Leitinger wood gasifier

Thank you, Kristijan!

When time allows, a sketch please!

Kristijan, I have so many questions I feel they would disrupt your progress. You seem to have a very clear plan for your build. I cheaped out and changed mine all the time depending on what material that happend to show up. Just remember to use the camera a lot. (Yes I know - it’s easy to forget) :smile:

4 Likes

No, plese, every question is inportant! I have a rugh plan but appriciate every bit of advice! lts easier to change things now rather when its all sealed.
A few welds and we are in for a long flare… Have about 30kg of chunks to get burned tonight.

2 Likes

Ok!
Hopper condence - funnel?
Sec nozzles - are they always on/open? Air manifold - How is it connected to firetube?
Grate? Reduction hight / width?
Hopper door? / Cleanout?
What is the plan for connection to car? Cooler?
…enough … for now :wink:

2 Likes

For now l went with no hopper condense catcher. I can always install it if nessesery.
Secondairy nozzles are always on, the hope is to crack tars at low rpm and crack water (to form more H2) at high rpm.
The manifold you can see on post 33. The air preheat is welded on it from the bottom.
Grate has 13mm slots, the total surface area matches the restriction. Restriction is 3,5", reduction 8x4" (for now) but the grate is made to force the reduction to be more like 6x4", haveing an inch of insuleteing char on both sides. Will meke a skech to make it clearer.
The hopper lid… a mistery to me allso… l have bought a ss pan cover from china shop but havent yet figured out how to hook it on the hopper. l have no ash cleanout for now, l think something simple will do the trick.
A compact cooler and a filter with ss dishwashing pads (had some great experiances with them) or hay. I might make a second filter out of towel material as it has shown to perform extremly well (on my Seat). Further l havent thod much. But the automixer is likely to be present…
l make changes on the way, but leave as much space for experimenting as possible.

3 Likes

Sorry, I forgot about that.

Interesting! Imbert/WK-hybrid.

I would put someting into the preheat flex tube to cause some turbulence to help the air pick up heat. Someting like an auger would be best, but maybe not the easiest.

1 Like

Good idea, will do that!

Prepared some wood today! About 60kg of dry beechwood branches.

Some might laugh at my chunker but its a start :wink:

Allso prepared for the winter

lnstalled air inlet valve. Tre purpose of it is to let air in while engine is on and shut it off when the engine sops so no smoke trugh air inlet.

the gasifier with cyclone

l blew up the fan today so no more flareing till monday :unamused: here is a flare from yesterday

7 Likes

Those look like pretty big chunks of wood for a small gasifier. Do you plan to split those yet?

1 Like

I like to cut “rounds” like that some times but as Don says, then I hit them with the hatchet and it opens the grain for better drying. And yes you get one more turn at controlling the size. TomC

Nice pics! I like the air valve. You might get the good old ticking sound our ancestors listened to.

1 Like

The wood is all different sized as l dont know what she will like to eat yet. Round, cubes, split, big, small… but the most are egg sized or a but bigger. For now it seems to like that size but lll have to wayt till l hook it to the engine.
JO l hope not :slight_smile: seems a bit annoing…

Hi Max

I have a question on cooling surface.
by your equation l get 1.6x0.7x2.8 = 3.1m2 for my engine. Is that correct? Do l count air preheat in it?
The gasifier is 0.7m2 so aditional 2.4m2 need to be instaled if air preheat does not count as cooling area.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan1

I would neglect the air preheater.
You will hardly regret putting more surface instead of less!

The tolerance to internal filth will increase too… 3,5 – 4,5m2 .

Make every single vertical tube scratchable from above!

Common collector and distribution boxes up and down.
In to the bottom tank and out at the top collector.

2 Likes

l thod so.
Now l just have to find a way to hide 4m3 of surface…

Here is a skech of the gasifier. thephoto is not so good.

5 Likes

Hi, Kristjan!

Isn’t the grate from the Citroen wheel center with bent-up slitzes?
The cupola?

Hi Max;
I wuld love to put that in but the old wheel was rusty on the cupola, makein it wery thin. wuldnt last long. I had to make a decidion and put a standard grate in but am looking for a nother cupola!
Im looking for parts for the automixer right now. Its sunday so l cant go shoping for other materials. Any idea how to incorporate automixer with manual control? l have some ideas but wuld like to hear others opinion.

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

There are two building descriptions of it here on DOW;

DJ’s and Chris’. After reading through them you can define what you want to do differently…

Videos and sketches, measures and principals…

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan
how you calibrate the ratio of primary air and air segondaire ?
I n 'never had seen a setup like yours.
you will give me back the interest for the gasification of wood :grin:

Thierry

1 Like

Hy Thierry

Only the nozzle sizes. I use 7 x 8mm on top and 3x 5.5mm on bottom. But l can change them.

Sure hope so :wink:

2 Likes