JO´s 8" gasifier

Thank you!
I can’t take the credit for picking. To me all the puppies looked the same. Wife says hello and thanks.

Good evening fellow woodgasers,

I’m at 2235 miles on 99% wood since July. In fact I haven’t driven on dino at all since then, apart from startups and minimal hybriding. I’ve consumed maybe 3-4 gallons tops. Oh, maybe another 3-4 gallons for firewood gathering with old Fergie.

This is a typical drive. This time going to the store.
Apart from adjusting my air valve pulling woodgas to the engine leaving home during warm up, I didn’t touch it again. Not even leaving the parking lot at the store. Apart from lighting up and adding wood there is little difference from driving on gasoline - much cheaper of course :smile:
Edit: And a lot more fun :smile:

10 Likes

Thank you for the early morning ride. Always enjoy it. How do you hold your camera while you are driving??? I have tried videoing while driving and if I posted it you would get “sea sick”.TomC

3 Likes

I just hold the phone in my hand. But yes, I could use a third hand from time to time. It gets a little shaky with a stick shift and all.

1 Like

Wow I’m impressed with your gasifier and your skills on driving it Jan-Ola. Thanks for the drive with you. I’m curious too like Tom, you drive a standard shift how do you hold the camera so steady when driving. You have it down just like Wayne does. I love the highways just white stripes on the sides of the road, and nothing in the middle. It reminds me of the roads when I was young and watching my Dad drive.
Bob

2 Likes

Thanks for the video JO . It is amazing how well and un-noticed vehicles can run on wood !!

I sure wish I had knew about wood gasification 50 years ago :rage:

Hello Mr. Bob .

Wayne can’t hold the camera steady anymore without bracing on something .

2 Likes

Very impressive video
I love it when I can see that it is a well working system being used for real world stuff
Not a show piece or hobby
I have never seen my rails go over 15" of water vacuum. Is your gauges in MM?
I noticed your gauge approach 40?

1 Like

Nice ride JO. When the motor dies as soon as you shut the inlet air, and no smoke shows, it’s a good sign of a tight system. Your English is very good. Driving a WG Rabbit, filming, and translating in you mind all at the same time is enviable.:grinning:

1 Like

Oops ment CM
Need 40 characters

Thanks for the ride Jo, didn’t realize you all drove on the right side of the road!:oncoming_automobile:

Thanks for the ride JO. Seems like I was sitting right there with you. What makes that ratcheting noise at 2:45?

I want to be a man, but I can’t help feeling good about all these thumbs up from you old boys :smile: Thank you!

I’m sorry to disapoint you, but only small country roads are without the middle ones.

My setup gets noticed allright :smile: but smiles only. Most people over here know what’s going on.

They are in mbar. 100 mbar = 40" H2O
The 40 mbar in the video means 16" H2O.
This means needles move the same as yours ( If you have 40" guages)

Only England is consevative enough to stay left :smile:

Lot’s of noice in this vehicle. I think this was only something rolling on the dash. The camera picks up more than I hear.

1 Like

JO, you make it look so easy. I cant tell you how impressed l am with your sistem. Simple but effective!
Did you notice any more power with cooler outdoor temps?
I allso have a question on your air/gas mixing. I cant find much info about it on the topic so culd you maybe say a few words about that and l hope l am not to pushy, a few pictures? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually the hardest parts are the filming and the talking. I don’t talk a lot even in my own language (my wife does that for me :smile:) The rest is quite easy. Miss Rabbit and I get along just fine.

Kristijan,
Pictures tomorrow in daylight. No problem.
I can’t say I’ve seen any power difference due to outdoor cold temp.

2 Likes

He he he he!! I think I’ve heard that before.TomC

2 Likes

Tom, we learn from the master :smile:

3 Likes

By the way, I found a “meat thermometer” like yours. This after noon I am waiting for a call from a machine shop. I have been to Green Bay and around looking for metal to repair my hopper. Found a place that will order it for me and also roll me a cone for the bottom of the hopper and roll me a new cyclone. Unless the price is out of sight, I want to let them build the stuff for me. I watched on YouTube how to make cones/cylinders with out a “real” slip roller and I wanted to try it, but if the price is right I will save time, get a better job, and I would probably never use what I learned if I rolled them myself.TomC

2 Likes

Hi Jo
congratulations for your gasifier
you do not seem to have problems with the hybrid drive?
computer rabbit does not pose a problem?
you does not consider building a AutoMixer?

Thierry

1 Like

Hi Thierry,

I think this Rabbit has a very primitiv computer. I wouldn’t even call it a computer. It’s a lambda and a regulator that adjusts fuel pressure, nothing else. Lambda has to be warmed up of course, otherwise it’ll run very rich when hybriding.

I like to keep it simple. I feel no need for automixing. I don’t move my air valve a lot while driving.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to disappoint you but there’s really not much to tell about the air/gas mixing. Homemade valves/dampers inside pvc tubing. Air and gas meets in a Y.
The valve butterflies are made of a plastic paint can lid and pressed into slots in the bolts (shafts). Slots are made with a thin blade in the grinder. Rubber brackets on the ends of the bolts. Lawn mower cables for operating. Nothing fancy.

7 Likes