Leitinger wood gasifier

My slots are 1/4 inch wide…

1 Like

Hi, Arvid!

1/4" for chips!

1 Like

Krisijan!

Spare the bottom knob! It might be useful, if you aim at building a “rolling” shaker… a circular “conical” movement from the bottom of the ash bunker.
If you leave the upper edge unwelded. It may also be useful for raising and lowering the “cupola” grate in a cylindrical “firetube”.

Eaven the restriction can “ride” on the cupola edge with some modification.

1 Like

I thod about a adjustible restriction but am afraid tary gas might find a way on the side of it what do you think?

The grate will be moveable.

1 Like

I raised my grate to shorten the reduction. That solved the problem. Also I use slightly bigger chunks from time to time. It´s a constant battle to manage the reduction - sometimes too compact, sometimes too loose. One size doesn´t fit all driving habits, but overall it runs good now.

3 Likes

You rised it to 2" now? I was thinking to go with 4" for a start (puting secondary nozzles in to account).

1 Like

I´m at about 4" below restriction top right now.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!
15. of August 2016

Do pistons with rings leak very much despite >30 atm ?
Now we have a few Inches of water pressure difference above and below the restriction…

We are not on conventional ground!

The perifery of of a “composite” restriction plate can be formed by two split-up rings, tight above and below the main ring.
Bolted or clamped “semi-tight” to the main ring.

The main ring having 10mm less diameter than the firetube.
Between the split-up rings and the main ring, stove rope makes the “ditch” gas tight.

The two split-up rings having their splits 60 degrees apart along the periphery makes the fundamental tightness. The rope does the rest.

The fundamental ring stands on 3 or 4 flat legs along the firetube wall, reaching the ashbunker bottom. The legs have adjusting screws in the lower end for height adjustments.

Inside these legs the adjustable “cupola” grate stands on the center tap.

The main restriction ring gets insertable hole rings.

I understand you perfectly. But it wuld be hard to do with a double nozzle sistem. For now l set the restriction on 4" from nozzles and only spot welded it on 3 places, l can always change the elevation.

Aded 3 secondairy nozzles today on top of restriction.

Tomorow is shoping day :blush: the three bigest investments are yet to come. Right now l am at about 40€ (45$?) total cost.

2 Likes

looks like a old Renault wheel

1 Like

My grate’s cross sectional area is adjustable… 50 to 150% of the restrictions cross sectional area

2 Likes

We have fire! :fire: :fire:

The gasifier is near completion! Some pics:

the bottom wieu without the grate

the top/hopper
l havent yet made a cyclone but l just had to try and fire it up :smiling_imp:

I filled the firetube with charcoal for my Seat, fired it and added chunks of extra dry beechwood. Used a strong vacuum claner to push air in the intake. Smoke came out, barely burning and l was a bit dissapointed. Thinking what the hell is wrong l remembered l filled the firetube with charcoal, but not the reduction! Stupid. l opened the lid, picked the chunks out and corrected my mistake. Loaded with wood and after a few seconds of airblowing l had a flare! A bit tarry at first (a chunk might have fallen in to reduction) but soon it was makeing engine grade gas.

I took the pic in the on the sunlight so you cant realy see much of the flame. But to my surprise, at the first try it came out quite clean.
l measured the gas exit temp at about 250*C.

The bill: 118eur ($131) for now.

8 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Is the air preheating tube SS or Al? And what is the angle-bent round-steel ending with nuts and bolts, laying on the restriction plane?
How are you keeping the flex tube clean, when it is encapsulated?

1 Like

Congratulations! You’re fast. Keep the pics coming.

1 Like

Kristijan, It’s hard to tell the size of the gasifier. What are the dimensions of it.
Bob

1 Like

Max the preheat is thick flexible ss tube. The most exoencive part of the gasifier.
You mean the ash and soot bulilding on it? It looks like it shakes off but we will see. It sllso has about 1m3 of preheat area so if the efficiancy gets smaller it shuld still be enough.
The bolts are secondairy air nozzles.

Bob the goal is to make it as compact and light as possible. The overall dimensions are 16x16x23". The hopper volume is a bit smaller thain l first planned, it has about 30l useable area. With my beechwood l plan to use l am looking at about 9kg full so about 40-50km range but we will see what happens in practise.

4 Likes

Wow! You are a get-r-done type guy. More pictures please. I honestly can’t figure out what you have done and I am dieting of curiosity. The overall dimensions 16x16x23. Does that include the hopper?TomC

2 Likes

This includes the hopper yes. Hope l will have time to make a cyclone and then lll fire her up again, maybee vedeo it

4 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
19. of August 2016

How about the angle-bent round-steel bar connecting the secondary air “bolts”? Common regulation?

Is the angle bent bar actually an air distribution tube?

How is the SS tube connected for distributing air to the 7 nozzles, and the 2 or 3 secondary?

This is 10mm ss pipe conecting the nuts. Yes it is the air suply. The nozzles ( bolts) can be changed, they are now 5,5mm, main nozzles 8mm. Air iz suplyed feom the top 7 nozzles manifold, you can see the conecting pipe goeing verticaly from main to secondairy nozzles in the firetube. The flex ss tube is connected to the manifold on the outside of the firetube.

2 Likes