JO´s 8" gasifier

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a business a while back -

“We do 3 kinds of work”
“Good, Cheap, Quick, you can pick any two”
“Good and quick- won’t be cheap”
“Good and cheap - won’t be quick”
“Cheap and quick - won’t be good”

19 Likes

The new pine slab fuel sure generates a lot of tar. Seems I’ll be able to collect a pint a week from now on.

6 Likes

Yesterday running errands in town the police showed up in the lane next to me — big smiles and thumbs up :smile:
One of the smiles belonged to a blond Norse goddess :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

Hope souther police is as friendly as the north, althugh l am quite sure we ran out of blonde norse godesses a while ago :wink:
It seems you rabbit atracts them… l mean the registration inspector :smile:

9 Likes

An olive-skinned black haired Adriatic she-beauty does quite nicely too. Hmm. Though she was much more apt to whip out the ticket-book.
Glad those limits pushing days are over for me now.
Happy to let you “younger” still working guys fill their daily/weekly revenue-generating goals now.
Ha! I now stand quietly in the back ground. Trying to help an adult nephew sort out his Ford turbo-diesel that keeps failing the tailpipe opaque-ousity tests. His performance chip upgrade is kicking his emissions ass.

Those who play (poke-the bear) at some point may have to (swipe chomp) pay.
J-I-C Steve unruh

3 Likes

A full year of every day DOW is getting close. 7k miles and a sudden power boost yesterday made me want to check the state of the firetube. I wouldn’t like to see a burned out wall and a super nozzle.
I’ve got thin ss plates as protective shields and they seem to be in good shape. I can’t see no wear and tear what so ever in the hot zone.

Also I took the oppertunity to punch a few holes in the tary crust under the funnel fingers to get the hopper circulation going.

8 Likes

The camera mekes the hearth look 30" not 8" :smile:

I see those hard crusts everywhere in the gasifier. Wonder what they are. My guess is its a cheramic made from iron carbides/oxides and ash fused together by extreme heat.

Ok. No supernozzle. Whats next?

2 Likes

You´re the chemist. I´m fine with just a “protective crust” :smile:

Well, I shouldn´t be trouble shooting when things are running at its best. I think I´ll settle with the combination theory of high quality pine slab scrap and that I reasetly cut open my air inlet pipe some.

4 Likes

Could you explain ? What is the size difference between the air inlet and gas outlet? What circumstances led you to cut open the inlet air?

A couple of days ago I undressed my cyclone because I had to fix my air valve that had started to turn on its threads when operated from the cab. My air inlet is only a 1 1/4" pipe. On top of the pipe inlet a sharp 90 degree turn is welded on for the shroud to rest on. Just by accident I happened to look into the inlet and I started wondering if that csa is actually smaller than total nozzle csa. So while i was at it I just cut a slice off with the grinder so it would equal the pipe csa.
Oh, my gas outlet is rectangular from gasifier housing to cyclone and about 3 times the air pipe csa.

3 Likes

I must be getting old - I can not remember what csa stands for.:confounded:
I wonder what the rule of thumb is - of the total measurement of gas out is 30 - 40 percent air in?

1 Like

Hello Don. How about “Cross Sectional Area”?

3 Likes

Csa is total summ of nozzle cross section. I think its 60% air vs gas

2 Likes

I´m late but everyone is right - all the way from Texas to Slovenia. Cross Sectional Area it is.
All I know is I read somewhere, at some point a long time ago, that the volume of the outgoing gas is about 3 times the incoming air.

Maybe that explanes why when wk units block the incoming air nothing changes till allmost choked off, or i am in left feild.:disappointed:!

Hmm 3 times the income air volume? It seems far too much. Afterall, woodgas is 50% nitrogen, and air is 80% nitrogen. Culd be wrong. Need to calculate this one :smile:

1 Like

Don´t know but i guess partially blocked you wouldn´t notice until pulling really hard on the gasifier.

Please do! It would be interesting to know the truth.

Hope mine works out, it has lots of air droping down on my scrap ss flap screen.I got too make some more change before working on my latest fuel miser gasifier project.

1 Like

A rough quick WAC (wild ass chemistry) calculation based on nitrogen content of air and gas (the only constant parsmeter in both):

(6N2 + 1.5O2) → (5N2 + 2H2 + 3CO)
this is a SORT OF equalized reaction so:

7.5 moles at air end (left) and 10moles at gas end (right).

Moles equal volume at same temp. so 75 liters of air produce 100 l of gas. Not puting moisture, CO2, higher gas temperature, and other parimeters in to count.

My highschool profesors wuld bang their head at the wall if they saw this calculation :smile:

2 Likes