Leitinger wood gasifier

Hi, Kristijan!

And the passage area is (theoretically) about 40% of the free passage area.
So, starting with 60% air of the gas (both cold), then 40% of free passage
and heat expansion ~ 4 times and chemical addition from char and steam…
The velocity between char-bits may be 12-fold the cold & empty velocity…

Talking here about the passage area in the char, not about any
mechanical restrictions. With other words, it applies in the reduction char aswell.

2 Likes

I do not understand what you talked about?
do you mean the connection of the lambda sensor can be supplied with 4.5 volts to deactivate overeating?

1 Like

can you explain what you will do with the lambda sensor?

1 Like

I plan to connect it to a display to show me if air/fuel ratio is to rich or to lean.

2 Likes

Yes, I think I do…Pulsating swinging beats are common in Mother Nature’s inventions.
Is the reduction of CO2 pure heat driven or does the glowing char also work as a catalyst in any way?

1 Like

the probe is disconnected from the computer?(to avoid voltage fluctuations)

1 Like

Rational and logical answer, Kristijan!
I bet the americans are disappointed the explanation wasn’t supernatural :wink:

3 Likes

But supernatural is a lot more fun:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Jan-Ola, God created everything so it is Supernatural, even the Pulsating swinging beats that are common in what we call Mother Nature. No Brag here, Just fact. Lol. Crazy Americans.
Bob

4 Likes

in the future do you use the lambda sensor could serve to regulate the mixing of air and gas?..

1 Like

I think Einstein sayd, “magic is just science we cant understand yet” so you guys are both right :wink:
Thierry,
When l get a wideband lambda l will wire it separatly from the computer.
Those things had been done before. Look at Victorias corner, mr Steaphan makes electronic gas mixers based on lambda sensor. I wuld like to do that allso but havent got enough knowlidge (yet).

I wired a voltmeter on the original lambda today and went for a drive. Koen is right, id does go out of range fast. But, a cuple of thimgs showed up.
First, while runing on wood, at the gas mixer set on ideal ratio by the feel, the lambda showed allmost zero volts. I closed the air valve completely and still 0,05v. This ment a airleak is likely. And after some on the side of the road analisys l found the mixing valve cable was loose, it didnt alow the valve to perform propperly. Fixed it, then the performance was much better! Lambda showed 0.8v on best ratio by feel.
The second observation is eaven more interasting. While the lambda showed lean due to bad air valve, l saw a peak in voltage every time shifted gears, more precisely, when l let go the gas pedal. But! This did not happen when idleing. So l think this can be connected to the lost fuel l have been seeing. My theory goes like this; when l suddenly let go the gas pedal, the engine creates high vacuum in the intake manifold, sucking gasoline from the injectors, wich culd be seen on the lambda. When l drive on long trips, there is little shifting an gas pedal work. I burn allmost no petrol. But at city drive and more hilly terrayn, the petrol consumption is much higher. What do you think?

2 Likes

Hm… If I didn’t know you suspected petrol leaking I would have guessed like this:
When the throttle almost closes there is very little vacuum upstream. There we have a restricting air mixing valve and a wide open woodgas valve. In addition the woodgas side could in a second or two even contribute to an almost positive pressure (depends on how fast you are shifting and what kind of idle setting). I would have guessed this to be the reason to your sudden rich reading. Have you tried going straight petrol doing the same experiment? If what you suspect is true you should get that same rich reading.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan & Jan-Ola!

Repeat mode:

Twin flaps “feel” the same high vacuum when dropped to idle.
They are “immune” to gasifier pushing, and less critical
to gas enrichment caused by “no-air” gasification…

Eliminate one bad property at a time!

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

While in repeat mode:

Keep the gasoline air inlet clean and intact!

Go in with an independent gasmixing system on the left end of the motor’s intake manifold. There is plenty of room.

In the long run independent fuel systems work the best, and one failing does not affect the other.
They can be co-operated stepless aswell.

Woodgas 100% <<<< >>>> 0%, gasoline 0% <<<< >>>> 100% stepless on the fly.

2 Likes

[quote=“gasman, post:314, topic:2677”]
Go in with an independent gasmixing system on the left end of the motor’s intake manifold ------------ Are you talking about that diaphragm thing that Chris an Dutch John used??? TomC
[/quot

1 Like

Hi, Tom!
27. of September 2016

Yes, I am. Double throat, double flaps. Chris built one last summer

and made many videos of the project.

On idle and a bit more, it works well without the pre-balancing membrane.

In the upper end the membrane is mandatory.

The double throat can also be made with 2 coaxial tubes instead of flaps.

It is though dependent of clean gas.

1 Like

Max,
I have no dubt of the twin flap. As soon as l get the chance, l will build one. Right now l want to make sure everything else works perfectly in this short free time l have.

JO, l hope this is the case. When l turn to gasoline the value is all over the place due to computer oscilating petrol flow. I will try to kill the injectors like Tom recomended and we will see what this shows.

5 Likes

Hi. Been off-line for a few days. Sorry my observations on this detract from the current topic’s flow.

J.O it takes BOTH heat energy and hot&bothered char contributed carbons to “reduce” the upper system supplied input CO2’s to 2)CO’s.
Count your end goal carbons and oxygen’s and see with just heat you’d be one carbon short.
Can’t say the hot glowing char is a catalyst. It IS affected (consumed/diminished) by this reaction.
But without the hot&bothered woodchar carbon molecules oxygen pulling it would take a lot more energy input to make the very stable end product CO2 to break down simplifing into available carbons and oxegens…

The pulsation would be first the outgassed converted CO blocking new CO2 exposures to the char surfaces. Heat then NOT absorbed - brighter glow. Produced CO then flow swept away replaced with new CO2 flowing exposed to the hot char carbons. Heat enrgy then absorbed/tied up chemically - duller glow. Cycle repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
As related to your fines all nearly instantly going to CO I think this may “flood” the space volume killing new reduction reactions until the CO is cleared out, swept away. Maybe . . . .
S.U.

3 Likes

Sorry about that. Sometimes I type first and then I do the thinking. I was hoping my posting was forgotten about :innocent:
About the catalyst talk it’s been mentioned earlier most part of the fuel has to be charcoal and not other carbon fuels. I guess I was hoping for some other magic. I realise now the only reason is to create the necessary space for gasses to pass through.

3 Likes

Ok guys, exuce me for choseing a rainy day and most of all excuse me for my bad accent (l laughed to it my self :smile:) but here is s short video of todays drive to work

10 Likes