JO's -91 Mazda B2600

Yes what Garry said. I see a new WK Gasifier build in the future there.
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Garry,
No, it’s a twin. 4wd B2600 1700kg. Same year, same everything. Only white.
It sat in a ditch next to a barn and heavy snow made a roof/wall cave in on top of the cab last winter. The truck is not used in 10 years and all I know is the engine still turns and the handbrake works better than mine :smile: I have no plans for it other than spare parts. It seems these trucks are close to extingt and also new spare parts are getting hard to come by.

After showing up on woodgas, and all the usual show and tell, the owner decided to give me the truck for free :smile: Only I had to change tires on it before I could load it. He wanted to keep the good looking rims for his pickup.
It was pitch black before I could push off into the dark forests and gravel backroads. This haul was far from legal but the first two hours the only light I saw was an oncoming truck hauling timber. It took me 4 hours and 3 refuels to reach home again.

About hauling performance. On flat paved stretches I was actually surpriced I was able to maintain 80 km/h on 100% woodgas. Most of the time much slower speeds of course, and sometimes even 2nd gear WOT on 90% gasoline climbing steep hills.
However adding char to the wood makes wonders to the outgoing woodgas temp and richness of the gas. Plain wood is ok for 95% of my driving around home but when pushing hard for hours a little char mixed in helps a lot.

9 Likes

Hi JO, you and @mggibb are both using charcoal added mix for a richer gas. How much per hopper load. It looks like you added it in the middle of the hopper and then add wood on top of it? It think that is what Michael does.
Well you have a lot of spare parts now.
Bob

4 Likes

Hi Bob,
I do the opposite. I add wood first and then I put some char on top. I hope for the char to fall down and distribute evenly while driving. My hopper is only just over a foot deep. I add only something like 5% by volume or the charbed will get too stiff.

5 Likes

Thanks JO, I am going to try this and see if I can tell a difference, when you or more than one is doing it and have read about others adding charcoal it gets me thinking about it if I want to drive up a mountain road.
Bob

4 Likes

The pwm I ordered arrived yesterday. I installed it today. Works excellent. Thanks @Carl, for your advice. I wish I had it Wednesday when hauling.

9 Likes

I put one of those cheap, small DC voltmeters on the output for a reference.

8 Likes

Hi Jo

at which place of the electrical wiring did you integrate the PWM?

3 Likes

Fords are easily accessed in the cab at the inertia switch, others at the fuse panel, or at wiring to the pump.

3 Likes

Hi Thierry,
The Mazda fuelpump relay is inside the driver’s side kick panel. I just cut the wire going to the fuelpump from there.

5 Likes

Hi Jo

I think that revolutionize very slowly an electric motor can make it overheat?
is that why Carl offers to add an on / off switch?

if the pump is running slower than normal, will fuel injection be as good?

(finely sprayed gasoline)

Thierry

2 Likes

The’Maz did good there hauling more than it’s own weight for 4 hours!

You should torrefy a couple hopper’s worth of wood chunks and try that out. I bet it would be the ultimate!

3 Likes

How goes the pursuit of straw as fuel Will? (Sorry to highjack the thread momentarily).

3 Likes

Terry, you’re probably right about heat, but the pwm will only be used momentarily. Carl suggested the switch because this pwm doesn’t shut off completely at lowest setting. I already had a switch mounted and kept it of course.
I’m sure the spray is not as fine at low fuel pressure, but it doesn’t seem to bother the engine since the main fuel is always woodgas at low pressure use.

4 Likes

Yes, I bet that would work good.
If I sorted out smaller fuel and baged it separately it would meet the needs of extreemly hard work too. The easiest way at the moment happened to be just to bring some char, which I already had available.

4 Likes

thank you Jo for the clear answer.I want to convert my toyota pickup 1993 to the chargas this winter. I take the maximum of information before the construction of the generator. I hope to be able to achieve hybrid carburation as simply as you.

5 Likes

Hi Gary,

Not too good, other things have taken priority, but plans are still in place👍.

I have also decided I am going to try wood pellets first as I have located multiple sources of sawdust for free, and I am going to try them as is instead of turning them into charcoal.

5 Likes

I went for annual inspection today.
I went there on gasoline as instructed. I was little worried about running rich and CO level. The limit is 4.5%. That’s why I decided to fuel up 1/3 E85 to maybe lower the levels some.
At the gas station I didn’t find the E85 pump??? I saw one that said HVO. I was in a hurry and thought that has to be some new fancy name for ethanol. After fueling up 8L, I drove away on a small detour to let the fuels mix. Suddenly I saw a big cloud of smoke in the rear view mirror. Also the engine was knocking heavily at acceleation. I realised now I must have put in some kind of diesel substitute.
I now had 10 min left to my appointment. I turned to the next gas station, which had a E85 sign. I quickly poured in another 8L E85 and topped off with standard petrol. Still a little bit smoky but better.
At the inpection there was a lot of woodgas talk. Other customers arrived and helped “inspecting” the rig. Everything was ok but emissions was the final test. I didn’t mentioned my story but the inspector smiled when he saw the smoky exhaust. With the probe attached I told him I could give him any CO levels he wanted by adjusting the pwm. Started off at 8%, but after lowering the fuelpump voltage I managed to make things level off around 2%. Phew! Approval :smile:
Oh, and I looked up the HVO. Seems to be some kind of mixed veggie/animal-oil. Well, well.

8 Likes

Everything will be well lubed, for sure. :smile:

Great save on the emissions test!

6 Likes

I am surprised the nozzle actually fit your gas tank.

HVO biodiesel (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) is a form of renewable diesel that has been produced from vegetable fats and oils.

4 Likes