JO´s 8" gasifier

Ha, good feeling to be back on the road and be able to feed the woodgas addiction. Gained 10-20 % power when I got rid of that soot bildup.
I made a short video of today’s driving. I’m now able to hold 90 km/h (55 mph) with the same ease as I did 80 km/h (50 mph) before. 60-65 is possible on the flat for a short burst if I really push it, but that creates more heat than power I think.

10 Likes

Looks like we both had fun today :wink:

Good job, and one more thing-you might just hold the record for lowest petrol consumptions of all the members!

3 Likes

How many lb/mile or km/kg (or maybe that should be expressed as kg/100km :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) do you get with the rabbit on wood? That truck must barely weigh 3000 lbs?

Ha, all these conversions are a pita.
In everyday life we actually have our own miles here. One swedish mile (spelled: mil) is 10 km. So every time I look at a road sign I have to shorten with a decimal before I can get a feeling for how far I have left. Simple but still annoying.
When it comes to woodgas I’ve gotten used to inches, miles and pounds due to DOW. When ever anyone around here ask me for milage or dimentions I have to do lots of calculations. Same goes with all the woodgas terminology. I often have a hard time explaining the gasifier setup in my own language :smile:
Anyway, I get about 2 mpp (0.5 ppm) in avarage. Long trips a bit better and short trips not so good. Startups are fast but shutdowns tend to consume quite a lot of wood. I think most of us recognize having a void in the nozzle to lower funnel region after cooling down.

Edit: Oh, the truck weighs 1100 kg = 2400 lbs. Max load is another 500 kg or 1100 lbs :wink:

13 Likes

JO, now that you brought it up. I wonder what contributes to such a big quantity of wood being combusted at shutdown.
Sometimes, l have a cavity from the top of the nozzles to below restriction! So when l light up the char, and poke to colapse the cavity, wood falls in the reduction zone.
No tar so far, but it is possible.

3 Likes

Heh, I know somewhat about the conversions. Here in Canada the Imperial gallon, US gallon, and litres are all still in use. New car gas mileage shown on the window stickers are expressed in Imp. Gallons and Litres/100km. Most Canadians can flip between metric and the US system pretty quickly thanks to our giant neighbor to the south with whom we do loads of business. I had to use both systems in college. In fact, pretty much the only metric drawings I see at work are either foreign or Canadian Government, everything else is US system.

That is a sweet truck and a great load capacity for such a small vehicle! It’s basically a small lightweight half ton truck. I looked them up locally, a nice one will run me 5000.00 (!) here in the “rust belt” (ie the whole country less AB+BC).

2 Likes

That is one heck of a load for that little truck. How do you load the truck with wood that big out in the woods? TomC

2 Likes

Yeah I wondered about that too! And it doesn’t look like the rear springs have even went down! If I had that much wood in my 1/2T pickup it would be dragging the ground! Herb

Jo I enjoy following your project, keep up the good work!!

2 Likes

I guess there could be multiple reasons, but the only one I know from experience is an air leak, or forgetting to close the wood gas valves to the motor. I have gone out in the morning after 12 hours of sitting and still have fire. ( and a HUGE void ) I don’t mind a small void that leaves a volcano like crater. It just lets me get closer to the charcoal for lit-up. I enjoy your thread.

4 Likes

I think Carl is right. Airleaks. When all the heated gases are shrinking during cooldown some air gets in no matter how close to 100% tight your system is.

Mine has a a few patches in the floor, but I only paid 400$. That’s about the price for any small car that is close to junk. Equivalent to 75 gallons of gasoline here.

Ha, it’s dead dry spruce. Only about 100 pounds a piece. I only put that photo up because I thought it looked funny.

It has s very high rear end normally. I did have some problem uphill with the fwd though :smile:

3 Likes

I am sure that there is some combustion going on after shutdown (fire still in there for several hours).
But when hot refueling I will usually make a couple of pokes and the wood settles nearly as much.
This is sometimes difficult to see due to smoke.

The best way to check this is after a hot fill up then turn on the bypass blower to clear smoke, then rod down through the fresh chunks and there is a 2+ gallon subsidence.

4 Likes

Do they dump salt on the roads over there?

Here they’ve started with this liquid salt stuff they spray on the roads. Sticks to your windshield something awful, I can only imagine what a poorly looked after high mileage car will look like 10 years from now with this stuff.

I can tell you it isn’t pretty!!! I want to get sticks that say sponsored by GM Chrysler and Ford and stick them on the trucks spreading that stuff cause it sure does sell new cars. 10 to 15 years and you car won’t pass inspection.

4 Likes

Hmm it makes sence. I never close anything. I think its more likely the air gets drawn in trugh the air nozzles-they are open allso. Looks like lll have to instsll a valve there.
I found it interasting l newer saw such a phenomenom in a charcoal gasifier.

Edit: l anwsered to my self. In a wood gasifier there is a lot of steam involved, wich shrinks much more.

3 Likes

That water will add O to the burn.

Lots of it, but only up to about where I live. Further north it’s not. My Rabbit is brought up north of here. Brobably why it’s still around. Only 160,000 km on it.

4 Likes

I think that is the one blessing to living in extreme cold. If it is cold enough salt just can’t melt ice. Took me a while to figure out, that is why they didn’t use salt here late at night when I worked nights.

2 Likes

I did not know your truck was front wheel drive. Over the years I have written a half a dozen letters to GM asking them to make a FWD truck. They just recently did a complete make over on the Chev Colorado and when I heard it was going to happen I wrote a Letter to Marry Barra, CEO and found her home address. Obviously she doesn’t get mail delivered to her house because I got a notice it was not deliverable.

Up here there is probably 3 or 4 times a year when we get enough snow that I can’t get in or out with my 2 WD… I will not spend $1000 extra for FWD and get less gas mileage. I think a FRNT Wh DRV has the weight over the drive wheels and would get me through the little bit of snow that we get on those occasions. In the "70’s they built GM Motor homes that had FRNT Wh Dr and some are still running. They used the front wheel drive out of the Oldsmobile Torinado.TomC

3 Likes

Yeah, fwd is good as long as you’re not pulling a trailer or hauling a SE Asia load on the bed. I think the old Saab 2-stroke was the first car using FWD. I owned a few Saab 99 and 900. Their engines had integrated gear boxes, one big heavy lump of metal in the very front. They went like tanks through the snow. I loved those cars. Quiet and smooth for their time.

3 Likes

Saab was great I drove one if the 99 alot it was a friends. The only thing about them was if you couldn’t find a Saab dealer trailered mechanic just save the headache and take it straight to the scrap heap. It seems there was just some little trick about everything on them and of you didn’t know they would never run right again. I saw alot of them go in for what should be a simple fix to a shop that could fix chevy dodge or ford easy and roll out broke only to be sold 6 months later.