Gohin Poulenc

What great pictures and illustrations! Thanks Chris S and Francois.
BBB Tim J

Thanks Tim, old pics are a great learning tool!

1 Like

1 Like

COAL POWERED STUDEBAKER
MILITARY TRUCK
Steven Schultheis relates that his Grandfather, C. M. Schultheis, was an automotive engineer with Studebaker in the 1940’s and 1950’s. One of his projects was a coal powered 6X6 truck for the U.S. Army. The truck was used along the Alaskan Highway in the mid to late 1940’s. These pictures were taken in South Bend in 1945.

http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/coaltrk.htm

1 Like

Truck WW2 vidéo youtube.

1 Like

bus well especially during ww2

I did find this willy’s on the internet…

1 Like

That’s a neat picture!
Garry

1 Like

I want that!

1 Like

Hey KonenVL
Neat system indeed. Chris Seymour has a photo set in his expanded album collection of this exact system with two fellows shown sservicing the hearth and cyclone collector. Capturing the char dump out for screening and hearth bed reloading.
This would not be an American system. 1940/50’s American occupation personal had all of the gasoline they needed. From the ports and access doors tool-less single “knob” cool touch tightening style this is probably a French gasifier manufacuter system adapted over to a suppled Jeep for use in civil authorities in France, Beguim or Holland. Most Gernam gasifier systems used “acme” style threaded machined screw on cast porting covers.

Bill and Garry the experienced evoled system characteristics are all hung out literally in the open on this one.
The wood moisture condensing/collecing outer hopper condnesate jacket with the sensible BIG gravity filling hopper condensates collection tank shows this was a chunked up raw wood fueled system. Most likely pine wood fueled to get the quicker reactivity in a relitively small and light system to feed this largish ~200+ CID, 50-60hp (on gasoline) engine in this era of Jeep.
Note the small body cyclone with the BIG sensible lower detatchable ash/soot collector tank.
Note the long sweeps on all of the gas piping turns. The large diameter low flow restiction piping. Even the sloping of the piping to allow the metal piping cooled dropped out condensates and soot wash to flow travel down to that first RH front bumper condensate tank. Up there not obvious but the woodgas up and out that tank first travels UP the RH side flattened cooling tubes. Condnesates and soots washing Down back into that first tank opposite the gas flow direction. Woodgas then crossing over the top of the cooler assembly then DOWM the LH side flattened cooler tubes into the horizontal filtering tank. Again not obvious but thier will be a lower bottom cooler chamber dividing wall to separate out the LH and RH sides gas flows. The 2nd bumper mounted horizontal tank probably is corse sisal fiber, wood wool strands or even “hay” filled as the filter material. Up front “systems” the actual woodgas working experence shows up in these sensbilities handling of condensates and soots and in the cooler top “knobs” easy off service cover to allow cooler tubes brushing/swabbing out cleaning. The complete horizontal tank ends one knob tooless removal for draining and cleaning.

Makes most of our “modern” re-invents with flanges and an zillion little nuts and bolts really seem like amateur hour children’s creations.
They were not stupid back then but simplifed, elagant then evoled after at least ten years of hard needed woodgas usages.
They DID have excellent asbestos for hot ports sealing back then. We make do with inferior braided fiberglass stove rope now.
We have available excellant stainless steels and electronic instrumentaion. But have lost and now need to rebuild the far more important operator knowledges back up again.
Thanks again KVL for this “way back” look at an experienced eveolved bulk chunked wood system.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Jeep + wood gas = awesome!

Now that is a bugout vehicle !
I have a few dooms day preppers in my area and they are very interested in my Chevy when I finish it.

Patrick

1 Like

Happy New Year Fellow Wood Gas enthusiasts!

And a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you, Chris.
Pepe

Great pictures Chris, thanks. You should publish a book too.

Thanks Pepe and Carl for the comments! I enjoy very much sharing the pictures found stumbling across the web.

Chris

1 Like

Happy New Year to everyone!

I haven’t been much online over the last weeks…
If anyone needs a translation of the text on any of the german pictures, just give ma a holler!

Best regards,

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam, Let me look around, I sure I have some German adds.

Notice the Shell Oil logo anyone? Mobile Oil in Australia also developed gasifiers

1 Like

Koen,
Thanks for posting the jeep picture. Nice clear photos that really show a system and inspiring ideas!
David S

1 Like

The movie from above, is from holland.
The fuel they use is peat.
they have two spare containers for refill.