Leitinger wood gasifier

You’re welcome!
Why not make a simular radiator to put vertical on the side of the alu box (WK- tubes) - maybe you don’t need a pressure relief valve. The lower connector could be a hopper juice tank in it self. Our hearts are simular, and I never see any power loss after sitting at a redlight.

2 Likes

Well Tom, you know what to have on hand when you go through a toll station next time, and if they don’t ask it’s great to eat going down the road on wood.
Bob

2 Likes

Kristijan’s Bar-BQ. on both sides of the box.
Bob

2 Likes

I just got around to reading this thread. Great looking gasifier! Talk about conceal and carry. Just looks like you’re packed up to go on vacation

1 Like

when you stop does your system go lean because you might have a leak that pulls tight with high vacuum but loosens up at lower rpm . while idoling on petro set your air control to where you normally do to run wood and disconnect the wood gas line put your hand there to feel the vacuum it will probably suck you right to it . then re hook the woodgas line still on petro idoling put your hand on the fresh air inlet to the gasifier it should feel the same unless there is a leak. just a thought.

2 Likes

Some one suggested to me to funnel the unwanted smoke/gas thru a canister of charcoal?? After I tightened up my system it was no longer a problem.

1 Like

All great suggestions!
JO, l have something similar in mind, but smaller and on the bottom. My problem here is weight. I am already at 70kg alltogether and every kg is almost 2 kg on the axle and bearings… l cant use aluminium becouse acedic hopper juice will eat right trugh, ss is triple the weihgt. But we will see!
Ha Paul l didnt think of that… I had many small airleaks. Hope to get rid of them with the new system. Althugh l am quite sure of the offgasing. Ill make a video of what happens when l dissconnect the gashose after a drive,
This wuld be hard to do now that l have an automixer instead of manual…

Carl, allso a pissibility! Then just burn the char in the gasifier. Closed cyrcle

1 Like

Ha JO wrre you reffering to a bbq grill camuflage? This culd work… more smaller pipes… how about tar problems?
Allso it wuld be a difficuld task to achibve as much cooling area as on your hopper…

Kristijan, my cooling pipes 1-1/4" there are 7. I put fins on them but they worked fine with out fins. And they did not plug up with tar. They are vertical. The fins really helped them to cool the air down. You can feel the difference from the top to the bottom. You have good air movement under the car. And no one would see the fins on the pipes. My two cents worth.
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

1: Time to find out your turn down ratio… ( minimum gas stream against max gas stream )
2: Increase the size from your filter would work to ( larger volume )
3: or a balloon like system, that slowly expands at a ratio that you not go below your minimum needed gasflow, this will also be helpful as accelerator after throttling down
4: ofgassing, take a look to some off my video’s , watching what happens if i disconnect the engine… the nozzle opening spits a gasflame… untill new suction comes…

5: some old school experiments might learn us more to understand some of the physics in the gasifier…:

What happens if we do this with a piece of glowing charcoal ?
Does this also happens in our gasifiers ?
Why would it , or not, happen ?

Finally: i am so much amazed with your knowledge and building skills and i hope to see so much more from you… Thank you for showing the older guy’s (as me) that the younger generation can do so much more…
Never stop thinking outside the box…

7 Likes

I can’t take credit for Bob’s bbq image, but it’s a good one.
I think vertical pipes can be quite small. I have only a 3/4" hopper drain and it has never plugged, except ones and that was a small piece of wood that fell down the gutter.

2 Likes

Koen, l agree on every point you stated. But unfortunaly l am limited by space. I was thinking to put a gas reseroar you speak of in the spare tire compartment, as this is the only place available, shuld help a lot, but puting gas inside the car with my son in the back seat is a price l am at no circumstance willing to pay. There has to be a different solution. A real brain teazer this is…
Sometimes l think we (and expecialy me) have only scratched the surface of gasification knolidge…

Did a first real automixed drive today! I just want to say the guy that invented this is a genious. Despite the old problems with steam killing the charbed temps when letting go the throttle it is such a smooth ride. Cant wait to see what the O2 sensor says of mix richnes. Power seems to be good, good acceleration, and above all… my hands are free!
I havent yet got the hybriding valve built, caused a bit of anger to other drivers when l culdnt drive off from the traffic light :smile:

3 Likes

You could also make it look like a rack to hold something like light weight folding lawn chairs. They will think you are always on a Holiday trip going some where.
Bob

1 Like

The gas reservoir could be at the bottom of the cooling tubes that are hold them and placing them apart, square tubing at the bottom and top, like what you built under your box. Like I said before make it look like a rack to hold folding chairs.
Bob

I realy like that idea! And there culd actualy be chairs on, the alubox has already shown some promise as a table for the summer time camping. I was actualy allso thinking to make a sort of insert to transform the gasifier in to a stove for camping cooking, but first things first :slight_smile:

1 Like

The gas coming out could run a camp stove for cooking. But weight on the back like you said is the real problem, you have to keep it light for the car to handle, going down the road. To much load on the back end is not good.
My cooling tubes are light weight tubing and they have lasted over 17,000 Miles on woodgas.
Bob

1 Like

I calculated the largest possible gas reseroar culd hold about 30l (7gal) althugh most likely about 20l. Its something and if nothing else is shuld aid to my on the small side gas cooler. I think it culd be less thain 10 pounds.

My reservoir is may be 4 to 5 gals. With the tar removed from it. I can dump it from inside the truck by pushing a lever down, usually every day on the water. It has a riser pipe in it so most of the tar stays in the bottom of the tank until I dump it out the 2" pipe. Works good. If can get rid of the water you should not need a gas reservoir, it is the moisture that is cooling down the charcoal bed like you said.
Bob

But you have biger filter and cooler volume right?

i was more thinking of this model…

there is always a place outside the car…

you could sell it as advertising space ?

2 Likes