JO´s 8" gasifier

Thank you Jim for your kind words.

The photo is taken in an angle. Outlets are actually above half. On top would of course been even better but it was a trade off. I wanted no sharp bends and the ability to push a water hose from the back cap and all the way into the tank. Also I wanted the cooler to start as low as possible. I had two 3m thin wall shiny 32mm ss pipes (used to be for my antennas before we got fiber) and wanted to make the most out of them. 8 X 0.75m = 6m. Starting higher would have made the cooler to tall. The drain valve handle is easily reached above bed behind the cab. I can drain with no effort every time I get out if needed.

3 Likes

Yea I also have to remember your wood consumption will also probably be only 25% that of mine. That also means only 25% of the water. Very nice build.

2 Likes

Looking good JO I don’t know if you said but I need refreshing— how are you welding stainless, tig, or stick weld. The welds look so good. You put a valve on top of the condensate tank to get in with a wire. My experience with condensate is; it is not a dust that can be “rattled” out. It is a water on top of the soot that settles out and makes a heavy “goo”. I think you will find the best way to “clean” the tank is with a garden hose. Of course you will drain a lot of water out, but even for water to drain, I have to stick my finger up and dislodge the “goo” that bridges the drain hole. I believe Mr. Wayne has two drain plugs. One opening is even with the bottom of the tank, and the other has a stand pipe to get above the “goo” when wanting to just drain water. Thanks for keeping us posted. What is the vertical pipe in the center of you condensate tank? TomC

Stick is all I’ve ever owned. I’m sorry but the welds are NOT good enough for a close-up. This is my first build ever I have to weld water tight. Time will tell how much will be smeared in red silicone :smile:

Exactly. I will be pushing a small rod down the top valve down through the bottom one. I won’t have to crawl on the ground in my Sunday shirt :smile:[quote=“TomC, post:143, topic:1928”]
What is the vertical pipe in the center of you condensate tank?
[/quote]
Gas inlet from cyclone

4 Likes

Question anyone:
I’m about to order vacum guages. What kind of vacum will I be looking at?
Imbert with cyclone, 1.8L 4 cyl.
I can choose from -40, -60, - 100 or -160 mbar (-16, -24, -40 or -64" H2O).
Thanks!

1 Like

Hello JO .

If it was me I would go with the -40 H2O

2 Likes

-40 in H2O it is. Thank you.

2 Likes

Slowly getting closer.

17 Likes

Yes sir ,you are getting close . Nice looking rig, Bigger is not always better.

3 Likes

Alright!!! It is really looking like you are getting there. As always I’m sure there is a lot to do, but it looks like a DOW truck.TomC

2 Likes

Looks good JO…

2 Likes

Getting close to lemon sucking time!

2 Likes

A very neat looking job, nice!

2 Likes

Looks real good JO ,I have a VW like that only diesel…
Calvin…

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to think about all the things I should have done differently and planing for the next project.

3 Likes

That rethinking, is part of the process when you are designing your own gasifier. With the DOW book a lot of that has already been done by Mr. Wayne. It is just amazing how many major redesigns I have done over the years. The important thing is to get one build complete and working. Then some of your new ideas can be incorporated during the winter when you may not be driving it so much. You are doing a great job. Keep it up and us posted. TomC

4 Likes

What a great project JO. You are making history!! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Cant wait to see it run!

2 Likes

RUUUNIN ON WOOOD. YEAH!!!
Bring me all the lomons you can find.

I can´t belive it. The little rabbit runs better on woodgas than gasoline. Much smother. Low steady idle. It doesn´t miss a beat. It´s not even fussy if air is almost open or almost closed.
It stumbeled only once - it sat for 20 min when I parked at our daughters, started right up on woodgas with the settings I left it with, but after 100 m it seemed to have consumed the old gas and getting the new weaker gas for a little while. I squeezed the air just a little and was back in business. Ha!

At 85 (50) the into rails temp is a steady 175C going down to 120C when lurking around on high idle. I haven´t pushed it yet - dump is totaly empty and I´m still burning paint and grease. There are still things to fix. I haven´t hooked up my vacuum guages yet and the filter barrel is actually still empty. I opened it up whe I got home - nothing but clear condensation. Pulled a pipe under the hood and it was clean as new. Getting this close i totally lost my patience.

I´ll say it again - I CAN´T BELIVE IT. After a 2 min lightup I pulled for maybe 20 sec on gasoline on high idle until it started to stumble rich, killed the fuelpump, squeezed the air a bit and I just took off. Nothing to it - amazing.

After maybe half an hour I went back home, forced my wife into the passenger seat and took her for ride. She didn´t understand my exitment. Told me it was like any other ride. So thats what she filmed.
My mind was somewhere else. I didn´t remember to give her intructions of what to film, but here it is:

19 Likes

Hello JO .

Thanks for the video !

Be sure to have a lemon handy . The smile can get stuck on your face and can be hard to remove :relaxed:

2 Likes