Historic woodgas tractors

göran, thanks for all the explanation, very interesting… with our old engines this problem can appear, and than is a method to risolve…in future i will look for some old gasoline tractor for to convert on chargas…
impressive your knowledge in a lot of things…and also impressive what collections of tools you have…
ciao giorgio

7 Likes

chargas fever goes on…
yesterday was the transport of the new old fiat tractor from 1950 with hand-cranc…like tone´s fiat…but in what conditions i dont know…mabee i must refresh the ignition magnete with the reciepes from our swedish engine doctor göran…
the owner secured me at the phone that the engine runs, so , because not having car for make a visit before( it is a bit distant), i had to go immediately with a friend with his military truck to load up…but there the tractor notstarts, also not drafted by another tractor…the owner says because of cold freezing weather, and showed me a short film from yesterday???
(who knows) where parts of the tractor were to see, and some noise of a motor…but maybee?? the noise was from another tractor nearby, this would be typically italian…
anyway,half drive was done, so we loaded up hoping we bring the tractor to run…next days i will try if the spark plugs make a spark…the rest of the engine looks good, the exhaust pipe is always complete original , what could be a sign that the engine not has worked too much…the chains are a bit down, but this is not a problem for my use…
ciao giorgio

14 Likes

That is a really nice tractor Giorgio, congratulations! (Im very jealous)
Is the magneto a Bosch or Marelli?
If you got no spark, check points for corrosion first, can be a very hard layer, best is to use fine sanding paper, 800 grit, the type for metals, or the “wet sanding type”.
Does the magneto have a “impulse-coupler”? (Makes hard, clicking noise when engine turns over slow)

9 Likes

Giorgio, I’m glad you got the tractor, I see it also has lights, mine doesn’t have them. The first series of these tractors were without lights, but then a dynamo and lights were added. How do you feel the compression (sealing) of the engine when you turn the starter handle? Is the clutch soft, or do you have to use a certain amount of force when pushing the lever forward? I look forward to your posts about this tractor, 100% wood gas. :+1::grinning:

10 Likes

tone, the compression seems good, the crank handle goes strong…the clutch lever needs a bit of force at a certain point when pushed forward…i think it is from the second series 25C , maybee those have the gear a bit slower as your 600?
the left hand chain clutch goes more forward, maybee this is more consumed from working on the fields with the plow…there must be always turned to left side, when it is not a reversible plow…

3 Likes

doctor göran, the magneto is a marelli, has a impulse coupler like tone shows on his video starting the fiat tractor by hand crank
for now not be jealous, because not runs yet…if you search one like this , 6 are actually in italy to sell, what i have found on different pages… of course a bit far from you…one is near venice-treviso…this would be easy reachable for our slovenian friends tone and kristijan…the wifes get a new kitchen stove or something other…peace and harmony in the family…FIAT 601 cingolato petrolio/benzina - Veicoli commerciali In vendita a Venezia
another is near gorice, with plow, but seems in the moment too expensive, if someone is interested i can search the link…i think because if crisis there is no market more for this things, the collectionist seems has stopped to buy ( wifes!!!- no permit more)
so the price maybee can threatet a bit down --( i am not good in this…)

9 Likes

Hi Giorgio, i believe the fact at it’s not running makes me more jealous, i love to get old engines up and running (as long as it’s not my daily driver) :smiley:
A working impulse coupler is very good if you intend to hand-crank start it, otherwise you probably need help from strong-man Tone, spinning it like a drill. Always a good recomendation to only “pull up” the crank, with thumb parallell to fingers, minimizes the risk of broken thumb or wrist if engine backfires.
If magneto is totally bad (broken or bad windings) there is possible to “convert” a magneto for battery ignition, drawbacks is a battery and alternator/dynamo is needed, but a very cheap way to get it running (have done that on my volvo t31 tractor)

5 Likes

thanks göran, my (crisis- resistant) philosophy is…it must run with hand crank, because batteries are comfortable but maybee in certain circumstances are not to get more…a new battery is normally after 6 years only scrap…and the vehicle is not to start more ( except with a little 4 stroke engine on woodgas of course for starting instead of battery)…besides fuel independence is nice also battery independence…
with the help of the friends of the forum here it will run soon…
thanks for your advices for security when hand cranking!
in sweden there were also gasoline crawlers once?
ciao giorgio

4 Likes

Hi Giorgio, there wasn’t very much gasoline crawlers in Sweden, some tried, the forest companies had some, and the military, very few farmers used them, mostly for “breaking new ground” for farmland.
Fiat crawlers are very rare in Sweden, Allis Chalmers can be seen pretty often, (i once missed a deal on one of those :frowning_face:)
I like your philosopy of not rely on batteries, i know you will be able to get that tractor running good, another tip is to find a spare magneto, then you can have the tractor always running, while repair the other mag. That way you are totally independent. (You maybe notice i dont trust magnetos very much, but thats only because we must understand they are old today, but the quality is superb, no company makes that quality today. It’s like those magnetos fail when you need them the most, therefore i recomend keep one spare, keep it inside dry, and have it ready when/or the other fails, then you can repair the other when there is time left, no stress.)
Fun thing: i have an Wizard low tension magneto that showed NO signs of being repaired, still paint in threads and like, built in 1921, 2021 i should show a friend the engine running, and ofcourse the magneto quit sparking, that is 100 years, i call that quality…
Sorry for the long post, i got carried away some.

12 Likes

A post is only long if it is boring. You have never been guilty of such a sin.

15 Likes

I’d better keep it short then. I just wanted to mention the smile on my face reading your exchange :smile:

12 Likes
7 Likes

thanks rindert for the good informative video , c. i. guide , ideal for me…
this guy has interesting videos…like this one also…making piston rings… Making Piston Rings! In just 131 easy steps?.. - YouTube
this man shure would be also a good wood-gasser…

5 Likes

images
Download
41748_2019_89_Fig8_HTML

9 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

Giorgio, a lot of work is waiting for you (us) to make Fiat breathe wood gas. I have no doubt in your design skills that this will be done in harmony and will fit nicely on the tractor. However, first the tractor needs to be put into working order, well, with mine, I have to rebuild the steering wheel and adjust or rebuild the clutch, it will probably take a year or so before it comes to its turn.

6 Likes

5 Likes

the fiat has spark plugs with 18mm tread…i found in internet that ngk makes 18mm spark plugs yet…or again…

4 Likes

…intermediate piece to 14x1.25 mm, …standard :grimacing:

5 Likes