JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Look what followed me home. Someone claimed this was a worn out expression the other day. To me it isn’t :smile:
Consider this a full winter projekt. I’m not as fast as Wayne or Kristijan :smile:
These pickups are usually rust buckets around here. The few that are still left. This one has a very solid frame and is not rusted through anywhere as far as I can see. Only a few minor paint bubbles.
There is one error. When starting cold it has to be left in idle until out of enrichment mode, or it will stall. When running ok it still smells. My guess is a faulty MAF sensor. I think it’s running way too rich. It doesn’t have a lambda.
We’ll see. Either way, I payed only $1000, so it’s worth a try.

18 Likes

Hey J.O.
The high stance mean this is power to the front wheels also?
Is the 2600cc engine the internal oil-wet chain driven counter balance shafts unit? Or the later, the later external cogged belt driven type?
tree-farmer Steve unruh

Edit: Opps, sorry. I was thinking Mitsubishi engine!

1 Like

Congratulations on a new project. What exactly did you have in your back pocket that cause this to follow you home. None of the others have confessed up to what they had. I have to say-- you don’t mind taking on the odd project. No one has gasified a VW until you, and now you are taking on the Mazda. I have been afraid to even look a a Mazda because of the reputation they had with that rotary engine. I am looking forward to pictures as you start this build. You will be done before I get mine back together at the rate I’m going. I have given up on making many of the changes I had planned am just trying to fix what was broken== but that alone is going slow. TomC

1 Like

Yes, this is a 5-speed stick shift with a second stick for optional 4WD + 4WD low gear with diff look. A bit heavy, I know, but the front profile is rather slim so I expect to do ok on level ground. It ways 1700 kg and legal loading capacity is 1180 kg. In total 2880 kg (6,250 pounds).
You’re not to far off about the engine. The earlier models had the carbed Mitsubishi engine, but this is Mazda’s own mpfi, 3 valve, long stroke, slow turning, work horse. Wet chain, yes. MAF and CAT but no lambda. Turnable dist with Hall sensor.
Up until 92 heavy pickups have no emission requirements here. This means I will probably be able to legally register this one into the “gengas vehicle” category. This is not confirmed 100% yet, but I just couldn’t let it go. If not, I’ll stick to stealth mode.

7 Likes

A couple of dry birch chunks. Don’t tell anyone :smile:
Odd! Well, your Chevs and Dodges are the odd birds here. V8s from early 90s are one in 10,000 vehicles. We have quite a lot of V6 S10s but unfortunately they rust through faster than cans of beans at sea.
So we both have a spring deadline then :smile:

5 Likes

Tom, I think it was the $1000.00 that did it. :blush:

Nice truck and place you have there Jo.

Edit: this spell checker bites me constantly.

5 Likes

I agree Jeff on a nice place he has there. I had never seen the inside of the garage== could be used for my living room – what elso would I expect from JO> TomC

4 Likes

Haha! Nice. Looks like DOW has jet a nother iron in the forge!

Ha, noone of you guys comented the strange paper bags in JOs garage :wink:

1 Like

I was confused because his garage was so tidy.

3 Likes

Thanks guys! The truth is I sweeped all the junk to one side to be able to get the truck in :smile:
Steve, I get the feeling you where about to say something about the type of engine.

2 Likes

That is an interesting garage door. Are those bi-folding? That utilizes the whole ceiling height vs an overhead door. Can you open just one section for a man door?

3 Likes

Hi Don,

Bi-folding sounds right. They open two sections each way. I have a separate man door on the long side.
I managed to get them from an abandoned fire departement 12 years ago. Hight is 11 foot.
I built the whole garage to fit the doors :smile: Raised A-beams on the trusses for example.

12 Likes

I could use a set of those doors for one of my barns… I love it.

3 Likes

I woke up this morning anxious to get on the puter to see if JO had posted and progress!!! hehe!! I’ll settle for the pictures of your shop. As with everything you do it is Grrrrate!! I don’t know why but when you were grooming the rabbit, I thought you were working out side. I saw a Mazda truck for sale on the net last night like yours with a 4L engine— $1500 yankee dollars. So I would say did a good job of coaxing the Mazda to follow you home for $1000. Are your plans to take the gasifier out of the rabbit and put it in the Mazda. ( having a hard time spelling Mazda because I don’t use the “Z” key very often. Could you get a name like you did for the “rabbit” for this one?? Guess I’ll go read some other threads and wait 'till tomorrow for and progress report. — Thanks for the pictures today. They are great. TomC

4 Likes

Tom, I do all my welding and grinding outside. I don’t want to risk burning the building down. I have saw, planer and stuff inside and there is just too much that can catch fire.

There will be a while before I will have time for the Mazda. There is so much else I have to do before snow. Today was Sunday and I know many of you across the pond don’t work on Sundays. But he didn’t mention workout, did he? This was my Sunday workout.

Edit: …and that’s birch

5 Likes

Well being a farmer I never got to take Sunday off. I spent the day mowing hay hoping I get it in before the storms make it all the way up here next week. By the looks of what is going on down south I think this will be my last chance to get any hay I can feed this winter so what i get will determine how many head of galloway I can add.

1 Like

Dan, I don’t envy you that stressfull hay business. This firewood is for next winter or winters to come, so there’s no real hurry. But I still like to have it done before snow.
When the spring comes I’m too fat to run around in the woods. I can stay in the back yard splitting :smile:

3 Likes

Now I see why my Icelandic friend called poplar birch!

2 Likes

Jo, nice prehauler (moderns call them forwarder) you have there. I don’t see any thing on the trailer to parbuckle the logs on. And I do not see an arch on the back or winch to arch them on. Maybe a separate loader to load your prehauler?

Now I know what heaven looks like ! !

3 Likes

Wow your way ahead of me… my winters wood is mostly still all log length in a pile I have been splitting off of for the last 2 years. That pile was a great deal one of the neighbors wanted to go through my field to cut his bank and get the view back. I told him deal but since I didn’t really know just where the property line was I wanted 24 cords of fire wood off the cut dropped out back by the logger. I think I got treated really well because it also cleaned up the edge of one of my fields which I wanted to cut out. I am sure most of the tree line was on his property. But he was thrilled. The last neighbor who wanted to clear his bank hired a survey group to find the lines turned out someone wrote the deed wrong and he thought he owned a bunch of the field my family has farmed for about 70 years. Needless to say that deed had to be redone so this system worked better for me… The funny part was the deed didn’t match the stone markers and the new one doesn’t either. But he gave me about 20 feet by 150 feet of nice oak stand so I just said ok if you want to go with that point and not this stone here I am ok with it… you have to love old farm lots in New England. I think they followed the cow path to set the property lines.

2 Likes