JO´s 8" gasifier

Max, twinflaps are no longer installed. I use the original one flap throttle body now. The cars computor didnt like the absence of throtle position sensor.

But l see no difference between twinflap throtlebody and the original single flap. Its just that there seems to be something wrong with the entyre air/gas mixing assembly. I think the membrane is too slow too. Ill try to make things better, but first, for the time l fabricate, lll try the manual gasmixing.

1 Like

Hi, Krisijan

I am lost about any diaphragm functions with so far unknown modifications.

One can use the gasoline-air throttle body for air, making use of the flap position reader and letting in woodgas below this throttle body through a Y or T piece! Preferably spiralling.

The woogdas throttle body must however be identical by geometry with the gasoline-air throttlebody.

Then they are ganged together when using woodgas, separated when using extencively gasoline.

The gas-side of the membrane connected just ahead of the woodgas throttle, the air-side just ahead of the gsoline-air
throttlebody.

Still further ahead of the air sampling point comes the arriving pressure balancing flap operated by the membrane.

This flap can be 1m or more ahead of the air sampling point and the gasoline-air throttle-body!

If the gasoline “delivery” is sensitive for the balancing “vacuum”, made by the membrane-operated flap, then the gasoline must be cut-off when driving on woodgas.

This makes a simultaneous two-fuel drive hard to manage…

1 Like

It’s now or never…
A warm breeze, 2 degrees above freezing, made me eager to get out and enjoy myself.
Tomorrow is the rabbit’s inspection day.

3,479 miles on wood since summer and this is what my single 2" pipe looks like right after the woodgas valve in the motor compartment. No wonder top speed is down to 55 mph on flat ground.

Below is my air valve. Might be a good idea to change out that bolt/shaft to ss.

10 Likes

To bad you have to tear down your system to have that inspection, but having a chance to do your own inspection and find problems before they stop you on road might make it all worth the trouble.

4 Likes

JO, by the time you clean out the pipe and other places that have carbon build up and do the needed maintenance on the gasifier, you will be back up to top speed going down the highway. Your gasifier and cooling rails seem to come out in big pieces. Good design work on your gasifier. Lots and lots of pieces if I pull my cooling rails off my truck. I’m glad I do not have to have my truck inspected. Hope your inspection comes out good for the rabbit truck.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Its a happy/sad moment to see those pictures!
Wow this is a lot of carbon!!

It looks identical to what l have had in the gas suply line and intake manifold before l added the “non sunshine let trugh” fabric hotfilter.
Are you planing to do any modifications to the system?

If so, may l propose a idea for you?
Since you have a lot of space in the hayfilter, suggest trying a sack/hay filter combo.
If you remember, l had a sack filter made out of a towel on my litle Seat. This worked so well, eaven after about 1500 miles with chargas passing trugh the origibal engibes paperfilter, the filter fabric stayed white, indicateing NO soot got past the towel filter. It worked best with moist gas as the soot formed a porous crust thet was just shaken off at monthly cleanings.

Hope you DOW soon, and thanks for the kick in the ass to get my petrol drinker back to solar power.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tumbs up guys.
The funny thing is there is not much carbon in the rest of the pipe. I know there’s been talk about carbon buildup from pressure drop downstream throttlebody valves, but this valve is always fully open when driving???

Kristijan, I might try the towel trick. I know there were experiments done during WW2 with textile wet filtering and it didn’t work due to clogging. But it’s worth a try. My hayfilter lid is easy to open to wash down the soot.

Haha, you’re welcome. Easy task for me. You’re the one that have to do the work :smile:

1 Like

So, I guess your engine got a good dose of that carbon too no? How’s your oil look at changes? Is that stuff abrasive at all? Ever had your intake off to have a look at the ports and valves?

BTW, my daily driver is a '99 SAAB 9-3 SE with the B204R :blush:. To bad they never made a 1/2 ton (or did they?).

Yes, the oil is black. Same colour as in wifes 2007 diesel.
That soot in the picture might look granular, but it’s a really fine greasy paste. Some say it’s eaven a lubricant and a sealer. Take a look at Wayne’s latest reply to Kristijan.
About the intake. I’ve tried Waine’s way of lighting the intake a couple of times but I’m not sure how well that turned out. The soot glows a little but not enough to affect how the motor runs during the prosedure. I have no idea what it looks like down the runners. Ha, time will tell. No backfires yet.

Saab 9-3 is still a very common car here. Only beaten by Volvo. Too bad Saab had to shut down. I’ve owened a couple of them. I liked the old 70s and 80s models better though.

2 Likes

Well if Wayne gets the same thing in his intake and his engine is not gobbling oil like crazy, then I guess it doesn’t hurt any. He probably has more than enough wood miles on the engine to show any ill effects if there are any.

2 Likes

Yes, yes, yes!
I’m sorry but I just can’t hold back:
YEEEEEEES!!! I PASSED INSPECTION!!!

When my licence number showed up on the wall and the doors opened my heart raced. When driving inside and a young blond women welcomed me my heart raced even more. Not for the reason you’re thinking of right now but because I was afraid she would be too eager to do a “good job”. It’s been a long time since I felt such an urgent need to make an impression on a young woman. At the same time I had to keep a very low profil not to upset her in any way. Phew!

I started off being honest and told her the car normally runs on gengas and that’s why there are a lot’s of cables and vacuum lines stickig out of the cab onto the bed. Also I told her one of her colleges adviced me to show up without this particular aquipment. Her eyebrows raised for a few seconds and then she said: - So this is where your tank sits? She pointed at the bed. I answered a very quiet: -Aha…
We never touched the subject again.
I was quite nervous every time she cranked up and moved the car to the next station because it idles crappy on gasoline and if it dies it doesn’t like being restarted. The whole car was shivering and so was the dashboard to which my idle adjustment string is attached. I closed my eyes…

20 minutes later it was all over. I’ve never enjoyed handing over my credit card. This time was different.

13 Likes

Cheers to the Rabbit and young blonde woman (not for the obvious reason like you sayd :smile:)!

I know that feeling. Last week when l went on the inspection l rememberd, ironicaly, at the exact time l passed the documents to the inspector, l forgot to dismount the part that the alubox asembly is bolted on. Two thick rusty amateur welded peaces of steel protrudeing right next to the exhaust pipe behind the bumper.
The inspector went under the car, looked for a while, l was thinking to my self “plese dont look on the back side”… then a sharp, commanding voice was heared from underneeth the car “hey young man, come down for a second” l thod to my self ok good bye registration. I came down and the man sayd my balls are loose :smile: and then showed me the loose front ball joint. The relif was beond speakable…

But hey such things are good, some heartraceing has to push the trash of our venes, otherwise we might get a heartatack from the lazynes of the winter when spring comes :smile:

6 Likes

Congrats on the pass, good for another year😊

I had a CEL light last year when emissions test time came up. I unplugged the battery to reset the ecu, and drove the car precisely 100km the evening before the test. I got up on test day and made it to the garage with the light still off, later in the day, I had a passing inspection in my hand😀. I don’t think I was quite as elated as you are, but happy.

The light came back on the next morning as I drove to work lol!

4 Likes

Your story about the female inspector reminds me of when I went to get my Commercial Driver’s License… I was sitting in my semi truck waiting for the inspector to come out and take me for my driving test. The passenger door opened and up climbed a mexican girl with beautiful long black hair and wearing a bright red “jump suit”. Man, I had 13 gears to choose from and I wasn’t sure I could think where any of them were.

On the soot in your feed pipe. On top of the hay in the hay filter I have a 4 inch thick disk of breathable foam like you can find in bed mattresses. Listening to Kristijan talking about using a cloth filter even though it is damp in the gas stream, you might try putting the foam in a pillow “case” for added filter. TomC

5 Likes

With any regular dino car I wouldn’t have thought much of the outcome of an inspection. If any remarks you get another month of driving until you have to order a second appointment to get approval of your fixes and that’s it. This was different. Any remark on this car would have ment my gasifier aquipment would have to stay put in my carport until then. Who knows when the weather gods would have allowed me to reassemble after that. And until then…DOD (driving on dino) - Nooooo!

3 Likes

Hi Jo,

No need for SS…
just build a box full of steel scrub wool with a bottom of oil…
You have a little (to much) acid in your gas (H2S)
The steelwool will reduce that into corroded metal , also will trap more soot

1 Like

So the weather gods did make some good weather this days did you manage to put the system back on?

Koen, thank you for your suggestion. It may be useful in the future. However that rusty bolt is on my fresh air valve. Any metal covered with soot seem unaffected.

Lightup will be first thing tomorrow morning. Everything is back in place + a few minor improvments. I decided to wait with the towel though. We’re back to 10 below again tonight and I think a soaked frozen towel would get rather tight.
Btw I took the oppertunity to fill the rabbit up when I went to town for inspection. First time since summer. It seems I’ve managed to waste 36 L (9 gallons) of gasoline in 5700 km (3500 miles). Lowest fuel consumption I’ve ever had on any car I owned :grin:

8 Likes

JO this looks like a nice tight butterfly valve you made. Can you explain the process a little? Is it made a little larger at top and bottom so it closes tight before it is over center? Is that a split bolt with half on each side?

1 Like

Don, you are right on both accounts.
I knew I had to make at least my woodgas valve really tight to be able to run on 100% gasoline, since only fresh air flow dictates fuel pressure in my injection system.
I happened to have a hole saw that makes inner cirkles slightly larger than 2" pvc ID. Material is a rather stiff plastic lid. I sanded it down slightly to fit one way, exactly the way you explained.
The bolt is not totally split. I just made a slot, same length as the plate dia, with a thin disc in my angle grinder. The plastic plate is only pressed into the slot. Rubber/plastic washers on the outside. Very simple.
When the valve shuts the plastic plate gives a little, which makes it seal good. Works much better then I expected.

5 Likes