Hello everyone!

Hello everyone, My name is Jesse . I am new to this site . I have been researching gasification for a couple months now . I was wondering if there is anyone in or near Maryland that would be willing to let me have a look at your wood fired vehicle. I have a 1993 Dakota that I want to convert. I wouldn’t mind driving a couple hours to see one of these, it would be worth the experience to see one in action. Thanks

3 Likes

Good morning Jesse and welcome to the site .

I wish I could help you, I am driving every day but I am several hundred miles south of you in Alabama .

5 Likes

Well Wayne , thanks for replying anyway. Would love to come south right now, we’re in the single digits today! Also would really enjoy meeting you, I’ve seen some of your videos. When I get mine up and running ,I’m going to test that dead cat mileage tip!

5 Likes

Welcome Jesse to the best gasification site there is. There is a DOW meet up in Argos, Indiana in May. The date has not been set yet. It is a three day event. There you will be able the see a number of trucks that have been converted to wood burners. Lord willing I be there with Michael Gibb. We live in Washington State. It is a long drive but it will be worth it.
Bob

4 Likes

Hey Bob, Thanks for that info. I’ve watched some of the Youtube videos of those meets, and would love to come out there. That looks like a great time and a great source of knowledge. Might see you there.

4 Likes

Welcome Jesse, I live in northern WV, Fairmont area.

3 Likes

Hey Al, that’s not too long of a trip. Looks like about a 4 hr drive for me. If you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to see your build sometime.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum From Alabama.

3 Likes

And Nebraska plus 20 characters

3 Likes

Hi Jessie, this is the best place to “advance” your learning. Wayne’s system works, period. If your goal is to DOW, drive on wood, then you need to understand the limitations and realistic expectations. We’re not building “muscle cars” and it probably would be a sad failure to try a motor home or school bus. What are your goals? 318 Dakota’s burn about 1 # of wood per mile @ 50 mph. That’s 50# of wood an hour. Ya gotta have wood the correct dryness and size. I don’t mean to discourage you, these are just the realities of DOW.

10 Likes

My little 85 s10 with 4.3 v6 has just enough power too get up too speed and not disrupt the flow of traffic, once up too speed no problem, wood gas& has slow take off speed with any extra weight, and like carl was saying, wood processing and drying is time consumming and effort.

4 Likes

Jesse, that would be fine, but if I could make a suggestion, buy the book, and become a premium member to get the most from this site. Between the book and the premium side here it is worth much more than the price, you will see exactly what it takes to drive on wood every day, and have all your questions answered with kind and honest responses.

10 Likes

For 50 bucks you get the book and 6 month premium, thats all i could aford. When i get the extra money later i will get life time preamium as i know i have got way more help out than i paid in.

6 Likes

Yeah, I may do that. I have Ben Peterson’s book, but I’m not finding that to be helpful.

2 Likes

If your goal is to DOW, Wayne’s book will help you better than anything else that I know of. This forum is amazing in the “helpful” dept. Get the premium membership. Considering the cost/benefit ratio, their’s no better deal on the net .

6 Likes

if you find your in the central ny area I’m always up for show and tell I don’t have a Dakota but seam to motor down the road just fine. welcome to the site do a lot of reading enjoy
paul

2 Likes

Hey thanks Paul. Have done a good bit of reading. Just ordered Wayne’s book.

5 Likes

Good evening Jessi hall, WELCOM TOO THE DRIVE ON WOOD,you caint go wrong on Wayne Keith book and design, Edited by Chris seanz, its the most full proff design with the most miles in allmost a century that we know of.Their is a treasure chest of info in the book including operating the unit tips.I am glad i bought his book.feel free too ask Questains once you studdy the book like i did’ent.I used too have a neyber when i was a young guy named boby hall near pontiac Mi.

3 Likes

Well thanks Kevin, Seems everybody on this site is a salesman for Wayne Keith’s book except Wayne. Just kidding, heard it was a good book before anyone even mentioned it. I did order it and I can’t wait to get it. I’ve been researching for a little while and have a pretty good compilation of materials to get me going , including a 1993 Dakota I picked up for $550 . I’m going to try to document the build as I go . Hope to be posting pics and vids in the near future.

7 Likes

Thanks Bill, glad to be here.

1 Like