Leitinger wood gasifier

Thank you Wayne for the video. When you are driving on woodgas only and you have reach top speed 65 mph on the flat highway, is the air to fuel ratio leaned out as far as you can get it when you switch over to Hybred by turn on the gas pump (full on)?
Do you have to add extra air at that point for the gas to burn on?
Do keep your foot steady on the gas pedal WOT or at the setting when you turn on the fuel pump?
Does the engine act up by missing a little until the engine’s computer gets the ratio mixer correct?
Is it the same for when you are climbing a hill?
I’m still trying to get this down. You can answer the questions on my 92 Dakota from the book thread, Do not want to hijack Kristijan thread. Thank you for your help on this.
Bob

1 Like

No worries l like to hear others experiances too, othereise l wuldnt ask for them :slight_smile:
I allso noticea slihgt stall when l turn the fuel pump on, a second maybe, for the computer to find the right a/f mix.

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob.

The smoothest way to make this transition is decelerate , gasoline full on , air mix open fully , go back to throttle setting and begin adjusting the air mix to get the % of hybird you want.

If you hold the throttle steady while making this transition there will be some backlash of the motor.

The above can be done very quickly and hardy noticed .

Anytime that gasoline is add the proper amount of air is also required .

Best to decelerate when making this switch . The motor will snatch if held at steady throttle. The switch to hybrid can be done in a sec.

No missing of the motor if the above is followed .

Yes

Mr. Bob

Top speed may have two meanings . One being the speed the trucks can hold mile after mile on flat road without over heating the gasifier. Kinda like a cross country runner . On the dakota it will be 60-75 mph the bigger tucks 50-65 mph.

Top speed for a short distance kinda like a sprinter will be 80+ on the dakota and 70+ on the bigger trucks

4 Likes

Wow Wayne, spot on.

It seems wether it’s your mpfi (injector timing) or my pressure adjustment, it will take a second or two for the computer to find the right mix if outof range.

2 Likes

I have installed a condense catcher today.

When installed, l started the engine on gasoline and this came rushing in!

No wonder l had problems with cold starts! Looks like condense forms in the gas suply hose at cooldowns.
Thain l went for a drive. It drove great. l burned about 5gal (1 hopper) of my 5 years old oak chunks, they seem bonedry. This is the amount of watter l catched:

Culdnt belive it! Thats about 1/3 of a galon! The poor engine had so much water to deal with before!

Allso, the water was wery black. Like old engine oil. I suspected the filter has a hole but after setting the water for a few minutes there was just clear water with a few pinches of extremly fine sediment. Nothing to worry about.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of water.
I wonder if this was my missfireing problem as well, during the hottest days this summer.
Is that a water filter housing? Clever.

3 Likes

JO, it sure shocked me. Overall performance is much better now.
Its amazeing how important is such a small correction to a woodgas sistem. Reminds me on how much more l have to learn.
First l planed to do a cyclone type of moisture separator, thain l thod l might just use a water filter houseing, saveing some precius time, and it seem to work just fine. And l get to see whats inside!

I was thinking to drill a realy small hole in the bottom, to alow water to drip out when not in vacuum, but let a minimal amount of air in. At this rate of water acumulation l wuld have to dissasemble it on every refill.

4 Likes

Some update:
I made a electromagnetic valve today for adding air in the air/gas mix for hybriding.

This ads just enough air for the computer to find good A/F ratio while on 25% petrolpump swich with hot gasifier and for startups goeing uphill with 100% petrolpump power (do need that when l go home from work)

Its installed between the automixer and the condense catcher.

Added a extra swich. First l thod to just put a double swich on it, so it wuld open the air valve and power the petrolpump on 25% at the same time, But culdnt get such a swich. Glad that was the case! With the help of the automixer, cars computer and those 3 swiches l can more or less do anything l like.

10 Likes

You had better start adding letters on your trunk door: WPAMEHAS (wood powered auto mixed electronic hybrid air supply). You might consider bring a whole bucket of grease for inspection :wink:
Actually I’m truly impressed by your skills.

6 Likes

Actualy l might just do that :smile: althugh l think the list of letters isnt terminated here yet :wink:

3 Likes

Itc is a cold rainy day today so l decided to take my family on a roadtrip, wood powered of corse. Here is a short video of it, and the refill procedure.

11 Likes

How bad do your clothes smell like smoke after a refill like that?

3 Likes

Actualy, not so bad. l was woried about that and have driven a work mantel with me for some time to put it over the clothes at refill but i dont anymore.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ride. Always of interest. Next time I hope who ever is holding the camera when you are making a refill, that they will give us a “head shot”. Makes our posting more personal when we actually see the person we a corresponding with. Big plant where you work. What do they do there?? TomC

2 Likes

Will do that, Tom. Wife was the camerman today :smile:

We make titanium dioxide. Yes, the whole plant is about a mile long, my place is in the middle, l am in charge of titanium ore to be milled and reacted with sulfiric acid so they can get pure titanium pigment out later.

3 Likes

Enjoyed the drive with the family, I’m always amazed at your little gasifier, on how well it works and compact it is.
And what Tom said. Thanks again for the ride.
Bob

1 Like

Tell your boss he owe you a “sales commotion”. I just bought 10 gallons of a latex solution loaded with your titanium pigment for the fence across my front yard.

TomC

5 Likes

Thanks for the ride Kristijan! I liked it a lot.
I have lot of questions.

Did you try out the electric air valve? I think I saw you using the swithes.
Are you still using hybrid for stop and go or only for high power demand?
Were you finally able to shut off injectors and gasoline completly?
Do you always refuel with the motor running?

Do not park in a pool of water. Your socks will get wet :smile:

2 Likes

That makes a pretty picture!

1 Like

Tom,
A butyfull picture! Callender stuff.

JO, if you noticed, after refill l drove on the mainroad and stumbled for a second. This is when l ran out of good gas and swiched to petrol by the new electromagnetic valve for a few meters to get some speed.
Hibrid is still nessesery at stops. I dont use it for stops that are less then abous 5 seconds long. But the electrovalve l more or less leave alone, unless its a startup or a realy hard pull.

It depends. I wuld say l usualy do yes. One of the reason is my son wakes up when l stop the engine if he is asleep :smile:

Ha! Injectors… yes l did put a burned out fuse with wires soldered on each pole in place of the original injector fuse, like Tom recomended and a swich to shut off the injectors. Last week l drove to work and the engine dyed on the middle of the main road when l drove off a trafficlight uphill. Cudnt bring it to life. Cranked snd cranked and when it finaly caught life there were alot of furious drivers behind. Drove about 15kmh uphill with a simfony of horns behind. When the worst was over l found one of the cables fell off the injector fuse. From then l have a original in and l think im gonna leave that alone. Ill decide when l calculate petrol consumption more accuretly.

Haha yes l realized my mistake when l stept out of the car :smile:

Ps l forgot to mention, l put a fan in the alubox. What a difference! I can now hold the hand on the gasifier at refills. Much less offgas.

6 Likes