Leitinger wood gasifier

Good morning Kristijan .

Thanks very much for posting the video . You have done a great job.

I enjoyed :grinning:

2 Likes

That was a great ride Kristijan, we have so many different accents here in our country now, you just blend in with the rest of us. That is one nice car ride you have, no would know you have a gasifier behind the car, just fancy luggage carrier. Your build is a A + build. SWEM, BBB, down the road again.
Bob

3 Likes

Thank you for the great video this AM. Never apologize for your second languageā€” you do a great job and over here not many people speak anything other than English. Makes use very limited, even though we have many people coning into this country speak many other languages, we are limited. Good job.
I loved the video Enjoyed seeing the country side even in the rain. The big surprise for me was that you got your gasifier up to temperature while going down hill. On mine when I ā€œcoastā€ the butterfly in the TBI is closed and the engine does not pull on the gasifier, thus, less heat is generated . I know you have that hill there and no choice, but I usually prefer to start out on a flat with mostly wide open throttle to pull air through the gasifier.
Excellent build. I still donā€™t know how you get so much gas production out of such a small system.TomC

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom

Going down hill and using the momentum of the vehicle is the quickest way to start the gasifier . ( mixing air valves closed gasoline weaned back and wide open throttle )

4 Likes

HA! Finally!
IĀ“ve been waiting for this. I thought you converted to stamp collecting or something :wink:
I take it you donĀ“t use a blower at all. Do you even have an outlet for a blower?
Your wood looks bigger than mine. Those shunks are bigger than eggs, arenĀ“t they?
Whenever you get the time I would like to take a closer look at that hot filter, if you donĀ“t mind.
I like this bild a lot and you live in a beutiful place.
And finally, there has to be something wrong with your camera. It doesnĀ“t pick up any noise or rattling inside your car :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up :wink:

Tom, what Wayne sayd. With air valve full closed and WOT downhill, gas can not combust, so no acceleration, gas just gets sucked and expelled from the exhaust.

JO, the only things l collect are miles and ash :wink: still DOW.
No there is no blower. I have a T prepared for the blower, near the air mixer, but it is sealed and it will most like stay that way. I do burn some petrol, but the lightup is fast and inkognito.
I guess it depends on how big eggs you have up north :smile: but based on what l saw on your videos l wuld say it is a bit bigger. A big difference is allso the shape. My wood is mostly angular, the cilindrical fuel is still drying. Most is in a ciggarete box size or smaller.
I wanted to post findings about hot filter today but my internet comunicator dyed and l cant upload pictures by smartphone (no idea why).

Ha l think l know what you mean. I drove your cars cousine, golf 2, for some time. Nice car, had vibrateing masage seats, stering wheal, controll bordā€¦ wellā€¦ everything :grin:

5 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up Mr W. I had in mind that because he was going down hill he had his foot OFF the throttle. Makes since with the butter fly open and pulling on the gasifier.TomC

1 Like

Hi Kristijan ,
I also want to say that I think you have done an fantastic job on your gasifier , its so compact and hidden away .
I wonder what the faces of those nasty car thiefā€™s would be like, if on opening up that box expecting to find valuables to sell ,and finding lovely charred wood chunks :grinning:
On your return trip home going back uphill do you have to duel fuel it at all or can you go back up on 100% wood ? , I live two thirds of the way up a mountain and would have loved to DOW but I am not sure I could get enough power to get me back up to home .
All the best
Dave

3 Likes

nice ride Iā€™m surprised you can just open your hopper and put a torch to it if I donā€™t use my blowers its gets interesting to say the least .

2 Likes

Excellent video :grin: You are taking advantage of all the things around you. I too go down a hill to the main road and find it very handy to use gravity. 2 - 3 hours is what I find for restarting without relight. Sounds like that little Chevy likes DOW.

1 Like

Hi Paul, you got me thinking too what you said about putting the torch to it. So watched the video again. First Kristijan in the video started his engine and open his gas valve and then it started drawing air though the gas valve so he could light the gasifier char with a vacuum drawing on it. Wayne has shown this method to start up your gasifier in the city with out a lot of smoke, just drive away on gas and let the gasifier come up to temperature and then switch it over. I need to practice this a little to get it down, and like Kristijan said it nice that he had a down hill slope road to drive on from his place to bring his gasifier up to temperature. @KristijanL thank for the demo on your start up without using a blower.
Bob

1 Like

Yes Kristijan, I defenally want to see your hot gas filter set up, when you have time and can up load it.
Bob

1 Like

There comes a day when the gasifier is in ass kicking mode, everything is just perfect (one of those was when l took a picture of that 110km/h drive), on those days l have no problems driveing uphill. But must other days l use 25% petrol. I culd climb up the road in first gear but like it more that way.

About those thievesā€¦ l hope there comes a day that one tryes to steal the whole car. Good luck to him finding out the correct setings to eaven start the car :smile:

3 Likes

I never thought of that economy
At shutdown leave everything in DOW settings and no one could start the truck

2 Likes

Wood gasifierā€™s have the best anti thief system going for them in their vehicles, glad that wood gas people work hard and know the value of good workmanship and wouldnā€™t think of stealing someone elseā€™s work, but they might buy it.
Bob

3 Likes

thanks bob I missed that and that explains it.

Ok guys l need some help identifying some engine parts. Instead of takeing pictures l took a short video.

The first part is what apears to be s vacuum diafragm of some kind, althugh it isnt hooked to a timeing advance (or is it?) rather it moves something in the intake manifold. It moves when l step on the throttle.
The other is eaven more mysterious.l thod its a sort of distributor, but there are just 2 holes. One is connected to the intske manifold by a metal pipe and the other is positive pressure, apears sooty, and pulsates as if it wuld be hooked to exhaust somehow. Culd someone plese help light the lightbulb on my head, looks like someone shot it with a slingshot :wink: l am realy lost hereā€¦

second one is for sure exhaust gas recirculation.

It looks as it is the EGR valveā€¦

Thanks guys, that has to be it. Based od what the wiki says about it, its just for emision control. What are yout thods on plugging it? As l understand this just dilutes the already diluted woodgas with nitrogen, a unwanted thing isnt it?