Jakob's chracoal/wood tractor build

Jakob started getting his old Earth Master going yesterday. He pulled it out of a scrap yard about a year ago. He got an engine mounted and got it running. He was driving around yesterday. When he gets all the kinks out and fixed up some he plans to put it on charcoal. Maybe try to build one of the smaller wood systems or try out this thing of Larry’s if we can make sure we don’t have too much tar.

Luke and Jesse extracted 53 lbs of honey yesterday. It seems Jesse likes the extraction better than the pouring off.

Naomi got chased by some bad dogs while riding her bike home from taking the horse to pasture. Fortunately our airdale engaged the whole pack before they got to her, but not before she wrecked. Now we are trying to decide what to do about the dogs. Would rather not upset any neighbors if we can help it.But we have to figure something out.

11 Likes

hey BillyA.
Wanted to put a Like/heart to the first set of pictures.
Her crash pictures made it hard to click though.

Dogs and bikes.
I had to neighbor restitution buy a HarleyDavidon riding neighbor an new set of riding boot from a snapping biting by our AusiShepard dog. Got off lucky at that.
Then spent an actual $1,000 dollars upgrading that properties sides 550 feet of old five wire cow fencing to dog proof. Too many kids bicycle ride there now.

Tough problem you have now.
For her - an ammonia filled distance spray bottle until you can get it resolved.

Best of luck with the neighbor.
J-I-C Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Road rash . My worst case was caused by a dog also. Missed the cat he was chasing but dog turned front wheel 90 and rest was history. Looks like all your kids doing a good job. Like the tractor

1 Like

Nice tractor! I wish him lots of fun.

3 Likes

I was thinking about a paintball gun with pepper spray ammo. But then, we like guns around here.

3 Likes

That sure is a nice tractor. Sorry to hear about Naomi and her bike/dog spill.

1 Like

She’s doing fine. She just bounced through the house. They are all excited about going to the lake this afternoon…with life jackets

3 Likes

Tom, you mention road rash. That reminds me of a wreck I was in when I was 9 or 10. My dad used to do a lot of tractor work. Bush hogging, grading, stuff like that. It was the recession of the 80’s and whatever came along was welcome. Anyway, often when he had to move equipment not too far on back roads, he would have me drive the tractor and he would follow along behind in the truck towing a trailer with implements or the bush hog or whatever. One time the truck stopped and I didn’t notice until I was a mile down the road. A man driving a 3/4 ton truck behind me had an epileptic seizure while driving and hit the gas full throttle. I was on an old 1947 International H with that spring seat that sticks out behind the rear axle. And there was a channel iron hitch on the back that made kind of a ramp. We used it to move mobile homes back then too. That truck hit me from behind and the front of the truck ramped up the hitch and the big tractor tires grabbed it and pulled it up yet more and when the hood hit the bottom of that springy seat I got launched forward about 50 or 60 feet in front of the tractor (as far as I can recall, never really measured it). And then I slid for a long long time. Probably not as far as I remember. I finally stopped at a telephone pole but I didn’t hit it very hard. I slid a long ways on some kind of chip-n-tar pavement that we had in FL. I remember my grandma being amazed at my not having ripped any clothes but underneath I was one big scab. She kept pouring alcohol all over the place which hurt like crazy. It’s funny now, but at the time I was more worried about my Dukes of Hazard t-shirt than anything else.

3 Likes

Late 40’s International H my Dad had one also.narrow front trip bucket loader. Do not kick it into neutral when going down Ostrander’s hill so you can go faster than road gear. But I survived:scream:
Thanks for bringing back that memory:relieved:

2 Likes

Ours is still around. Actually my brother gave it to Jakob. He was just complaining this week that Jakob hasn’t come over to get it out of his barn yet. When I was young it was set up on propane. Cracked a head years ago. Then right after Luke was born we moved home from college — the month after 9/11—and we farmed sorghum. i put a gas burner in it. Then it sat at my brother’s place for years. I guess it would still run…Jake wants to find out. He inherits a lot of projects from other generations…I figure it’s good training. But no front loader. I think it needs a radiator…and tires

2 Likes

I have my grandfather’s 1950 H the tires are junk the motor was worn out really bad the last time I ran it back in 93 I think. It is the tractor I am debating making electric. Those narrow front ends are tippy but they sure turn on a dime.
Looks like your kid has a good start on that tractor project. Just keep an eye open when he starts I am thinking you might have a wheele machine there and might need to add some front end weight. The old motor probably weighted alot more than that modern one.

1 Like

Jakob is in the shop working on his tractor. I just heard it ride past the house in the rain. I think I’ll go see what he’s up to…

Edit: turns out it was not the tractor going by the house. It was his great grandmother’s lawn mower he was fixing for her. He did get a little done to the tractor though, Tidying up loose ends and such. New throttle cable.

4 Likes

Jakob is working on his cyclone…I need to get some pics of that…

These pics are of our removing the gasifier from the truck today. I have some air leaks that need fixed. Also got it a little hot last time I drove it 100% wood. Not sure what I will find. May need some diagnostic help when I get it apart. In any case…one more thing right…

11 Likes

Jakob keeps bugging me to post some pictures. He has been working on his tractor, but I haven’;t had time to post them. Try to get them up soon, I think he has finished his cyclone, ash dump, filter, nozzle, and was welding the door to the hopper when I came home tonight. Here are a couple I have here now. I’ll try to get a few more up soon. We are having trouble finding the fittings we need to use our argon gauge on a co2 bottle. We are out of argon so he is stick welding everything. He’s using more grinding wheels than would be nice. But He’s getting there.

And then there’s two of Jesse welding together his drive pipe for his ram pump the other day. He researched it and built it all by himself and got it pumping and it’s doing well.

Uploading…

4 Likes

Sorry, some of those pics didn’t upload, I’ll try again here.

And then there’s Naomi and Jesse baking a periodic table of elements. The lead and uranium were actually quite tasty.

9 Likes

It is about time ya got those pixs posted, I was running out of patience!! hahaha But I understand, this time of year there is everything that needs to be done first, I’ve been painting all day, just in time for some cool weather tonight. I don’t know what an argon fitting looks like, but I saw a LH thread fitting on a propane tank regulator…might work. I guess it is about 1/4" NPT on one side, and the thing yanno is LH thread, might have some kind of porous metal filter material in the barrel of the fitting. The fitting might be either way female or male?..maybe this pix will match what your saying?

The thing about Pb & U, they are kina heavy elements, so don’t eat too many, make you sleepy.

Bytheway, notice my pix, says: 175kb’s. so it uploads quick & is easy for everyone to see, but your pixs, nice shots they are but it says for one pix. 1.7mb’s…which is wayyyyyyyyy too big a size, and that is why it won’t upload easy. Try resizing your pixs after you take a snapshot, down to smaller size, OR you can sometimes readjust your camera to take smaller size pixs in the first place ‘email size’ they call it sometimes…just saying.

2 Likes

Hello all, Jakob here. Here are a few more pictures of the last few day’s work. I have a question for you darkside guys. In the top picture you can see the pipes between the hopper and the cyclone. Would it be too hot to use a rubber coupling at that point?

5 Likes

Hi Jakob, that is a charcoal gasifier, right? If you can find some high temp radiator hose I think that might work. With a full tank of charcoal the gas loses heat pretty fast and by the time it gets to the top it should be below 150 degrees and radiator hose can stand 200 degrees easy.

5 Likes

the rubber coupling should be fine. Maybe search out silicone if its available it has a higher temp rating. The exit temperature of the gas should remain low if there is enough charcoal over the reaction zone to convert the co2 into co. The best way to know if you are out of reactable charcoal in the hopper is when that exit temperature spikes. Its a toss up if your engine stalls at that point. I installed a temperature dial there myself as an indication of when I’m reaching “empty”. All I use is abs plumbing fixtures and sump pump hose so they would fail before your rubber coupling so you’re safe… Hope that helps ,the build looks great!
David Baillie

4 Likes

I agree with the above. The disadvantage of silicone hose is that small cuts can become big cuts.

1 Like