JO's -91 Mazda B2600

If it’s any consolation Jo, here it’s been minus 19 to minus 17 at night, getting warmer now, but I don’t think it’s quite over yet. The geese and crows are back, and now some songbirds have arrived, but especially the songbirds will have trouble. And the poor honeybees, waiting to take their first cleansing flights…

A year ago it was well into spring, this year I still have to wait for snow to melt to find some logs. Spring is going to be a rapid event. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Garry! I feel better now :smile:

2 Likes

The ball joint really needed to be changed out. It looks like it’s been through rough times. The bolt is actually bent 30 degrees.
Funny how the Mazda engineers made them sit upside down. I had to pull the driveshaft outof the hub to get the ball joint out.

Also I had the upper rocker arm already in my work bench vise when discovering the new bushings were the wrong type.
Auto repair is the last profession I would choose.

5 Likes

Hey! Auto repair ain’t so bad . . . .
as long as you are NOT in rustbelt/salty-water, coastal areas . . . .
as long as you have the space/work to stack up doing 3-4-5 different vehicles at a time for these “delays”: parts; customer approvals; customers arranging financing . . . .
AND as long as those rotating in and out overlapping jobs have at least some rain cover, and a bit-o’ heat in the freezing times.
Then the bugger-do is keeping up with all of the torn apart 2-3 days ago, 2-3 different completely vehicles go-back-and-multi-layered assembly details. It was no longer able to memory juggle all of the details anymore that convinced me to early retire from that. Wasn’t the electronics and computers.
Later then bored - - - to wood-for-power learn, and promote. Much, much easier.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Yup, “as long as” is the key word. I could add a few more like having the right tools and a healthy back.

Personally I rather deal with a huge wood pile. That’s what sets my feel good chemicals free and when the sweat doesn’t bother me at all.
Sunny Alabama wood piles is what caught my attention in the first place when discovering DOW. I really shouldn’t mention how many hours I put down in the “Wood supply” topic during dark winter months. I could probably draw Wayne’s chunker in detail from memory :smile: Talk about addiction :smile:

7 Likes

OK, here we go.

Short version on local morning news

https://www.svtplay.se/video/17694755/lokala-nyheter-dalarna/svt-nyheter-dalarna-16-apr-09-05?start=auto&tab=2018
Short version, national web news

Long version on local evening news
(Starts with 8.50 min left)

https://www.svtplay.se/video/17702763/lokala-nyheter-dalarna/svt-nyheter-dalarna-16-apr-18-30?start=auto

15 Likes

Thanks JO .

Great job and we all are very proud of you :grinning:

Enjoyed very much !

3 Likes

Excellent! You look great on camera, weil edited, very favorable to your work. I enjoyed the historical film as well. :grin: Thanks, J-O for sharing!

2 Likes

This made my day :smile: thanks for shareing.

Google translate says you are “just a humble gambler” :smile:

Great job, you culd perform profesionaly :wink:

3 Likes

Nice job Jo well hosted,That classic datson pickup is well utilized. And proffesionally shown and explained.If i could design and build as good you i would get rich selling allturnitive fuel’ed vehicles.

1 Like

Thanks guys!
It’s been a roller coaster for two days now. This amount of attention is probably not good for your health. Friends, neighbours, work mates, relatives, newspapers, a farmer magazine. You name it. And all at once. But most importantly - 100% positive response (so far).
Today the news clip was rated no1 most seen in 24 hours. Who said woodgas was a marginal subject to most people? :smile:
Oh, and Stig-Erik Werner contacted me yesterday. I’ve never talked to him before but I know some of you met him. He’s not been DOWing for a couple of years but he still has his 84 Chev van + 14 other vehicle projects waiting :smile: He says hello.

11 Likes

Hi Jan-Ola,

Hope the rush is calming down a bit :wink:
Just started to discuss the pressure losses in the Toyota-thread.
So your pressure loss over the whole system is max 1 meter water coulmn? How is this splitted up between gasifier and filter/cooler?

Thanks,
Til

Haha, media rush is over I hope :smile:
Into a late spring firewood prepping rush now.

No, I’m usually pulling maximum 1m of water at the cyclone outlet at 3000 rpm full throttle. How the pressure drop is distributed downstream I have no idea, but I don’t expect the wide barrel hayfilter to have much.

3 Likes

A different way of screening char.
Actually this is my own fault. The cyclone bottom outlet is only a 1 inch pipe going through the bed down to the collecting bucket. Since I let everything (no cleaning port on the gasifier) blow into the cyclone, the pipe get plugged from time to time, leaving only the rear tank for setteling area filtering. So far (about a thousand miles) I’ve been collecting about as much from the tank as from the cyclone.
When time allows I’ll weld on a 2 inch bottom pipe on the cyclone. Ar least I now know filling up the cyclone doesn’t do no harm :smile:

4 Likes

Maintenace is so much easier this time a year. Doing my annual hay change down by the river in only my underpants :smile: Washing the barrel was colder than I like to my legs since the river is still high from mountain melting water. No swimming today :smile:
The Mazda inherited barrel and hay from the Rabbit but there’s still nothing wrong with the hay after a full year in use.

Grandkids visited to inspect when I got back home.

11 Likes

Went to the nearest gas station, 5 miles, on dino today. Brought a few cans for lawnmower, chainsaw and such. Also I filled up the emergency tank on the Mazda. In total 92 liters or 24 gallons.
A chock as usual to watch the total: 1,482 SEK or $169:40 :frowning_face:
Luckily it’s a once a year event :smile:

Below is a pic from tonight’s lighting the intake event:

9 Likes

Went for a 110 mile roundtrip to visit our youngest dog’s breeder today.
Each way, 55 miles, was exactly one full hopper of pure birch. 1.5 mpp in 50-55 speeds with occational syphoning hybriding climbing long hills.
Ha, after watching Koen’s ride with Wayne I should hide and lick my wounds but I already uploaded the video so what the heck…

10 Likes

I think l have Koen Van Looken sindrome. I am unable to stop hiting the like buttom :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the ride JO . I always enjoy them !!

1 Like

Another great ride with you in your beautiful country. Thank you JO
Bob

1 Like