Leitinger wood gasifier

l added a nother feature to the system, a towel filter.

Ha! Its a combo of water scrubber, hayfilter and sack filter.

This is it after about 600km. No noticable pressure drop with clean throtlebody.

The scruber is surrounded with hay, wich is inclosed in a thic cotton towel.

6 Likes

l noticed the secondairy cooler geting hot lately. For a while, l blamed the 30c weather, but when l saw 3 of 5 pipes on the primary cooler cold when stoped, l knew whats goeing on.

Did a good wash, everything back to normal.

The large amount of char/ash residue was put usefully to the tomato garden :grin:

7 Likes

@gasman,

The 9cm restriction finaly burned out too thin for safe use, so l pulled it out and replaced it with a 10.5cm one, same lengh but not conical. Do you think thats too big?

The performance is a bit beter, noting mind blowing thugh. Need to test on a highway thugh…

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!
If you haven’t discarded the “diagram” over cold & empty velocities at max draft I have sent you, it looks deacent with a 105 mm restriction!

~1,51 m/s is a real road restriction, but dry fuel and good air pre-heating combined with good top-blasting should work in townships also.

Resending the diagramme as PNG.

The 90 mm restriction from before is not removed yet.
Go to 52,5 mm radius!

Tell about slag developement!

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!
How does the 105 mm work?

Slag?

Hi Max!
Performance is great, the gasser in more alert. But l did find a sticky throtle a couple of times, not sure its tar, culd be oxidation of trotlebody. Will clean thd tb and see if this problem repeats.

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
Use thick STP oiltreatment for the throttle axis, it will stay longer than thin oils! STP is long-molecular, and has almost no evaporation.

How about slag?

2 Likes

No slag! There wasnt any after l inserted the slagbuster and cooking pot grate! Just fotate one turn every 100km and thats it. 1115 km without ashcleaning now.

5 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
Describe the “cooking-pot” grate!

Post 990. The gas escapes sideways now.

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
OK, The name only, was new to me. Happy it works good!
What comes next? Following happenings on other pages?

Hi, Kristijan!
Hiding the silo, but as what would you form the cooling tubes, to avoid to be recognized for what they really are?

Like bee-hive frames on the back wall of the alu-box?
With genuine wood frames around the perimeter to confuse? Vertical airflow between the “frames” of aluminium?
Or making the alubox upper part double-walled?

Weight/function “weighs” heavily on the decisions…

Now, that you have a powerful fan blowing around the silo, would it be easier to metal-glue a ~15 mm broad, 1mm thick aluminium slice with a 3 mm 90 deg. “foot” continually tight-wound on the silo?

About 100 turns for a 300 mm height.

Nothing new to hide, conciderably increased cooling capacity… just an improved “cowling” around new ribbons…

Finding the heat-resistant (two component glue)

And a “winding machine” with locking; no backwind-slip!

Returning to grate-dreams…

2 Likes

I am not sure which would get more second looks: Bee Hives or Cooler Tubes! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi, MikeR!
Let’s see what Kristijan thinks of the internal ring-ribbon cooling by the fan!
There will be nothing new seen on the outside!

The rolling goes for a round silo, while a rectangular silo needs piece by piece per side.

2 Likes

To glue the heat-sink to the silo: I have not yet tried this (USA) product, but it is rated good to 1300 degrees C. (2400 F)

EDIT: I removed the link, because upon investigation, JB Weld Extreme Heat (a single part water-based product) has poor reviews. :confused: Regular “classic” 2-part epoxy-based JB Weld is good to 550 degrees F (288 C). To answer Max’s question, USA retail price is about $10.00 on the first item and about $7.00 on the classic JB Weld that works well.

2 Likes

Hi, MikeR!

Thanks for the tip! (I have seen this once earlier, when somebody had a cracked motor block!)

Now, an important property is the heat transmission factor. If this is even half of what aluminium has, it should be very satisfactory.

(a 3-4mm broad (contact)-foot taking up the heat and transporting it further on along the 1mm thick sheet is almost excellent!)

Thanks, but can the price per pack also be found? Just as a reference to what it might be in Europe…

The “gluing” can be (the “about” sign crashes the writing!)
about 120 meter long…

1 Like

That stuff is a filler putty not an adhesive like the JB weld epoxy.

For adhesive try this:

or
http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

1 Like

I like the other price better.

2 Likes

Hi, Bruce!

Thanks Bruce! The 1000F and 2000F might do the job!

All depends on if Kristijan is pleased with that solution for the silo cooling!
He has probably nightshifts these days or some other of 3-shift offset that is taking its toll… we’ll see…

The joint is steel silo to aluminium rib. Different heat expansion and “pumping”.

Eventually, partly cutting up the Al-ribs “foot-end” and slightly up on the profile, making “room” for the grater heat “pumping”… partly the same way as WK fire-tube ribs…

On the other hand, the silo wall has a larger heat cycle than the ribs…

1 Like

Hi, Bruce!

“In applications up to 30…” What??? And heat transfere compared to aluminium?
Comparison is comparison…