Leitinger wood gasifier

Ok the automixer is in, works well with air/air, unfortunaly l havent got time to test it with gas (damn afternoon shifts).
Now l have some theoretical questions. The automixer works well with good gas where air/gas ratio is 1/1. Now, what about lean and rich?
I was thinking if l hit the 25% petrol swich when lean, shuld this compensate with lean gas to geve good power or will it suffocate the engine becouse lean gas has more CO2?
And in case of rich offgas. If l get rid of that positive pressure offgas by a pressure releas system Max recomended, l have normal 1/1 air/gas ratio to the engine. Since there is wery litle nitrogen in that gas, the ratio shuld be at 2/1. How does the automixed mix perform in those situations?

Hi, Kristijan!

First: Forget everything about the off-gas!

As soon as the draft through the hot fanned gasifier starts, fanning or succing, the nitrogen will be there with ~50% dilution.

Woodgas produced in a helthy hearth has an ignition range of 12,5 to 64% gas of the mix.

50% is the most ignitable mix. (Lambda ~0,98) Different things!

If you intend to use your computer for gasoline with pressure nozzles, you also need the original air flap with an angle reader.
That keeps you “lawful” and independent of the gasifier circumstances.

Put the original gasoline “gasflap” with its reader in the air-leg of the woodgas dispenser. This way it keeps clean and operational.

You need a closing flap in the woodgas line (ahead of the twin-throat dispenser) for gasoline driving.

The air-side sampling hose should be attatched ahead of the gasoline
flap to avoid membrane “ripping”, if you forget opening
the gasoline flap when using woodgas!

The same applies to the gas-side sampling hose: it has to be attatched ahead of the “extra” woodgas flap, for the same reason!

When using both fuels at the same time, you have to manually balance the actual gasoline pumping according to what a Lambda meter shows! And how the motor sounds!

If the computer does not do it according to the lambda signal!?

So when giving some gasoline, you have to squeese the extra woodgas flap a bit, otherwise there is not enough oxygen for both fuels to burn completely…

This is unpractical to handle: Two manual regulations at a time is too much!

This has to be revued!

Comment what I forgot!

Max, the computer did a preety good job of finding the right ratio when hybriding, eaven when l unpluged the originsl throtlebody. Allso today l drove to work on gasoline without the throtle position sensor. No problems, good performance. I am a bit confusrd about that. I guess it gets guided only by lambda. Any thods?

With lambda showing 0,98 on 50/50 mix you mean the original lambda right? My lambda showed about 0,4-0.6 on best manual seting on woodgas.
As for hybriding l was thinking to put a T on the gas side before the sample hose to alow air to mix with gas, thet way the automixer meters 50% air and 25woodgas 25 air, so 25% woodgas 75% air. On the T wuld be a electic valve, opened with the same swich as the gasoline pump. Any corrections?
This shuld allso help the membrane ripping

Hi, Kristijan!

What is the “value” of the reading 0,4 – 0,6 ?

If burning standard woodgas mixed with air, 50% of both, an instrument calibrated in a Lambda scale should read 0,98 .

Lambda is the air factor compared to the theoretical amount of air needed for complete combustion.

The instrument can also be calibrated in kg air needed for burning 1 kg gasoline… ( ~14,3 : 1).

Your arrangement sounds good. If the Lambda sensor can regulate the gasoline dosage in the hybrid phase without any regular flap reading, you are lucky!

I hooked a voltmeter on the original o2 sensor (lambda sensor) showing about 0,5v. Are you talking in some kind of calculated value?

Hi Kristijan!
12.10. 2016

Then it is straight the voltage developed by the oxidation process. OK.

I guess you have either a map sensor or an air mass meter to determine the amount of fuel needed. I think lambda is mainly for for fine tuning. So is the tps. Lambda is not in use anyway until it’s properly heated. But it’s still surprising your computer doesn’t object to you removing the tps :smile:

JO, those Koreans are funy… I am starting to suspect they put the computer in just for an ornament, everything l disconnect seems to uneffect it :grin: l dont know if l love or hate this engine sometimes :wink:

True on the lambda, didnt think of that…

Well l just came home from the afternoon shift, and a first automixed drive! The resaults? Mixed (or shuld l say automixed :wink:). I have a big flat empty parking place, great for testing. I lit the gasifier and started to drive. First full gasoline, then 25%, then pure woodgas. It was driveable but not as powerfull as the manual mixed. The mix was lean, becouse when l swiched to 25% petrol the engine pulled stronger. I drove in circles for some time, untill the security guard started to make a lighshow with his flash light showing me to get the hell out of there. Drowe on the mainroad for a few minutes, power gone. Hit the hybrid swich, no use. Stoped and sissconnected the gas hose, drove home on petrol.
I was thinking what went wrong, got to a conclusion an airleak has to be present in the hot part, first giveing me lean gas when cold, and when the system had warmed up the leak egnited.
I plugged the gas hose while offgasing and found 3 leaks, one small on the cyclone weld and 2 on that damn ss flexhose :angry: Ill sure put that out…

Lets see what the morning brings…

edit: JO, l looked up what a map sensor is, and l have this on the intake manifild so yet a nother check in the knowing engine parts game l play, thanks for the hint!

1 Like

A nother question for you guys.
What is the rugh composition of gases in the fuel hopper? Put in other wotds, how flamable is the gas?
Let me describe my problem. I have a super hot hopper. Since it is insulated it reaches over 200c when the gasifier is up to temp. At this point the wood steams strongly wich is no problem when the engine sucs strong. But when l take my foot of the gas pedal, even for a few seconds, all the stem has to go somewhere. It cant go trugh the air inlet as l have a non return valve there, it can only go trugh the charbed. It gives me exelent gas for a few seconds but then the charbed cools to the point when l hit the throtle agen it needs about 5 seconds for the charbed to heat agen. Driveing off a stop is inpossible with 100% woodgas.
So l was thinking to releave the pressure of steam in the hopper. Put a non return valve on so the air cant be sucked in but the steam can go out. Then the steamy hopper gas wuld go trugh a cooling pipe and wet foam , like Max recomended, to condense the visible parts out the gas, steam and tar, te invisible will be vented in the alubox, where diluted with air and over time sucked in the gasifier.
My question regarding flamability is l wuldnt like to explode my alubox…

Do have a way to keep the idle at a high rpm at stop signs?

Yes Don its already at 1500rpm and its still not enough suction. When l dissasembled the non return valve lt ran and idled without a problem, but smoke came out from the intake eaven when highidleing.

Hi, Kristijan!

After condensing the off-gas ventilate the alubox through discrete, narrow slitzes near the lid. All around the box; discrete and proffessional looking…

This culd work… hope there wuldent be too much smell thugh…

Hi, Kristijan!

Don’t visit parkinglots around popular marketplaces! At least not before you are shure of it!

My bigest concern is police. They stoped me the other day and sayd nothing on the “extra parts” but if they smell or see smoke… We will see.

Were you speeding? Or having trouble going down the road? That’s what happen to me when I first started running the truck on wood , I quickly change it over to run on Dino fuel but flooded it. The officer just waited at the passenger side window until I got started, ask nothing about what was in the back of the truck.
Bob

2 Likes

I was accused of having a portable barbecue mounted in the back of the truck. That is what the lady at the toll both asked me when I stopped to pay my toll. I think she was hinting for a piece of chicken or a couple of ribs. TomC

2 Likes

No just regular traffic control.
Hate when that happens! Always in a wrong moment when you want to show your sistem to somebody or something similar, something goes bad :unamused:

Haha this is exactly what l plan to say if an officer asks me to open the alubox :smile: l have eaven considered makeing a grill to put over the lid to look more BBQ like :wink:

A couple of weeks back l went to a hen farm to buy young hens (the older ones were fed to the fox-unvalenteurly). The nice lady brought them out in a box and esked if she puts them in the alubox, and before l culd say anything she put her hand on a then uninsulated alubox. She jumped like she grabed a snake. She asked me if its a bomb lm driveing around :smile: insulated it as soon as l came home with rockwoll

2 Likes

Some progress from today:

The new, this time round cooler. More leak proof.

I put zigzag strips in the pipes for more turbolence, got this idea from JOs wood boiler heat exchanger (thanks JO).

2 Likes