History channel/woodgas truck

Next episode comes the taring of the motor !!

I can’t believe I drove about ten miles to my brothers house so I could watch that . At least the trip didn’t cost me anything but still kept me up past bed time .

This guy worked with primative tools and now he has welders and torches and huge sawmill bldg., where did that stuff come from? Took me 18 min. to start my engine the first time. Did anyone else notice the barrels bouncing around in the bed of the truck as they drove off(I’ll bet on gas)! I didn’t even know he had electricity on his property. Pretty much what was expected I guess.

100$ that it didn’t start and run on wood, I know if the hopper lid on the caddy is leaking like that one when it starts and runs it stops because vac is pulling in, the smoke leaking out of that lid didn’t change a bit when it started even when he rapped it up!!! I think they cheated and started it on gas!

I’m with Wayne on this one also…

I spent the day (yesterday) out to my fathers and hung out to see the show, it was worse than a joke. We just shook our heads after the show ended. Wes is right, he should’ve leaned over to peer into the hopper, the Doug D would have looked good on him. Yep, I just went there, the singed eyebrows and burnt hair style is now officially called the Doug D. I’m just poking fun at Doug (I can do that 'cause I’ve been there).

I think what was most disappointing for me was the lack of consistency within the program;

The “plans” he showed were a WWII design.
The unit he built more resembled a FEMA, very similar to what was constructed for The Colony (an older TV show).
The “bang” was most likely pyrotechnics, but I supposed there “could” have been some woodgas in there?.
He didn’t adjust anything when starting the truck, it was just a poor running old junker that sputtered a few times before starting.

I pretty much knew it would be a faked production based on the conversation I had with the producer, but what was built didn’t even resemble the plans that were shown. It seemed obvious (to me at least) that the producers have no respect (dare I say even contempt) for the intelligence of the viewer (or lack thereof with reference to the masses). Anyone paying attention would have seen that the presented “system” was not resembling of the “plans” he showed his accomplice. As stated by Mike B, there was no cooling of any kind, and a radiator was clearly shown in the plans.

The history channel used to actually be about History back in the 90’s - am I really getting this old?. This is yet another example of a production that has very thin roots in history being as Wes K said “sensationalized for the masses”. This channel used to be somewhat educational but they’ve strayed from that narrative towards a focus on entertainment. I don’t know if this is a response to the dumbing down of the masses (no child left behind = no standard too low) or another cog in the wheel to help achieve that objective. One thing is for sure, they follow the money and clearly educational history has no profit margin, sadly this mind numbing content does…

1 Like

Cooled down evening gardening, mowing and such DOing Real things I vidio-taped this.
Once through now able to hippy-skippy past the other distracting crap. Next view through will be frame by frame. Thinking already what I’ve seen. Only real thing I saw so far was the through the lighting port char bed buring.
FEMA’s do not use a lighting up to the char bed.

Later. Back out to the REAL world working before the rains come this evening.

S.U.

so I downloaded it so I could see for myself.

they did show two sets of plans… an Imbert and a fema

as far as cooling goes, they did have two other barrels on the truck besides the reactor… if that’s what they are calling it. One could have been a cooler and the other a filter… I have used barrels for cooling.

looks like the wood gas was plumbed directly into the air cleaner snorkel… didn’t see an air mixture valve…

Personally, I’ve never seen a lid leak so much smoke, especially when the engine was running.

While it was a bit of a farce… it really could have been worse… and worse was what I was expecting. Is it any wonder I don’t watch shows like that? No, no it’s not.

Ha! Internet just ate my long, detailed, frame by frame post analysis. You know like trains just jump out and hit cars, trucks and people!

Maybe later again after I do more mowing and sweating recover. Or not.

I agree with ArvidO.
The not-seen behind the scenes actual builder of this system intended for it to at least start-up that truck and drive-away.
This person has woodgas experience and learned system operations knowledge in my opinion.
He/She SUPPLIED those systems illustrations shown on the SAME page. A real reader person.
He/She knew that they wanted a direct to the char bed lighting port. Not a slow FEMA top lite.
KNEW he/she NEEDED a pre-made up woodchar bed. Shows this in the through the direct liting port HOT-Shot photo.
Knew that they would want for wood fuel chips an command/active hearth fuel/char bed shaker/auger/stirrer. Thats the 6" hearth tube cross drilling later externally connected to the horse-shoe handle.
Knew from system use experence that there would be no need for a duration use cooler/condenser on just a start and drive-a-way video moment system. IF the wood chips were dried down good.
Ha! On that: circular saw mills do not make gasifer fuel sized wood chips. Need a BIG gasoline or diesel engine powered chipper to do those shown. Just how much bought out fuel would Eustace; the floppy hat, puffy coated actor, who could not even draw out the correct hearth gas flow; actually save using chipped fuel wood, eh? NONE. Go in the energy hole ever woodgasing the BIG chipper engine on woodchip made woodgas to make more woodchips to make more woodgas. That rooster will eat the hens eggs!
Builder knew what he needed for barrel to barrel crossover piping and fuel gas sized piping. Big. Newbies and the woodgas inexperienced most always make these energy dense gasoline and propane undersized.
The two nerdy id-git’ Hollywood stuntman fabricators on Myth Busters “it-only-has to-be-build-to-work-once-for-the camera-moments” from the these two systems illustrations could have built a ducky woodgas version. But could not have ever made it quack. By these knowings; the operations experience shows.

Arvid, you or I could have made that lash-up work to engine start and fuel for a drive-away. Even if only on actual unreduced smoke gas “fuel”.
But, like that actual builder: NOT for the command-camera-time demands of any info-entertainment producer and director.
Arvid frame by frame shows that the junk yard searched out Toyota EFI door flapper type airflow SENSOR got used under hood as a converted manual control valve. Ha! Voice over guy got that all wrong - never pump anything with that! Voice over guy got a LOT wrong.
Frame by frame shows as has been noted NO external pushed out smoking change on engine cranking and starting up running. Faked? Most likely other fuel done. Seconds editing “apparent” later then drive-away shows NO system smoking at all. So either the engine system sucking down really well then . . . . or: a cold dead gasifier. Vehicle on gasoline.

Using the Toyota system with these knows/wanted system features narrows this down to one or two guys as the builders in my mind. Both could use the money. Decent enough fellows all in all. Simple/clever to use the heavy plate lid on the hearth barrel with the tar/paint bucket as the over pressure relief. NOT a heavy lift to refuel I’d want to use daily. Daily used here the hearth and filter/cooler barrels might last one annual season before corroding though and pin holing leaking be-jesus.
Well actual builder guy(s) I’ll be thinking of you now every time for the next whole year just like after The Colony program at every local get-togather where I’m tring to explain away “Smoking HOT Woodfuel!” “Easy as can be!” “Just uses big barrels” You owe me a nickel for every explain. May you be blessed with many soots.

The lesson to those not ever experienced this is that you can never control the video editing spin-doctors. They’ve had 100 years to perfect their, “It’s the Drama, momma, that Plays.” “Only need to Please, what the camera Sees.”

S.U.

That does it. I’m putting two safety chains on my hopper to lid. And…Henry, I know where you live :slight_smile:

Another spinn…

On the morning of 15. 6. 2014, a 70 years birtday of Pentti Laiho in Finland starts at the uttermost south point Hanko/Hangö in Finland.

His aim is to do a trip “nonstop” to the uttermost northern point of Finland within 24 hours, with his woodgas Volvo, renamed COlvo, because of the used CO gas.
He starts about 07:00 in the morning, passes the mid-country town TAMPERE/TAMMERFORS where he picks up a colleague Juha Kaarela, the original constructor and owner of the car. They continue north keeping the planned scedule well…

Here I am linking in what Vesa Mikkonen had sent to India about this trip, and the consequent mailing from India to the Gasification List:

javascript:popup_imp(’/imp/compose.php’,700,650,‘to=gasification%40lists.bioenergylists.org&thismailbox=INBOX’);

https://webmail.welho.com/imp/view.php?index=24204&mailbox=INBOX&actionID=download_all&mimecache=b2b8898d7fa9ebda1428d1c87aa9a6b0

https://webmail.welho.com/imp/message.php?index=24204#

https://webmail.welho.com/imp/view.php?index=24204&mailbox=INBOX&actionID=download_all&mimecache=b2b8898d7fa9ebda1428d1c87aa9a6b0

Dear Mr.Vesa and pentti

Wow really great achivements and new record , congrets well done …

Can you share how much wood used for same approx ? and if it is run with only wood gas ? wow gr888888888888888 . and can you tell volvo engine specification and its engine is gasoline or diesel ? and whats miles per litre fuel consumption ?

Yes I like to build one in india after six months and to make it compact size so any one can have design please share …

Thanking you and regards,

Kaushik Gardharia
Director (R & D)
Radhe Renewable Energy Dev. Pvt. Ltd.
Plot no. 2622, Lodhika GIDC, PO. Metoda, Kalawad Road, Dist. Rajkot (Gujarat-India) Zip: 360021.
Cell: +91 92275 74030, +91 98797 96260
Email: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Web : www.radhegroup.com

Note: We are closed on every Wednesday.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients
Subject: 1000 miles on wood gas in 24 h

Hello, I’m happy tell you that wood gas really works.

Mr. Pentti Laiho decided to celebrate his 70 years birthday the 15th of

June 2014 on the road and drove with his fried Juha Kaarela from Hanko

(southernmost point of Finland) via Nuorgam (northernmost point of

Finland)

up to Arctic sea to Kirkkoniemi Norway by wood gas powered Volvo. Target

was to drive through Finland in 24 hours and this was achieved in 22 h 30

minutes. Up to Coast of Arctic Sea trip was 1677 km (1,042 miles) and it

took time pretty exactly 24 hours.

Start from Hanko 7:00 am (Sunday 15 th June 2014)

Oulu 3:30 pm

Rovaniemi 7:30 pm

Inari 0:30 am (Monday 16th June)

Nuorgam 4:30 (16th June)

Kirkkoniemi Norway, 7:04 am Finnish time (16th June)

Fuel was delivered beforehand to ?gas stations? on the road. Way back they

enjoyed their trip and visited some friends. Back home they arrived 7 pm

Wednesday June the 18th. The total trip was 3290 km, as he did not have to

return to he start point. The only fuel was wood gas.

Achieved records:

#1) 1 000 miles on wood gas in 24 h

#2) Through Finland from Hanko to Nuorgam 1540 km, 22 hours 30 minutes.

#3) 1900 km at one gasifier heat-up

Picture shows the travellers (age together 130 years) at Kempele Finland

close to Oulu, Nuorgam and at Kirkkoniemi.

Vesa
View Thumbnail
A large image named Colvo and the travellers.jpg is attached to this message.
Click HERE to view a thumbnail of this image.
View Thumbnail
A large image named At the border.jpg is attached to this message.
View Thumbnail
A large image named Kirkkoniemi.jpg is attached to this message.
5 unnamed [text/plain] 0.40 KB Download

This might be better:

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:41:36 +0530 [22/06/2014 10:11:36 AM EEST]
To: [email protected] [email protected] to my Address Book
Reply-To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification Add [email protected] to my Address Book
Subject: [Gasification] 1000 miles on wood gas in 24 h , REALLY GR888
Part(s):
2 Colvo and the travellers.jpg [image/jpeg] 204 KB Download Download in .zip Format
3 At the border.jpg [image/jpeg] 203 KB Download Download in .zip Format
4 Kirkkoniemi.jpg [image/jpeg] 195 KB Download Download in .zip Format
Download All Attachments (in .zip file) Download All Attachments (in .zip file)
Headers: Show All Headers | Show Mailing List Information
1 unnamed [text/plain] 2.41 KB Download
This message was written in a character set (utf-8) other than your own.
If it is not displayed correctly, click here to open it in a new window.
Dear Mr.Vesa and pentti

Wow really great achivements and new record , congrets well done …

Can you share how much wood used for same approx ? and if it is run with only wood gas ? wow gr888888888888888 . and can you tell volvo engine specification and its engine is gasoline or diesel ? and whats miles per litre fuel consumption ?

Yes I like to build one in india after six months and to make it compact size so any one can have design please share …

Thanking you and regards,

Kaushik Gardharia
Director (R & D)
Radhe Renewable Energy Dev. Pvt. Ltd.
Plot no. 2622, Lodhika GIDC, PO. Metoda, Kalawad Road, Dist. Rajkot (Gujarat-India) Zip: 360021.
Cell: +91 92275 74030, +91 98797 96260
Email: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Web : www.radhegroup.com

Note: We are closed on every Wednesday.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients
Subject: 1000 miles on wood gas in 24 h

Hello, I’m happy tell you that wood gas really works.

Mr. Pentti Laiho decided to celebrate his 70 years birthday the 15th of

June 2014 on the road and drove with his fried Juha Kaarela from Hanko

(southernmost point of Finland) via Nuorgam (northernmost point of

Finland)

up to Arctic sea to Kirkkoniemi Norway by wood gas powered Volvo. Target

was to drive through Finland in 24 hours and this was achieved in 22 h 30

minutes. Up to Coast of Arctic Sea trip was 1677 km (1,042 miles) and it

took time pretty exactly 24 hours.

Start from Hanko 7:00 am (Sunday 15 th June 2014)

Oulu 3:30 pm

Rovaniemi 7:30 pm

Inari 0:30 am (Monday 16th June)

Nuorgam 4:30 (16th June)

Kirkkoniemi Norway, 7:04 am Finnish time (16th June)

Fuel was delivered beforehand to ?gas stations? on the road. Way back they

enjoyed their trip and visited some friends. Back home they arrived 7 pm

Wednesday June the 18th. The total trip was 3290 km, as he did not have to

return to he start point. The only fuel was wood gas.

Achieved records:

#1) 1 000 miles on wood gas in 24 h

#2) Through Finland from Hanko to Nuorgam 1540 km, 22 hours 30 minutes.

#2) 1900 km at one gasifier heat-up

Picture shows the travellers (age together 130 years) at Kempele Finland

close to Oulu, Nuorgam and at Kirkkoniemi.

Vesa

Here a video about the trip:

(in Finnish)

Max

Thanks for the video Max.

I can’t understand what is being said but I can easily read the smiles .

Here is a couple of stills from that video.

The righthand insulated barrel contains about a hundred pointwelded SS mesh-tubes, ~16mm in diameter. No cyclone between gasifier and filter.
You can see the connecting tube with the T-piece with the valve and out-blow piece for heating up.
Pressure blower with backflap used and electrical light-up with a small squish of ie white spirit.

On the way up to the Norwegian Ice Sea coast, they used about 3 m^3 of wood.

Max

I feel like I once again got caught up in the hype of the promotion of the show. (Thinking they were really going to do what they said) LOL
It’s Hollywood Illusionists making money with “smoke” and mirrors.
The “gasifier” looking prop was nothing more than a prop.
Has anybody actually gotten one to run with that much smoke coming out the top of the hopper? The smoke was billowing for the “look” of it.
History channel should be ashamed - but they never will be… They are too busy counting money.

This is what the history channel should have shown. El Dorado County's Incredible Wood Fueled Model T Ford - YouTube The only thing wrong with it is the old man driving on wood is not smiling. I thought the explanation of how it works was about as good as I’ve seen.

That was great.

Thanks Don

No surprise. I was wrong.
On my 3rd slow speed frame by frame view through of this History Channels Toyota woodgased truck I saw that the junkyard sourced Toyota “vane type” EFI air flow snensor box was actually behind the cab high mounted. Tee’d into the white woodgas to engine delivery piping just above the hearth/cooler/filter barrels manual shut off valve that ACTOR Preston likes to handle.
Truck engine is defiantly a gasoline carbureted engine with the metal round air cleaner.
So . . . must be the actual system builders intent to have all engine air introduced w-a-y back at this air flow sensor, now a “valve”. Ballsie. A heck of a lot of air/woodgas mix in all of that white plastic piping and metal air cleaner top. ONE engine back fire and kaaboom.
How to control the air let in? Flapper vane is spring loaded to close. fella can dink a certain amount with the spring strength. This could be air in flow self moderating. Heck; even could be pusher air blowing into it.

Why do any of this for a no-intended-workie visual only system??

Just convinces me more that the actual system builder is woodgas using experienced. AND Toyota vehicle woodgasing experienced to play these woodgasing games.

Eustase, THE ACTOR, does say that each barrel has it’s purpose and has to be assembled into place correctly.
Means these were pre-built with purpose intent and knowledge by someone remotely; then giving system assembly instructions.
Imagine the phone calling going on. Assembly. Then operating. Director/producer getting more and more impatient and then special effects faking all just as he/she intended all along.
Smoking for visual effect, you betcha!
Lid popping too. Cutting torching throwing hot bright slag; grinder sparks a-flinging; power drill spinning off cutting spirals ALL for visual dramas/mommas moments too.

Hearing from my B-I-L that a Toyota truck was used I’d hoped some bright quick fingered production assistant had gone net searching and found that National Geographic “Planet Mechanics” UK/London project. With JohanL’s non-cited personal blog pictured step by step system building. His reference to Werner. And Werners “Canadian Project” pictured/videod step by step building: a decent stick welder fellow could have made up a chunk wood fueler system easy enough. THESE what I hand out to the locals come to my door knocking.
At least then when done with the Eustase THE ACTOR photo moments then would have something useable left behind for someone serious to use.

Max thanks for the systems explaining on the COlvo. I LIKE that name.
DonM thanks for the screen shot stills of that.
I wore out at ~2;00 minutes paint dry watching for more of the vehicle driving. The two gentlemen talking did sound very sincere.

You guys and your video’s, though.
That to me the whole learning point of this History Channel embarrassment example.
Pull up the shirt top and flash’ed them for attention! What next? Drop your shorts too! Sheeple TV feed is now voyeurism. (my dictionary says - a person who enjoys seeing the pain and distress of others)
Heck, even as far back as 2500 years ago the wisdoms were teaching, “Ulysses look away!” Plug your ears with wax against the Sirens alluring call.
Dufus ACTORS in stupid hats, days worn body oder clothes has no allure to me at all.
Give me a pretty girl woodgas using for a purpose like in some of Vesa’s and Erics and Johans gas works any day. Makes me smell Home fresh baked cookies and breads. Hear squealing children playing to dirty and then squeaky fresh cleaned. Love, and Life, and the Future ongoing. Thats the real woodgas Hope offered.

Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Hey Dan, thanks for your comment.
I enjoy watching the “Mountain Men” show on the History Channel. In my opinion it’s one of the few tolerable shows on TV. I don’t know about Eustace’s gasifier, whether it’s a fake or if it’s real but either way I’m not gonna knock him because that particular episode is how I ended up here on “Drive on Wood” and I suspect every time they play an episode with Eustace’s gasifier in it this website will grow. Hey Eustace, Burn Baby Burn.
While I understand there is a certain (or uncertain) amount of ACTING on these shows like “Mountain Men” and “Duck Dynasty” I have never one time caught those people teaching my 9 year old son to smoke dope,snort cocaine, smoke crack, do meth, murder other people, sleep with a married person, betray their friends or a whole lot of other things that our kids are subjected to on a daily basis on other shows.
I know that no TV should be my goal but for now I just try to be careful what I put before mine and my son’s eyes. Sorry for the rant, thanks for reading.

I just watched the show Sunday. As soon as they mentioned the gases that it runs on is hydrogen and nitrogen, this will be a sugar coated version of wood gassing a vehicle. I guess I wasn’t expecting a documentary. I guess just putting wood gas out there for awareness is more than what we have received in the past.