Gilmore style?

Hi Ray,

Square wave and modified square wave inverters are best avoided, pure sine wave inverters are now very affordable.

Koen,

You might be the first to do a wood gas visa run, How many other Farangs are running around on wood gas?

PS Gary is spelt with one r.

Hi Gary, grrrrrrr
Typo :wink:
I would love to pass the friendship bridge with woodgas :stuck_out_tongue:
But in this case i guess they would suspect me from trying to deliver some balistic rocket …

My guess i am the only farang who occupy’s himself with gasifying here

There are videos on youtube about gasifiers around Lamphun that where designed by a Dutch scientist that they bough over to help with the project.

Hi Gary,
Yes that was imported material from holland if i am correct, the dutchman was an expat engineer who helped them out during the first years…

The new fuel has arrived…
Charcoal pellets to test in the gasifier.
Based on dry mass: 99% Charcoal powder ( typical softwood) + 1% binder (starch tapioca)
Bulk density: 560Grs/liter ( 3,5 times from bamboo charcoal, 2,9 Times hardwood charcoal )
Diameter pellets ±7mm
Equipment and manufacturer from Thailand

Testing foreseen after 18 december ( first exhibition for the governor )

Koen,
I have an OEM 2000 Ford Ranger EV. I also have a 56K generator inverter for it. My plan is once I get a good gasifier up and running, is to charge my truck with the two units. I will then drive for free and kind of on wood before my wood gas truck.

Bill,
Thats a marvelous idea…
Whats the desired output from the generator ( 56K does not ring a bell with me )
The car is a 90 Hp Siemens electro motor if i am correct ?
assuming that average consumption is approx. 25% off the power ( to be verified, based on cruise speed, no acceleration )
So the gasifier should be able to produce 25 Hp ?
Sounds a nice project to help you with…
Any interrest to make it run on charcoal ? :wink:

Haha Koen,

I have two wood gasifiers to build before I go charcoal. :slight_smile: It actually may be a 6K. Which I believe a small gasifier will operate.

Yes that is the motor in the truck. Such a smooth ride. I have LiFePo4 batteries in it but haven’t tried it out in these sub zero temperatures yet.

Bill Schiller

Hi Bill,

Looking forward to see the progress, but don’t forget… The base of every gasifier is charcoal… even in a raw wood gasifier the base is charcoal :wink:

Hi Koen, wouldn’t wood be preferable as you don’t burn off all that energy to get to charcoal? Instead that energy is used to do something useful, also it may not worry some but the process of making charcoal can be very polluting. I understand that charcoal gasification is simpler and that is important for what you are trying achieve in Thailand.

Hi Gary,
Simple systems are preferable in this region. Also the process for makin charcoal, as foreseen, is “non poluting” and energy efficient.
Futurewise they also asked me to gasify the waste, which i want to combine with the charcoaling process.

Wood may be simple for some of us, but for the majority ?
For me ? I am a researcher and developer… new roads to pave with stones from ancient knowledges.
Glowing carbon… amazing what can be done with it isn’t it ?

Anyway, adding a second stage on top of my gasifier is possible to…

This is the sketch from the gasifier as is now, ready to be presented the 18Th
Preparing the bikes, not that easy, just have an old 4t and a very old 2t , both with side car :stuck_out_tongue:

Koen: I’m not sure about oxidation resistance, though I believe it is also worse for that as well, but High-Carbon steel actually has a lower melting point than Mild steel, though I don’t believe a charcoal gasifier will get into steel melting temperatures out near the housing. I believe it will rust our faster than the cheaper Mild-steel though.

Run low on fuel and the temperatures go way up same for wood or charcoal. Once the wood is gone there is charcoal left as Koen mentioned above.

Hi Brian, Gary,

The high carbon steel has the same temperature resistance as stainless, the opposite from mild steel.
Corrosion yes, but in limits.
This setup was made with 5" pipe, which i had on hands. Does perform quit well i may say.
When running good, reactor temperature is about 400ºC (can see in the videos)
Top of the gasifier runs at around 40ºC
The charcoal level should be kept 25" above the hot zone to keep the temp low .

About charcoal and woodgasification… no woodgasifier can run without charcoal :wink:

To those who want to know…
The energy “lost” whilst making charcoal… we are currently testing a setup for using the heat and smoke in a dryer chamber for fresh rubber sheets.
The charcoal will be used as a "clean " fuel for cooking and power generation.
At any worldwide location, ways to use heat efficient can be found easy…
Also the rules are different in other country’s, but the purpose stay the same…
Less emissions, more energy efficiency, use renewables…

Early morning in Thailand…
Studying the difference between RAW wood and Charcoal…
Amazing the differences between the woods i tested… ( Eucalyptus, Mango , Tamarind, Bamboo )
They all have different flames when their volatiles burns up,…
but flames all so similar in appearance when they are charcoaled…

Nor will the wood gasifier run without wood. What is more important to me is how long I can get my generator to run, how much power it will produce and the amount time/work needed to feed it. However what you are doing there and knowing how casual Thai people are I understand the simpler the better.

Hi Gary,
Yes, thats the whole point… kiss and cary on. ( keep it stupid simple )
The future will tell us how to advance in life…
So much to learn…

Mmm Gary,

I think a wood gasifier could run on charcoal only ?