John Deere M

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Bill, while I have at times used basic gauges in testing I don’t typically put them on my builds. I have found it doesn’t take that long running a small gasser up close and personal to figure out what it’s doing.

I’ve had a couple of friends come out and play on the tractor and by the time they leave they are pretty much familiar with it’s operation… and then I’m as close as the phone if something unfamiliar arises.

Oh it does seem to work under load pretty good. Yesterday my buddy G managed to lug the engine down to the point he stalled it out in the sand (too high of gear) he did get is started on his own, and brought it back up to the shop… he couldn’t understand why it was acting like a dog and not pulling as hard as he thought it should… he hadn’t realized he had engaged the parking brake and drove it that way… so it will pull… lol… didn’t break the tractor so it’s all good.

We did actually have an issue yesterday. I hadn’t been shaking the fines out of our feed stock and it did plug up the bottom end of the system… I’m talking dust, everything from the size of an 1/8 of a toothpick… really small stuff went into the machine… it did ok as it took 5 hrs running like that to make it too congested to start.

We did a back burn, pushed it all the way from the carb vacuum port… green tinged smoke was rollin out of it… being me i had to mentioned Chris flaring this hopper gas… and of course we had to try too… My truck driving friend Darren was here at the time… he did get it on video so i’ll try to get it from him… the flame wasn’t as big as Chris’s but it still was pretty exciting.

We did get the tractor running as normal. worked like it should have for the rest of the load of fuel… we live we learn.

flaring from the hopper during a back burn

I did a clean out on the tractor today. It’s had about 100lbs of woodchips today and I figured it was time to check out and see how things are looking
Yup, all appeared as normal, other than a few nail’s i sucked out of the grate area with a big shop vac…

prior to initial starting we put some wood stove ash in it to insulate some of the areas that I was a little suspect of… Not that I should have been… just being my careful self.

The boss had been burning some pallets, and Richard missed some of the nails… I was thinking my grate was acting more restrictive than usual… Hmmm maybe that was the problem?

Hi All, who read and follow ArvidO to learn.
Something important, not so obvious here to learn from his last two posts.
Now WHY would He, ChrisKY, and even WanyneK that he refers to, bother with reverse-forced, open-top, burning-out for fines building-up restrictions?
Why not just dump it all out. Sift-sort the dump-out; and purpose reload?
Ha! Ha! Well Experienced Learning!
I’ve had the dubious “pleasure” having to learn to hearth beds hand load thousands of times now on many different systems types. I got better. I am now better at this than anyone else who I’ve shaken hands with. Need to face to face meet more here; and shake more hands.
No way - no how, can you match the characteristics of a Worked Settled-in hearth good combo char/ash bed.
Ash will remain where it needs to be, to insulate and protect.
Char particle sizing will evolve down to be at the sizing the best for zone transitions graduations needs.

Nothing new here.

Bulk fueled combustion operations like woodstoves, furnaces, steam stationary and motive power rail and ships they designed/evolved for continuous operations with internal catches, slopeing and grating needs.
ONLY as ArvidO. has now done, did they down to bare metals/refectories, “to the bone”, clean out for inspections and repairs.
Knowing well that the “burn-in”, “stettling-in” run-times would then have to be repeated before stable performances.

Many other things in Life too need in-service “conditioning”. Cast iron cookwear. High powered rifle bores needing then conditions settling-in “fouling shots” after cleaning if you ever hope for that cold barrel first most important hunting shot hit at point of aim, with maybe follow on shots to have hits consistency.
Rubber tires - have to wear off the slippery mold release and get the set, set-in. Work clothing and all work/running/sports footwear. Baseball mitts. All gloves. Bowling balls and shoes. Wearing hats. Baking tinware. BBQ grills. All need “fouling”, wearing/settling-in “fits/works good now” stabilization. Then change the conditions as little as possible.
Think not? Just go soap washing your Life’s significant other’s stuff back to “like-new, shiny, nice smelling clean”!! My wools anythings NEVER, ever, fit right again! Her pans then sticking to ba’jesus.

Many things in Life: spotless, cleanness, and just-like NEW again, mucks up real-in-this-world, working, useable, results. As-worked, ran-in gasifers always visibly shows you important things. I wearied so much at re-shiney, buffed SS clean-ups!! Re-over-painting, too-soon slicking continually, pretty-up for the photos will blind you to screaming-out glaring gasifier needs too.

Real Life aint’ a one-off walk down any fashion runway; or 1/4 mile, roundy-rounder Ooo-Rah afternoon rips. Or even weekend desert, snowmobiling and lakes blasting around’s. These last three do get real, Real grounded back to earth again once that newest, wowser, engine “ass-sis-ts” konks and ass kicks kick you. And after the head scratching and just can’t fix-it with what you have-on-hand’s reality settles in. And you are then shanks-mare trudging and engine cover paddleing back to the easy, hi-tech cakeslands.
Older, slower, been worked proven reliable gets you to real needs Goals with a lot less bleeding blisters than wowser prettified, new’ed up.

Regards
Steve Unruh

pto and belt drive on back of JD

Hey Steve,

Thanks for that post. I really didn’t want to clean it out as much as I did, but something just didn’t feel right. Seems to be working better now. I’ve got about another 40lbs of wood through now… I’d be running it all day but it starting to rain. Hopefully, it clears up this afternoon and we’ll be back at it.

My younger brother and our friend Tim dropped by the shop and took the tractor for a burn… I really should have recorded the start up from cold as it was the best one yet… well, once I remembered to open the main woodgas carb valve… we live we learn.

That’s why I made my checklist I sent you. So easy to forget or miss something. Sounds like you guys are having fun. Dan

I do plan on making a specific check list for our customer… i think it will help greatly.

Here is a video of starting the tractor this morning. I would have posted one sooner but, i have to admit I kept screwing up… and was rushing it… not the tractors fault, not the gasifiers fault… my fault… we live we learn.

I keep hearing “i’m in a hurry to get things done” in my head… gotta stop that.

my new favorite song. I see you like to start up using the vacume rather than gasoline too. I also found it easier and faster. looks like a job well done.

Congrats on your tractor build Arvid. I really liked that start up video. Took less time than harnessing up a team of horses.

verry nice build. i wish i would have not sold my Oliver 77 gas tractor last year !! at the time i was not using it because my diesel 77 used half the fuel.
little did i know i could be using wood fuel

Nothin wrong with that!
TerryL

yup… I like it… Customer picks it up in he am… Hope he likes it as much as my boy does.

Customers son’s first ride on wood

Happy Customers. They said they’d try starting it tonight when they got home and let me know how it goes for them. I don’t see them having any problems.

When they brought it up here is sounded like there were no intentions of cleaning up the JD… since the build… with it looking the way it does, that may change. I’m sure i’ll get pics when and if that takes place.

Good Job!
An “ArvidBuilt” sent out into the World.
You DID sign this one, now didn’t you ArvidO?

I overlooked, ignored woodgas way back when as too old fashion. I wanted to be new, bright shiny “modern”, electric traction power.
Been working double-time the last 5 years or so trying to make sure other do not make my same mistakes.
That DIY Woodgas energy possibilities is not ever overlooked and ignored again.
Ha! I was wrong about twisted-plate house roofs too. Everything has to hand cut fitted. Don’t snow shed. Snow trapping. Snow melting leakers. Pretty IS, as pretty Does. Form MUST always be made to bow to function.

Best Regards
Steve unruh

What a good feeling that had to have been seeing the customer that happy.
I think Steve is right, Your name stamped on the unit with a number would be a good idea. Then in 100 years when someone is scratching their head looking at it, they can go into the ArvidO archives and put the puzzle piece together.
Great job!

You see, I knew I was forgetting something… it’s all good, I’ll be down that way sometime to play paintball or something and have an invitation to call in on them… could always sign it then… which I’ll make a point of doing.

I also told them i’d keep them apprised of any developments that I think they could benefit from.

I guess I now need to think up some cool stuff… lol… i really should work on an automated mixer…