JO´s 8" gasifier

Great ride and nice to have a good camera girl too, need to let her do it more often. I love the get up and go your rabbit has.
Bob

1 Like

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/5800991267.html
200,000 miles and wants $4000 for it. Makes someone else’s look awful good.TomC

Miles X 2
Price X 8
8 years older
Diesel

Thank you… but…No, thank you :smile:

When doing some maintenace today I discovered lots of small char coming outof the condensate tank when flushing. Some of them 1/4". The cyclone collector had only fine dust and very small char as usual.
A few days ago I did some performance testning. I did quite few 0-60 mph tests - WOT reving 3500 rpm. Also I suspect my dump beeing rather full. I haven’t emptied it for several 100 miles and it holds only a gallon or two.
It seems the cyclone can’t handle max flow. I always thought it was on the big side beeing 5" dia.
Well, no harm done - just an observation.

1 Like

I have noticed similar clumps from the condensate tank but found they were just wet soot balls
But they can sure plug up the drain plumbing

3 Likes

that’s why I went to a 4in drain no clogging here.

4 Likes

I look at at the roads and several things about your videos come to mind.

Good roads much better than Canada.
How do they do it? lower weights and speeds maybe reduce damage, or just more frequent repaving?

Clean, I do not see disposable cups and plastic bags.
I wish people around here were more civic minded.

Grass grows right to the edge of the curbs with no signs of sands or sweeping.
This must mean no road salt or sand is used in winter, or winter conditions are very mild where you live and you simply do not get as much snow ( plowing alone is except able ).

The condition of the VW looks very good for its age.
Must be because of no rock salt used on roads.

The car and gas generator are very interesting too.
But I like watching your car ride videos just as much to see the nice countryside.
Thank you for posting this.

4 Likes

Hi Wallace,
Thank you.
I don’t know anything about Canadian road conditions, but they have gotten worse here over time.
Unfortunately they do use salt on the big roads most of the time where I live, but only 100 km north of me they don’t use it at all - to cold to benefit from it. My little Rabbit is brought up in the north.
Sand is collected from the curbs in springtime and we do have a tradition of no littering but I guess that tradition is rappidly going down the drain.

3 Likes

Hi JO,
Did you determin what is the reason for that high temp operation on longer drives?
I experianced a similar thing a few days back and imidiatly thod of you.
I was driveing on hoper no. 3 on a rather high gas demand and suddenly the performance worsened. I thod of that slight constipation l usualy have so reved up on WOT for a minute like l usualy do to clean the charbed. But no use. Worse in fact. Drove home and when l touched the cooler it was boiling hot. Found no airleak, everything normal just HOT.
Next time l drove on lower gas demand, exspecialy on slower roads where cooler runs less efficiently due to lower air speed on the cooler, and the power was good all the way and the cooler stayd cool.
I think there is a chain reaction happening. The cooler start getting hot. Hot gas has more volume, l press the throttle more for the same power, there is more heat for the cooler to deal with. The gas gezs hotter and so on and so on. Does this make sense?

4 Likes

You were probably over pulling the gasifier and it went into heater mode
Oxygen not all used up on the way through the char so the gas is burning below the grate

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense.
In my case I think I also have a bit more metal to heat up but when it does the heat have nowhere to conduct and I’ m left with (low) cooler capacity only. Also my hopper gets hotter and condence less water. More steam losening my charbed and hotter outgoing gas as a result. One hopper (40 min drive) is ok but into the second one i start to feel the symptomes.

2 Likes

That was allso my thod, but someties l pull much harder wirh no problems. Untill l reach that point of no return…
But l guess that saying of gasifiers being female is allso true, they get moody sometimes…

4 Likes

Did some maintenace again yesterday and you know what? I emptied water from my condensation tank for the first time!!!
All my water has until now ended up in the hayfilter. But this time I had more water in the tank then in the filter barrel. Finally outdoor temps starts to fit my cooler area :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi JO, great news!
How are cold temps effecting the rest of the settup?

Jan-Ola, that might be telling you might need more cooling rails to get your gas to the dew point when the ambient temperature is warmer. Now it’s colder the rails are pulling the moisture out and it’s going to your condensation tank. Do run your gas though your condensation tank first and then to your rails against the flow so the water drains back into the tank? Glad it working good now.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,
I decided to wait extending my cooler until spring. That way I might get away with less insulation on things during winter. Yes, it’s an against the flow system: Cyclone - tank - rails. I’ve been quite happy with emptying the water from the hayfilter but now I might even get some self cleaning of the rails.

I haven’t noticed any differences yet except for water in the tank. Temps are still +5 to +10 C in day time. No lower than -7 C at nights and I’ve only done a couple of -5 C startups yet. So far so good. I’m a bit worried what will happen to the hay over time. As long as day time temp is positive I guess I’m fine.

3 Likes

Drove a 110 mile trip to visit this little fellow today. He’s moving to our house in a couple of weeks.

A quick stop at the gas station, but only to let wife visit the bathroom. I waited outside, watched the price tags and smiled. I already fueled up before we left home. No hybriding.

6 Likes

Very cute little dog/ What is he some kind of Shitsu. How often did you have to stop and fill up? I am headed out to work on the truck. Came home on gasoline last trip— don’t have any idea what went wrong. I often come home and work on the truck because I have though of something during the ride I “want” to change. This time I have to work on it because I “have” to to get it running. I don’t like being pressured like this.
Looks like you had a nice day for the drive. How is your wife taking you driving on wood? I have noticed lately that when I come driving up in the blue truck from the shop, she often meets me, and ask where I’m going and do I want a rider. She was born up here but left home when she was 19 and never really drove around the area. I was Town Chairman and spend many days driving around and know the town very well. So I try to go places she maybe has a remembrance of but hasn’t seen in many year. Opps I getting gabby. TomC

2 Likes

It’s a Miniature Schnauzer, same as the little lady that left us in cancer this summer.

Stopped and filled up ones each way. Burned three of them six gallon bags in 110 miles.

When I first started the build she rolled here eyes but now, belive it or not, she keeps telling me to woodgas another vehicle with a back seat for the dogs and granddaughter :smile:
I hope you get your truck up and running on wood again soon.

2 Likes

Hi Jo
My wife is a Schnauzer lover, that’s all she will have. She really liked your picture, said you picked out a pretty one.

1 Like