John Deere M

Haha! Woodgas is so awesome!

Great job Arvid !!

" They said they’d try starting it tonight when they got home and let me know how it goes for them. I don’t see them having any problems. "

Please don’t judge your gasifier design or workmanship on it’s future performance if the operator is new to gasification . It is possible you may get some negative reports on the machine but the cause will likely be operator error and noting to do with the machine .

BBB
Wayne

Yep.
Most fellows in-shop can get real good at MIG writing in permanence.
Ha! Not me. I’ve used whack, whack one by one numbers/letters stamping ID’ing, and even “Instructions” detailing in the past on all of my custom Stevebuilt alternators and starters. NO sticky, sticky label to fade, fall off, or be painted over. NO metal plate to be knocked off, discarded. With it then re-branded by someone else.
I think that I’ve lost that younger patience and make do well now with a sharpened plug-in vibratory etcher.
Works real good on sheet metal and plastics too.
S.U.

Hey Wayne,

We kinda already had that talk. When we talked on the phone to arrange when to come and get it, he asked if I needed another week… I don’t need another week to learn how to use it… they need it to learn how to use it… They have a check list, now (Dan Cox inspired), and they know how to get a hold of me… also told them to expect it not to run well when they want to show it off… as that is typical of woodgas for me at any rate.

Doug runs steam engines, so he’s not a newcomer to knowing that you have to let the machine teach you what it needs to work. His son is a pretty quick study too… I told him to play with the mixing valve as he drove. Didn’t take him long to figure out you really don’t need to play that much with it once it’s up to heat.

That’s a good idea Steve… didn’t even think of an engraver… i probably could have done something like that with my dremel even.

The cold start video just made my day! Awesome build there!
One question is the fresh air in woodgas mode filtered?

Yep. inline filter in the air mixer valve mount just after the mixer valve

E- mail from my tractor customer

Hi Arvid

Arrived home save & sound.

We had enough time in the day to run the tractor for about one hour with my dad & Ryans friend.

All worked very well & both were very impressed!

Many Thanks again

Gotta say that put a smile on my face today…

1 Like

Great news !
It’s sure nice when things go as planned.

Got off the phone with my customer… he’s had some problems getting it to run… after a bit of a cleaning, and some coaching over the phone he’s up and running again.

Funny (well not really so funny) how a small air leak near the wood gas carb can throw a big wrench into how things work.

it’s all figured out now and he’s back up to driving on wood again with it. It sure would be a bunch easier is I lived closer, I guess the phone will have to do.

From our friend Ryan, the son of the fellow that we did this build for…

“I drove the tractor 3 kilometers up the road to our local fair yesterday and have had it running tons since then, it will be there all weekend on display, it’s been running great and it’s been a big hit!!!”

good to hear in my books.

1 Like

That’s a feel good email to receive.
How do they process their chips?

my understanding is they are picking up chips from a local place that has them as waste.