Hello everyone!

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the welcome!

1 Like

Hope its a v8 dakota, they work the best with the timeing vs the v6. Any building from the WK BOOK,Should be posted on the premium side of DOW, then only the premium paying customers will see the build.SWEM.

1 Like

Mine is a V6 . What is the issue with timing the V6s?

1 Like

Good morning Jesse.

Wood gas burns slower than gasoline so to compensate for the slower burn the ignitions timing needs to be advanced .

Can not advance the time on the V-6 :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Oh no, does this mean I canā€™t use this truck?

1 Like

I sure wish there was some way I could use the V-6 . I can buy them all day long around here but no use for wood gas .

Maybe you could trade the v6 to someone with a v8. The v6 on gasoline has plenty of power.

1 Like

Well , thanks for that info Wayne. I guess Iā€™ll put it up for sale and look for something else. Is it only the Dodge? Iā€™ve seen other posts of guys with V6s.

1 Like

I drove a v6 dakota a few years. It was a 87 with carb and no computer . Lot of issues to deal with :disappointed_relieved:

It canā€™t compete with the OBD1 V8

1 Like

The dodge 318 years 92 -96 can be made to distributor cross fire . No use for gasoline but will make it haul ass on woodgas :grinning:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame. This little truck runs so well. Shouldnā€™t have a hard time selling it but it will set my project back some . Iā€™m glad I got this information before I got too far into it. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

If around in Thailand, i can show how a Tuktuk gasifier is build and used, always welcomeā€¦

3 Likes

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/woodgas-donor-vehicle/

2 Likes

Thanks Koen , but I donā€™t foresee that happening anytime soon.

1 Like

The chevy 4.3 v6 work with the timeing ok, as there is more distributor adjustment.thought it dont have hibrid capable with my carborator and that is a big factor to have while pulling loads.And there are at least a few more benifits too the v8 dakota.one more for sure is that the v8 dakota of the years wayne mentioned are able too clean the intake with a torch with out tearing apart for cleaning as i will have too due eventually.

1 Like

Ok , thanks Kevin .I actually had a 4.3 some yrs back in a Chevy Astro. That thing felt like a V8. I was sorry to see it go , but I couldnā€™t get the hydro carbons low enough for the good old Peoples Republic of Maryland emissions tests.

1 Like

Thats a shame de comissioning an astro, my 90 astro got 17 mpg average and had plenty of power for towing a vehile on a trailer and still got close too 17 mpg on the other hand my 85 s10 with 4.3 carberated with vac addvance timeing i am lucky too get10 mpg.with an old one barrel rochester.And the computor timeing helps on the newer than carb years. Tom collins has an 1997 4.3 1\2 ton pick up with plenty of power. Some models just dont have good enough timeing adjustment, Waynes v10 is i think no distributor and works great.The few guys that had the v6 dakota were not happy with power due too timeing factors design.No one was able too reprogram for timeing adjustable either yet on the v6 dakota.The malti port injection works best for hibriding. Most of this info is in the book allso. Allso the v8 dakota has more trailer pulling abillity, and is able too drive in over drive more ofton, my 4.3 s10 with out computor runs good in 3rd gear as if you were pulling light load, I hardly use overdrive or forth gear while driveing on wood. I would try a 88 too 95 computor s10 if i could get deal on one.Though they dont have the intake burn out capacity.

1 Like

Good intent information you are putting up Jesse DH
You are correct that Ben Petersonā€™s book is written for mostly stationary systems work. You must adapt over of vehicle systems. His later 2nd publication of his book with his then included Mustang in-trunk charcoal system was a, ā€œI can too do cars too!ā€. Unfortunately he and I are in the Peoples Commune of the EverGreen Washington State. West/wet side and eastern Spokane county have emissions cops, Clean-Air-Action agencies with toll free squealer hot-lines. Doing DYI alternative fuels is pretty much hush-mouth here.

Wayneā€™s system and book/site support is the best for vehicle that there is.
For the needs-maths proofs and precise blueprints (four different sized systems) mind-set types; then Vesa Mikkonenā€™s out of Sweden is one to get also. 121 Euros to buy when I got mine in 2010.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

7 Likes

Yeah Steve, itā€™s getting tougher all the time here in this state. If you turn in tags here, they want to know what you did with the vehicle. You are not supposed to store untagged vehicles on your property. I am curious to see what happens the first time I go through the Ft. McHenry tunnel with a wood fired truck. Iā€™m sure that will get their panties in a bunch!

4 Likes

You might have to get a food license and put Hallā€™s Smoke Meats sign on your truck. Might be able to get a tax write off.
All kidding a side. Donā€™t brag about it, and stay away from car shows, no signs on my truck, just drive it, glad I live in central Washington no emissions checks yet.
Bob

7 Likes

Not a bad ideaā€¦Hmm. You could sell beef jerky and smoked fish. You would have to have a real food smoker then! Good cover story! :sunglasses:

3 Likes