Leitinger wood gasifier

Max,

So you say for city drive a tighter restriction is advised?

Today l mounted a hopper cooling fan in.

Yesterday l drove for about 10km without the alubox, collected about 300ml of condensate. Today, with the alubox in place, conciderably less wkith notible power difeeence!
The fan is strong (renault clio fan), but it seems the hopper does need cooling fins.

What importance does the inner gutter present?
Now l have just a mesh separateing the wood from the hopper wall but it seems all you guys get better resaults with the full body gutter. Or am l missing something?

Kristijan!
I’m not Max, but I take the oppertunity to intrude since this is one of very few details I belive I fully understand :smile:
Mesh works, but not as good. If upwards flow is totally separated from the “cold” downflow with a full body wall the hot and cold fumes won’t mix.
I get the feeling you use the word “gutter” when you are refering to that wall, right? I think when using WK terminology the “gutter” is the ledge catching the juices (where the drain is). Wayne is using an upper gutter as well, but it will only be useful if you use cooler tubes.
I hope this makes sence :smile:
Below is how (I think) my hopper works :smile:

7 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

First, Jan-Ola is quite right! It is in oposite terms (contrariwise) like a chimney having each second tile removed on one side! What draft would it develope?

Then, the road restriction: Be happy! Keep the 90mm! Concentrate more on the glowing volume and keep it as hot as possible!

Remember that the heat is developed in the region where there is free oxygen, not in the “smoke” of it!

The restriction is just a way to make reactions happen fast, before the heat is lost by radiation, formost!

35pc of 3mm holes make 2,47cm2
45pc of 3mm holes make 3,18cm2 just to warm the walls!?

A good to have preheating, but to the expence of oxygen needed in the center region!

Discarding them increases the blast towards the center…

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Here is a skiss with the 7%, 6% and 5% levels of 12l/s volumes marked by colour bands.

Looking at it in natural size does not inspire to attempt multi-level nozzles, or what do you think?
I would use 6 nozzles on one level…
Trimming could be done by turning the nozzles around their own horizontal axis and having the tip-hole bored and aiming 15 degrees off center line?

Trying out a little spiral-feeding? Used in India…

2 Likes

¸Jan,

sorry for the terminoloigy. Sometimes l have the word in mind but cant find the right expression either in my language or English :grinning:

Hmm makes sence. l guess its time for a nother modofication. Plus, a full inner wall might protect the condense channel of plugging with sawdust.

Max, on the heating the wall with the 45 small nozzles l agree, much heat is lost outside. But dont forget! this is a lmbert/WK hybrid and all the lost heat is retrived back in the heart with air preheating! Atleast thats the theory. Penetration is provided with the 3 deeply protrudeing 8mm nozzles.

Do you think the downblasting or sideblasting nozzles might damage the insulating ashcone? In a normal stright nozzle configuration, the airblast jets colide in the center and travel down. In a down or spiral feding configuration there is a bigger chance of a jet to travel to the opposite side of the firetube, disturbeing the protecting ash and puting heat where it is not wanted. Just a thod.

Anyway, performed two tests today. l wanted to know what the the difference a hayfilter means. Huge!!

First, l drove without the hayfilter. Neaded to make some modifications to it so while it was off decided to try it out. Just direct cooler to engine gas suply. OK power, but terible idle and driveoff. Much hasitation while changeing throtle position.
Then, l remounted the hay filter barrel. What a difference! Better power, driveoff without hasitation, a much smoother ride. L wanted to film the nice idle and driveoff but l run out of camera memory and ended with a short video showing… well… not much :grin:
Perhaps it at least warms up my Northern friends, we have sunny warm 24C these days.

3 Likes

Hmmm, 24C! That’s not fair. We had snow this morning. Melted away during the day with a hot +2C :cry:

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

In a WK all the preheated air is fed into a centralized firetube “linearly” burning downward.
The walls in the upper part are “looping” back in a “primary preheat circle”, like in industrial oil burners, with the difference, that here the heat transfere goes through metal, while in industrial oil burners a part of the exhaust is recirculated by sucking injection into the primary air, preheating and helping heavy oil to burn efficiently…

But you are having a ring of “small bonfires” at the periphery, near the hearth tube wall. Some heat recirculation happens, and it happens also without the ring of fire!
But the consumed oxygen does not affect much the central temperatures. There is less oxygen now for the central parts…

The ash cone is always formed from the lowest supporting “plane” upwards; usually the restriction plane, in ~60 degrees to the horizontal plane up along the hearth walls.

Radially, horzontally blowing airbeams always form a commotion in the center! pushing out in all directions!

Decent spiral blowing forms a harmonious “trumpet profile” upward and downward.
Blowing in spiral and slightly upward makes an “inverted”
flowing trumpet. There is no room for individual “through-blowers”! The neighbor-beam is always correcting individual attempts, as they are initially in the same plane. Study spirals and feel comfortable benefits!

1 Like

“But the consumed oxygen does not affect much the central temperatures. There is less oxygen now for the central parts…”

This l do not understand. Where does the oxigen its self disapear?

Again, it was never my intention for the air blanket that produces via ring of fire, to protrude deeply in the center. This is the job of top nozzles.

A picture worth a thousant words!

l have a “new” modern engine. Everyone always told me modern engines and woodgas dont mix well. This is what l want to prove false, so l have to have zero tolerance towards tar production. This is the only reason l am goeing trugh the effort of developing a better gasifier. I might just be kicking the fog thugh… But the only way to find out is by testing.

6 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

When I get a “scaled” skiss, or a drawing with at least the main measures, it will be possible to assess better where different air deliveries and where “consumptions” take place.

Rant: My skisses are on 10 X 10 mm squared (checkered) paper, made with BMP, which should make it easier to get right proportions…

As a chemist, you well understand that I mean free oxygen as a nominal heat generator and afterwards as CO2 only an endothermic “burden” at reduction.

End of rant.

And now, the main “problem”: Acheived process temperature and volume.

If say ~1/2 of the intake air is “consumed” at a peripheral region, instead of inside the process cone, the net process volume and temperature will both be lower.

A good sketch is giving a better overlook…

1 Like

OK, a missunderstanding. l thod you ment air preheat depleats air of oxigen. This wuldnt make any sencre.

No problem on the dimensionised skech, if it helps, but l did this construction entirely by the feel, just folow basic lmbert dimensions.

“And now, the main “problem”: Acheived process temperature and volume.”

Temperature, l dont know. Volume is about as it shuld be for a lmbert and about the same as your Audi s, if not a bit bigger.

Yes, 1/2 is about right l think. But the first plane air jets are thicker, shuld penetrate a lot deaper.

I wast thod it is not nice to owe anyone-return the favor as soon as you can. So, the “mad sciencetist” test video, with a twist l didnt expect my self. Thanks JO.

The flames are just air sucked in by the chimeny effect, but its amazeing to see!

8 Likes

Wow! Now, that’s a hot video.
Nothing (no tar) will sneak past that ring of fire, Kristijan!
You are a true scientist for sure.
Thanks a lot. That was really interesting.
I’ve seen the video three times already. Wife tells me to shut down the computer. I’ll watch the video just one more time before I go to bed.

5 Likes

Very interesting video. It does "sort of " make the point of the ring of fire burning between the nozzles to keep any tar from sneaking past. You only have 3 major nozzles and there is still a lot of “black” space between the nozzles. I had 5 nozzles in my last design, but I am now converting to 10 nozzles to try to fill in the black spaces. Maybe now with a ring of fire, I could fill the entire surface with flame. TomC

3 Likes

I watched your video again and I have a question: At one point you say you close the air inlet and that the engine dies.
Why doesn’t it continue to run with the gasifier in fema mode? And if the air inlet is closed, what is coming outof the nozzles? What did I miss?

3 Likes

Ha! You didnt miss anything. Good eyes (and ears :wink:)

The problem is in my English. What l ment was GAS intake to the engine. The air can still be drawn in freely.

2 Likes

Ha, @JO_Olsson, as soon as you mentioned my charbed withstanding ash plugging in the other topic, problems started to apear :grin:
l noticed l had to drive “richer” every day, and was suspecting small peaces of char had plugged my cooler agen (this had happend before). Checked, all clean. There seems to not me any airleak in the gas suply, and the sistem runs cool so no airleak in the hotpart, its time to check the big reduction zone.

Oh, and allso my cyclone stopped produceing ash/soot at todays cleanout, a nother indicator ash decided to stay in the warm :wink:
Lasted for about 600km. Thats ok for me.
And a lot of city drives last few days, so no wonder!

3 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
You’re running with no grate at all now, right? So you’ll be emptying from the bottom and sift out ash/fines and put it back - or ???
When my dump is getting full it seems excess char will end up in the cyclone. Even only pulling with the startup blower will produce a ratteling sound in the cyclone. Might be a different story if there’s no open space at all below the firetube.
Is there any difference in power with this new gasifier? You’ve got a higher total nozzle csa in this one, right?

Still just above freezing here and some snow is expected in the weekend. I heard it was snowing down your neighbourhood as well.

Hi Jan,

thats right, no grate.
There is a perfurated plate donut shaped ring separateing the char from the cyclone intake. I suspect ash building here.
Either that, or vacuum the char out trugh the top. Sift and put back.

Yes, power is considerably better but it is other things l am more thrilled have happend here. Turndown ratio and the ability of driveoff after a longer idle, cooler operation (this vast reduction zone is imune to wormholes, overpulling in a short term), lower fuel consumption, and above all, this sistem isnt picky on fuel! If it fits in and burns, it preety much work. The old sistem l had to fill extra fuel for highway and city, now l fill big chunks (easyer to make :wink:) for every drivestyle.

Yes the csa is about 5,5cm2 i think.

“Still just above freezing here and some snow is expected in the weekend. I heard it was snowing down your neighbourhood as well.”

Yes we had snow a few days back but nothing bad. A catastrophy happend this morning. Subzero temps destroyed my new 3 year old vineyard, it wuld flower for the first time this year :confounded: Kiwi, muleberry, peach, apricots, wallnuts… All dead for this year :disappointed:

3 Likes

Please keep us updated if this is the case, or if the constipation is located down the charbed. That can be valuable information.
To sad about your garden frost damage :cry:
Here I haven’t seen a single green bud yet :angry:

3 Likes

Sure. lll make a video :grin:

l just watched the news. Most fruit farmers report about 95% loss of fruit this year. Last year they were at 90% loss. Snow in 27th of april broken the orchids. Lots of tears in peoples eyes :cry:

But, life goes on…

Not eaven birch and willow?