JO´s 8" gasifier

Hi, Jan-Ola!
18. of July 2016

Thank You! Rinse the 2 coolers from the top outlet down furiously and empty.
Then leave the bottom tank half-filled with clean water, when it comes out clean.
Preferably leaving a measured volume of hot water, then you can see the (difference) at next draining and measuring.

The outlet gas from the cyclone should be able to heat the water in the “bottom tank” so the evaporation and condensing cycle should start.
For Imbert GMR and FSD the temperatur goes from 60 to 90* Celsius, otherwise there will be no significant circulation.
The last resort is to insulate the bottom tank… to get the steam.

If the cooler tubes are now “well insulated” by soot, you will be led to believe that the gas is also cool…

I have seen your startup gases all going through the coolers!

1 Like

Why didn’t I come to think of that. I should have :blush: Tomorrow’s task.

This really is adictive like nothing else. I’ve been playing constantly last few days, driven close to 400 km on wood and I think of nothing but woodgas.
I want to thank everyone on this forum for beeing my help and inspiration. Without you all sharing I would not have gotten this far.

By the way, checked the rpm live today at 100km/h. It’s close to 2500.

8 Likes

Made a 130 km roundtrip visiting an old friend today. Before I left I fluched out the coolers and filled about 3L of water into my condensation tank. When I got home only 0.5L came out??? It seems the water steamed off more than what condensed back from the cooler although the top of it is ambient at all times.

When hedding home again I started off with a really tight charbed, about 20:1. Power was no more than what you normally get from a high idle. Couldn’t hold it down much without getting a full 40" vacuum.
I did suck in my filter barrel again - brazing moved.
After a few miles on full vacuum I was back to a normal 5:1. It’s possible I poked down to much before I refilled, cruching a lot of char.
Also melted my plastic hopper juice can. It started to leak. Ended up repairing on the road side with ducktape and a cut up can of coke for a heat shield.

Working on the 75%

6 Likes

Hang in there JO, it is a “test” every time I drive. When lighting, ,I only make a small (2" dia) in the center, all the way down. Light here, then cover with wood. Maybe poke around the perimeter to unglue the pieces tar stuck to the hopper wall. If I’m running a high vacuum ratio, I may poke, and light in two places, always as far down as possible.

2 Likes

Tanks Carl, I only stayed for an hour and a half so I didn’t light at all this time. Pushed down the cavity and ratteled around a bit to much I think.

1 Like

Hello, Jan-Ola!
20. of july 2016

Here we go again! Now it is my turn to ask: Why did i not come to think of that?!
You have repetedly stated, that the cooler’s upper end is ambient at idle run.
Never on the road!
You never stated, and I never asked, how it feels half way down and lower!
That is well as such, but far from enough!

Ref: An Imbert mantel 1,5 m high 0,5 diameter makes 2,36 m2 cooling area, added transport tube to the cooler proper, together ~3 m2
total cooling area before the cooler with 1,1 m2 cooling area!!!

Your cooling area = 0,6 m2 after the condese tank…

Numbers talk. It seems like you need to 4-fold your cooling area to be able to return most of the condense to the condense tank.

My old formula says 1.8 x 2.500 x 0.6 = 2.7 m2 ; haggling is no good.

Further, take 1" more off from the reduction height; if it is an overshoot, it is easy to screw it down 0.5" or so.

2 Likes

Comparing those Imbert numbers the same way to mine, I have 0,7 m2 preheat and 0,5 m2 condence tank. Together 1,2 m2 total cooling area before the cooler with 1,0 m2 ( 0,6 vertical, 0,4 horisontal) cooling area.

Preheat areas are of course not all exposed to cold air, but anyway - it’s about half in total. Still the upper parts of the cooler is just above ambient even after long hard pulls. Lower parts I can hold with bare hands, feels warm, not hot. These were the pipes I had on hand when bilding.
I haven’t emptied the bottom of the hay filter yet. I expect most of the rest of the water to be found there, because I haven caught a drop in my piping up to the front. Also these have been the warmest days of the year so I don’t think I’ll bother change anything. If I do, that might be fins on the tank and lower parts of the cooler.

The extra steam however seemed to help cooling. My temp probe is right after gas enters from the cyclone into the tank. I was reading about 100 C less than usual after adding that water. Long time hard pulls usually gives up to 300 C. This time I never went over 200 C. And this was before my plugging, on my way there, with “normal” 5:1 readings.

You are probably right about grate hight, but I don’t want to puch it. Yesterday’s plugging may also have to do with, apart from hard poking, some spruce/fir that sneaked into my fuel. Also I think I brought smaller fuel than avarage on that long trip. Should have been the other way around. I think I will even experiment with some fuel not so dry, witch might represent what I’ll be using the rest of the year.

I remember the words of a celebrity you all know:
“There are so many variables…”

2 Likes

Hello! Is my name TomC or Oliver Twist? ( wasn’t he the guy that fell asleep for several years? ) I have been off here for a while and I come back to find a fellow that we were all trying to mentor and encourage just a short time ago. He was planning on building with pipe and a stainless steel coffee pot but had no idea what he was going to run with it or how big it would be.
Today I come on and he is talking details about cooling area and Embert dimensions, with one of the old time experts and I have almost no idea what they are saying. Did I wake up in a different time???TomC

3 Likes

Hello tom C I think that is rip van winkle you’re emulating.
Yes, JO is one of our rising stars.
That will teach you to be off slumbering under a haystack while the rest of us are working.

4 Likes

Yes thank you. My folks didn’t read kids stories to me at bed time. My dad read me the Popular Mechanics.
To tell you the truth I was out “pouting” and I gave my truck a “time out” for a few days. Today I worked on it’s attitude and maybe it will get out of the garage — when and if it cools down. TomC

5 Likes

That’s funny, Andrew. TomC should try speed up a bit.
We have a saying: “The ground is always frozen to lazy chickens”.

In villages a few miles northeast of me, where you still don’t understand peoples accent, a friend of mine used to fill-in as a teacher.
For half an hour a day kids are often allowed to read their own “desk book”, it’s usually Pippi Longstocking, Winnie the Puh or such.
He told me 9 out of 10 of these kids read hunting magazines.

4 Likes

Around the village on wood. No guages (almost).

15 Likes

Thanks for the ride Jan. You sure have pretty countryside there. It looks like red with white trim is the favorite color for buildings there.

2 Likes

Wonderful trip around your village. Thank you so much. Beautiful to look at and gives us an idea what the country is like.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ride JO!!

Beautiful area !

2 Likes

Oh my gosh!!! I loved that ride through your area. I think Johan gave us a ride on youtube with the old fellow with the grey WWII truck through their area and I was impressed with the simplicity of the roads. I thought over the years that may have changed but I see it is still the same. As a whole, you have to be more relaxed people. Here we allow ourselves on hour to drive if someplace is 60 miles away and if we catch two stop lights in a row we go into “road rage”. There with the narrower roads and the winding between buildings you have to drive much slower and more relaxed. I do envy you that. TomC

Edited; The first time I watched this my audio was not working so I didn’t get the appreciation that you mentioned doing this for me. I even enjoyed it much more the second time. I have to ask— what are all the buildings in you village that look like VERY large garages or more like small barns? Go rent out that “party house” I think we would all like to come and see this in person-----during the summer. TomC again.

3 Likes

Hello Jo , I sure liked that ride .looks like your truck is running good to.
Calvin…

1 Like

The copper mine in the town of Falun, 20 miles from here, was the world’s largest copper mine. It shut down 1992 after being active for more than 1000 years. Recidual product from the mine was " iron vitriol". It turns red when heated up. 300 years ago people started mixing that with rye flour and water and painted their houses. It has a very preservant effect on wood. Most people in this part of the country still use it. It has become a tradition.[quote=“TomC, post:236, topic:1928”]
o ask— what are all the buildings in you village that look like VERY large garages or more like small barns?
[/quote]

They are mostly old barns or outhouses. People like to preserv them and make them into garages or guesthouses. Most want them to look old on the outside, but inside there is floor heating and modern standard.

4 Likes

Thanks Jo, nice to see places, and hear history from other countries that I would never get to in person. I love history. Thanks again, Al

4 Likes

That is very interesting. I have been to some of the biggest in the US and they are “huge” Only probably about 70 years old. Can’t imagine how big a hole they dug in 1000 years even with more primitive tools.TomC

1 Like