Gilmore style?

Sneak peak for next weeks trip…

Roundtrip almost 2000 Km
Trying to make impression on the way…

Side stickers, check…

Gasifier logo, check…

Model number … check…

The new front and back panel awaiting approval…

11 Likes

Trip update:

roundtrip 1980 Km
Fuel used:
Bamboo Charcoal: 78 Kgs = Average 3.9 Kg/ 100 km
Mixed in dual fuel ecu programmed injection for Non lean mixture
Bamboo derived alcohol aka Methanol, purity 95%
20 Liters = average 1 liter / 100 Km
water drip for core temperature control:
almost 20 liters = average 1 liter / 100 Km

Having my bike, also running on Methanol, on the back as load plus a lot of stuff.
average payload 300 Kg

The programming was not ideal yet, but i am learning :grin:
Did have plenty power for this old engine, will have to replace some valve stem seals and probably piston rings as well… 198000 Km on the counter.

at least, after the scrubbing, it looked so nice…

Pictures of course…

10 Likes

Very impressive Koen , well done indeed .
Dave

1 Like

Impressive!
Dont tell me you made the methanol your self?

2 Likes

yes i did and yes i do…

2 Likes

Koen ,

You left out one important element of the trip .

How many lemons were consumed ? :grin:

4 Likes

Culd you describe the proces a bit? If l am not mistakeing there are 3 possible ways. Destilation, fermentation and Fischer-Tropsch reaction. Wich one do you use?

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,

A bottle off concentrate lemon juice did the trick…
Each pittstop asking the person at the gas station if they had charcoal… made me buy another bottle…

5 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

I use the destilation and the FT process, one for/with the bamboo vinegar and the FT for the enriched gas, this as a byproduct , combined process gasifier/generator/FTP

Also experimenting with fermentation from the cooking process to obtain/extract the sugar from the bamboo fibers…

3 Likes

Ok so you do all 3 :grin:
Culd you describe the FTP a bit? l did lots of research on FTP but had limited resaults on a small scale reactor. l had an iron catalist with about 15bar pressure.

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

My system is modular and adaptable, but basic follows the attached schema.

I use between 50 and 80 bar, near 300 degree celcius
I have quite a few katalysts to use/test
This next weekend we will sign an MOU with the university so i can’t go in detail about the exact process steps, but as always, the fun part is for those who do instead talk :wink:

Ofcorse l respect confidentiality. I am curious only about one thing. Is or is FTP not economical on a small scale. My tests show it is not, so l pointed my research in a different way. If you will say it is lll trust you enough to get back to to the mad science stuff :wink:

2 Likes

Some like it hot inside…

These pictures to show how big the glowing mass is inside the gasifier, pulling at 5 Kwh cooking stove.
Inserting a welding rod thru the nozzle, size of the reactor tube is 5"

4 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

The small scale system can be more efficient if you have way’s to use all heat involved.

Using the higher pressure for your gas also allows a better displacement filling efficiency for the engine, ergo more energy output.

Enhancing the gas used for your engine, mixing it with residu’s from the methanol reactor, also benefits the overall efficiency.

A lot of heat coming from the reactor, approx 3000 joules per cubic meter syngas, to be used wisely…

4 Likes

Movie from the glow core

3 Likes

Aren’t all the FTP endothermic? Where are you getting the energy/heat to make the FTP work and how much energy/heat input are you needing in relation to the energy output of the product? I think that’s what @KristijanL is asking by “is it economical on a small scale?”

No Brian the process is exothermic.

1 Like

Alrighty. I hereby retract my previous question/inquiry. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

am I the only one not knowing the Fischer-Tropsch reaction?

has he a basic reading for me to follow your exchange?

2 Likes

Hi Thierry,

Short version:
CO + H2 + pressure and catalyst, gives liquid fuel…
It needs heat for startup, but after that the system becomes exothermic, the catalyst gives a lot of heat when reaction starts and needs temperature control

2 Likes