Leitinger wood gasifier

Thank you! Plus 20 characters

Ok l did some homework on o2 sensors. But do l replace the original one with the widebrand or do l have to make a seccond fitting on the exhaust manifold?

You would be best to add the wide band sensor in addition to the factory one. Probably donā€™t want to confuse the computer any more than it already is.

2 Likes

Yep, what Andy said.

1 Like

Not only that, the injector actually does opens, letting the vacuum suck out some dropletsā€¦
Even on CNG or LPG they switch the injectors to an resistor bank, to spoof the computer.

3 Likes

I have made lots of miles on wood in the last 2 weeks, close to 1000. The system ran well, just emptyed the cyclone container every 200 miles or so, got just grey ash out. Never emptyed the gasifier.
Yesterday l saw the performance a bit reduced. As if the usual constipation l had before l lifted the grate was back. I reved the engine for a minute like l usualy do, thain the performance was back but not 100%. I decided to empty the gasifier today. The charbed looked good, nice size char, there was a bit of dust on in the reduction, noting special, and thats it. The ashpit looked clean (looks like since the ashpit is do small, all the dust gets sucked in the cyclone wich l like). I screaned the dust out of the char, put it back in, fired and drove to work. The performance was great agen. Whats goeing on?? I did nothing, yet the performance was much better. Any ideas?

Allso l wuld appriciate a tehnical tip. My ashpit is capped with a 2.5" iron threaded pipe and threaded plug for ash cleaning. hsvent opened it for so long, the threads sticked together. Tryed everything. Hammer, pliersā€¦ nothing. Any idea how l culd get them loose?

The lambda probe is according the function of your catalyser.
It always fluctuate between a little richer or a little poor, for burning the cat clean. Its never at steady state, it also gives fractional increase/decrease in injection time, to make it richer or poor.

Heat up the cap with a torchā€¦ temperature difference works

3 Likes

Got it! So in theory, those ups and downs shuldnt be present while runing on 100% wood?

yup, indeed, butā€¦ you might get out of range in one or the other direction

Ok, time for a test then!
So, the probe shuld show 0.45v on ideal ratio right?
Thank you so much for the help!

What Koen said

Heat with a torch

2 Likes

Kristijan,
I use old style plummerā€™s flax on those dump threads. Donā€™t have to tighten so hard and no messing with silicone for every dump.

1 Like

Interasting. How about the high temps? Does it hold well?

Those threads are about 2" from the dump wall and are also insulated by the char on the inside. The caps are not very hot. I can touch them with my hand.

Edit: Oh, I wet the flax with some used motor oil. Yes, seems to hold up well.

2 Likes

I think you just told us - you screaned the dust out.

A few days ago I stopped for while at a friends house. Before going home I poked down some and added wood. I didnā€™t light. I was convinced there would be live char down there. When pulling with the engine on the gasifier I had very little vacuum difference and I couldnā€™t get temps to rise. It had been sitting too long.
The low vacuum ratio (close to 1:1) made me worried, but I stopped at the road side and lit through the light port. When pulling with the engine once more the vacuum was suddenly normal (4:1) again.

Live char is a strange beast. Something happens in between the char when itā€™s glowing. The smaller the char the more in betweens there are. I think just a small amount of glowing dust can make your gasifier feel constipated.
Is it the produced gas that take up the space and make the charbed more restrictive or whatā€™s happening? Maybe someone more educated can explain before I wander off and start talking about witchcraft.

4 Likes

Actually you may be onto something there J.O.
I swear sometimes that Iā€™ve seen a pulsating breathing in the char bed windowed viewed on slow velocity design/operated gasifiers. Like a ram jet effect.
Think about it.
Has to have a new supply of upper CO2 introduced to the char surface to ā€œreduceā€ to 2)COā€™s.
If the CO produced is not flow swept away, shielding the char active surfaces and replaced with a new layer of CO2 . . . .
See my thinking?
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

I wonder sometimesā€¦ I wave my wand (torch) at this black powder (char), start adding random carbonaceous ingredients, eventually my cauldron of smoke boils over, I close the lid, and begin riding - on my wooden stick(s)ā€¦

Maybe witches knew something about gasification?? :hushed:

9 Likes

I think you are on to something
And we already have some mysterious sayings
BBB

4 Likes

Got it now. Good thinking!

Iterasting observations! I think the anwser to your question is heat. 1g of air at room temperature takes rughly a liter of space. 1 g of air at 1000c takes 4 l of space. suddanly you have to draw 4 times the volume of gas trugh the same charbed when its lit.

2 Likes