Hello From Brazil

Hi, Nicolas here from southern Brazil, i am the owner of an old 1979 VW Fusca 1300, i just found this forum when i was searching about aircooled VWs in wood gas and due economical crisis here and fuel prices raising, i will search a way here to create a wood gasifier in my little clunker. i’ am fascinated about Brazilian-made cars with wood gasifiers since we used them in WW2 and 70’s oil crisis… here is my little clunker:

12 Likes

A rear bumper mounted charcoal gasifier would be perfect I think! I’m not too familiar with VW cars so is the 1300 for the cc engine size?

5 Likes

Welcome from western Pennsylvania! This is a great place to learn.
kent

4 Likes

Hello Nicholas. Wellcome!

Cody, those cars have the engine in the trunk and the trunk in the front. Thats a hint of what l might do with the position of the gasifier :wink:

9 Likes

sadly is 1300cc, probably i will get 60 km/h of maximum speed and a 0-60 in 45 seconds but i dont care hahaha

9 Likes

I do know that much, I just don’t know specific models of VW by name other than the Jetta or Beetle/Bug or Rabbit.

3 Likes

Sounds about right yes :smile:

5 Likes

hahahaha i will put like this:
images (13)

or like this:

so i dunno what i will do hahahaha, but i burn will some firewood, bbq charcoal, and anything that i can burn as fuel :smiley:

8 Likes

You can find pictures of gasifers in the front trunk on VW’s in Germany.
Bob

4 Likes

Hello Nicolas and welcome to the DOW.

You may want to read through the below thread to get some ideas of what to do or not do .

6 Likes

Welcome Nicolas.

We have a member from Argentina, Eddy Ramos, that has been touring S. America in his wood gas truck. Maybe he came though your area. As usual I tried to look up his web site and got someone else.

3 Likes

Eddy Ramos in Argentina is on facebook as /groups/autoabasura/ . Eddy just completed a tour…“Yesterday 10/03/22 we arrived home safe and sound in Anisacate, Cba. We did a TOTAL tour of 10,500 km for 90 days. The challenge was to travel from end to end the continental Argentina, 6.300 km using only GASURA as a single fuel. Completed the glorious day 25/02/22. Historic!” Eddy had a huge amount of tv and press coverage.

11 Likes

First welcome to the group!

I would suggest reading up on woodgas, maybe Wayne Kieth’s book. You may not exactly use his design, but I think you are starting from about zero knowledge, and it is a great introduction. Most of the concepts between gasifiers are pretty similar. It gives a solid background.

Then you have to pick your source of fuel, you in part design around that, and what materials you have and how you process it to make is usable is going to depend on various factors. But having the background knowledge is going to speed up the process for you, even if you decide to make a charcoal gasifier.

7 Likes

You might like to look at Joni’s 8.0 thread Nicolas.

I could be wrong but so far he is the only one I’ve seen stopping along side the road to grab handful of materials to run his car. That’s impressive.

7 Likes