JO´s 8" gasifier

How did you do this? Do you have a lathe? Enlighten me purty purty please.

Redneck slang warning

2 Likes

Nice job! That couldn’t have been easy.

That stainless (probably made at Outokumpu :slight_smile: ) should be a permanent fix - at least until you move up to an F350 :grin:!

No, I haven´t. Only marker pen, grinder and a file with a wodden handle :smile:

I sure hope so.
In a few years time the only things left of the Rabbit will be the hopper and the throttle plates :smile:

11 Likes

Did the old screws screw out or did you need to drill them out?

Culd you clean up the old plates and show us how they look like up close? Are there any cracks seen?

Good fix!

3 Likes

3 of the screws let go after some furious, gentle tapping on the screwdriver :smile: One I had to drill out.
I can see cracks with a magnifing glass. But the wear is obvious.

7 Likes

What kind of wood did you use for your file handle— kidding!! (from another thread ) Did you put Lock-Tite on the screws. In racing those screws will vibrate out and tear the head of a piston up. If you use Lock-Tite and later want to remove the screws, you have to heat them up some. TomC

2 Likes

WOW l dis not expect this! Its a engine killing timebomb! It looks so eroded!

Thank you!

3 Likes

Yup. If you look closely there’s some blue shiny stuff on the screws. That’s Lock-Tite.
The file handle is mointain ash of course :smile:

6 Likes

Most throttle plates I’ve seen have had “staked” screws holding them to the shaft. That is, the exit side of the screw was “squished” to deform the threads preventing them from turning back out.

1 Like

That is pretty incredible! Is anyone else getting corrosion like this?

I’m surprised the old VW ate that big chunk of brass with just a burp.

Well, hopefully it did…

2 Likes

To judge from the sound that chunk was most likely stuck between valve and seat for a while before I relised what had happened. I cranked a couple of times thinking it was only intake soot lighting. The sudden 5000 rpm finally made the rabbit spit the chunk out :smile:

4 Likes

Kristjan the chemist,
so what does the galvanic table say about the current ss/alu combo?

1 Like

Well the ss part preety much seals the case :slight_smile:

Funny, the galvanic erosion table says brass is worst of all :smile: bad luck l guess…

3 Likes

Its impossible to keep a full time gasifier down and not running. They just rebuild it, and keep on trucking on wood. Great job on the throttle plates, you are good to go. Back on the road again with more of JO’s gasifier truck videos. You in the Top 10 of full time gasifier’s in my book. SWEM.
Bob

10 Likes

A late firewood order. Dead standing spruce is what I can offer this time of year. The Rabbit Forwarder in use :grin:

15 Likes

Always amazes me the loads you haul with the Rabbit!

Bryan

9 Likes

It´s been a while since I posted a Rabbit DOW, mostly because there´s not much to report other than daily driving. Went for a short DOW down to the river this evening.

9 Likes

Thank you JO. The seasonal change is amazing , but the wonderful drive in your rabbit is still amazing too. I’m glad it is running good again down the road, and all the work you had to do on it was durning the warmer summer, and fall months. Winter here we come DOW.
Bob

3 Likes

Again thanks for the ride. Always enjoy your scenery. Is that your new dog or your old buddy? Your trees appear just a little ahead of us but we are having a pretty fall this year Some years everything seems to change and fall off but this year the turn is happening over a period of time.
I heard another paper mill is closing in Green Bay. Sad!!! 600 jobs lost again. TomC

3 Likes

That’s my old buddy. 9 years in November.

Yes, printing paper is dieing. That’s sad - the whole mill gone.
We just got notice of our cutdown. Ended up with 122 people losing their jobs. I was not one of them but I really don’t know what to think about that. We can barely manage with the staff we have and I don’t wan’t think about what it will be like in a month when those 122 are gone.

3 Likes