 0.8 to 1 kg wood or 0.4 to 0.5 kg charcoal.

4 Likes

I cannot read any German but very often I can puzzle through topic words and short descriptions if they are in context. I was surprised how many of the diagrams don’t really need labeling to be of use. Very good diagrams covering air styles, nozzles, lids and other configurations. My one concern is that the author might have included a drawing of what not to do with a stern warning in German. I will add my thanks to the others for the availability of another resource.

3 Likes

As far as I overlooked it, there is more a discussion about proven or current designs. Of course with pros and cons.
No bad examples what not to do.
If you have a question about a drawing in particular, just give the page number and I can give some details and translate the legend.

1 Like

Its always fun to talk about something what we think is obvious…

wikipedia is our friend:

Thanks Til, I may take you up on that in the future.

1 Like

Hello Til,
Thank you for uploading the book. It is excellent. Sadly - my German is not, I did note that on page 378 App. 105 is a nice cross section view of the principal we have used to convert the low speed Lister type diesel engines with a pre-combustion chamber to dual fuel - diesel and spark ignition.
Best regards,
Ron Ohler

1 Like

Thanks for the download, wow a lot of data im just passing page 100.

2 Likes

hello tilman, thanks for the swiss book … there is a lot of information and a wide overview from the gasifiers used in the thirties and fourties, also from converting diesels to woodgas…and so many other things- swiss perfection collected knowledge…
also i am a fan from historic documents to gasifying. my gandfather used one on his bus -omnibus in this times , 20 years before i was born but, unfortunately no foto exists in the family . vielen herzlichen dank
giorgio

4 Likes

Hello Giorgio,
pleasure to help and to share knowledge. I try to collect old documents about woodgas, but this book is really the best overview of the past I have ever found. You named it: Swiss perfection :wink:
Thank you for your threads about your own builds. I like them a lot. Hopefully I can start my own project soon, but in the moment rebuilding an old house take all my attention an spare time.
Regards,
Til

6 Likes

Very unfortunate for me, I tried Opera, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Firefox and all of them give the same Invalid URL message once the page loads. Not sure why it won’t work.

2 Likes

Cody, have you tries Koen’s PDF breakdown on Google Drive? Works for me.
Quote:
Koen Van Looken
(Jan 2018)
“I made a split for the book, per 50 pages, for those who have difficulties to download the whole file at once. It also makes it more easy for me to translate it with Google apps”

Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gwhX6wFYxBM8tPa4EKi9vIf6MD3k4CSE

7 Likes