Leitinger wood gasifier

Agree, and the transition between one and a nother plane will never be instant, but then again, it doesent need to be. I know 90% of the roads and trips l drive, so choseing a nozzle plane can be done prior.

Choseing a idle or medium plane (downsiting) shuld be instant. Choseing a higher plane shuld require some time…

Hi Max,
The imbert zones from the bottom up in the imbert style are: bottom is the reduction zone, next up, at the nozzle level, is the oxidation zone, above the oxidation zone is the third level the pyrolosis zone fed by the uppermost zone, the drying zone. Yes, as you said the levels provide the heat prepared fuel one after the other for the triggering blow.

Hi, Pepe!
Longtimenoseen! (cn)

Yes, in standard cases. Now it seems, that Kristijan wants to keep the upper hearth (abowe restriction) “instant-active-hot” to full power volume.

A way of corresponding to the large distention now (re)found in the large reduction volume, which has the heat insulation capability to harboring fast action char in great volume.

Everything is now “hovering” in the upper end, as the lower end is in excellent “exapansion” condition.

The aim is to prepare and keep the upper end in “full power” condition even at low power intervalls…

Work, work…

3 Likes

Now you really stiring my brain steeling the show. Jokeing i am all in for this outcome, hopeing you can keep it compact as well.? Most of the salvage yards around my area been quik too recycle and slow responding too junk sales too public, probbly depending on scrap prices. Good luck with this new build, analized test run.Enjoying your build trends .

1 Like

Use different jets rings in your planes as well? Larger jet ring will process more fuel more char plus lareger volume of gas.

Ive been using a cross draft grate for around two years now I think might be longer than this now. There is less packing so you can get away with a larger reduction for more carbon exposure. At the bottom of the reduction there is another restriction plate. This creates a ledge for char to build up and it will pack against the walls. Later versions are getting a sleeve to aid this. But also this refocuses the gas flows just above the grate about 1 to 2" to create the cross draft and prevent packing here once past. The grate does have down ward flow venting at its edges but also the reduction skirt is vented. The reason the grate is vented is for the radial grate shaking mechanisms on these machines; a flat plate would be ineffective. Later machines maybe grateless with cross flow gas exiting with an after burn system. :fire:

2 Likes

Good idea on different nozzle plane diameter. Culd make the nozzle tips follow the 60° ashcone. Shuld work good.

What do you mean with afterburn?

Agree on less char packing. This reduction allows for the char to be sort of fluidised (while some of the gas goes up) carrying ash with its self. The fines are no problem as they can not plug anything becouse of their large working area.
In fact, when l empty the reduction, the char in there is about half bean size half wheat grain size. Shuld plug a normal fixed grate big time but gives me rich and cool gas without constipation.

Plus, there is a few minutes of char reserve for heavy acceleration and a few seconds of sportscar acceleration (4000rpm).

1 Like

Max,

You are right, constant air suply to non dominate nozzle planes shuld add fast in reducing prinary air velocity, but thinking further, only the top plane shuld have allways some air at disposal, just to have hot fuel for instant ignition upon choseing it. Lower tewo are always glowing got.

Kristijan, this is creepy. I’ve bee thinking about the same thing for some time now.
Since we seem to cover about idle to 80 km/h right now I was thinking just one extra plane of non preheated nozzles a few inches higher. An extra nozzle compartment with a manual inlet valve operated from the cab to open when you hit open road.
I doubt we will gain much power since the restriction pretty much sets the “sekundenverbrauch” possible, but we might be able to avoid starving the reduction of char.

Hi, Jan-Ola!

I see a “pyrolyse danger” in dosing all the “acceleration air” in the upper cold region, abowe the fundamental core region.

Streching out the “stand-by” processing heat keeps the “readyness” for big events more in balance… imagined.

Abrupt flushing the “small” core with a heap of pyrolyse “tar” can be overpowering its capability, if the lowest part is not at a very bright glow.

That’s the reason why suggesting to prioritize the uppermost and the lowest parts of the upper hearth on lower power levels.

The restiction dimensioned for WOT on open road.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan, Jan-Ola, etc…!

The total nozzles tip area set for WOT on open road with normal preasure drop.

But on idle and low power, when a high pressuredrop is allowable:

Higher blasting vacuum with 15% of the total tip-area for the top nozzles,

and 10% for the bottom nozzles.

These would always be open with no “mechanisms”.

Then the remaining 75% for high power would be controllable “manually” or by throttle position, not vacuum controlled, because that leads easily to a flip-flop, flip-flop self sustaining cycle.

The controlled 75% tip-area with separate nozzles in the upper region.

Not to forget: Balcony-roof 30*!

2 Likes

Ha, Jan, this is getting cronical :smile:

I like where this discussion is goeing.

Well, l must say l do not cover idle to 80 asl wuld like. Idle screws me if l dont richen the a/f mix and have the rpm at above 1200. Dont know why, sometimes l driveoff after 10 min of 900rpm idle, sometimes cant after 15s of 1200rpm idle. Gasifiers are female right? :smile:
Well, just the fact that althugh we have similar displacement engines, but you drive best at 2200rpm and l see best torq in a 2500-3200 range, says a lot on performance in a similar size gasifier.
80kmh is usualy not a problem, but it bites me so hard knowing if l sacrifice my char reserve, l have no problems goeing 120kmh. There has to be a way of makeingthis a reality not a risk!

This is why l proposed 3 planes, althugh 2 shuld work too. Less complexity.

I think the restriction is not our worst enemy. I run a 9cm restriction before, and a 10.5cm now, cant see much difference in power drag but l know this bigger one has lots of gas flow potential.

Max, l was thinking about automatism, but came to a conclusion that Wayne is right. Wood gas is 75% operator and it shuld stay this way. Perhaps later, if this shows ti work well, a automatisated process will be upgraded.

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
Yeah! The step between manual operation and automated is very short: Just let the throttle angle, or your finger say: Blast or full air flow… a flip on a switch.

On the 60* cone diagram you can determine good positionings for the nozzletips, all of them.

On my corner: If I were to build one now for the Micra, I would use 2 levels, 4% of the full per second gas consumption, and 8% of the full consumption per second.

These cut conical volumes in the hearth.

Adjusting active volumes by turning the nozzle-shafts around.
15 degree angle off the centerline for the nozzle-tips. This makes possible to “buckle” a low cone abowe or below the horizontal plane. Or “spiral feed” on the same (horizontal) plane.

The upper level would be altered between smaller maintaining nozzles , and added bigger full power nozzles.

The lower nozzles getting 20% of the max air and the upper ones getting 15% for constant blast, adding 65% for full power.

May change…

1 Like

Hello Kristijan

Below is a link to a gasifier that has about 5 air injection planes you may want to look at .

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm10732315/

4 Likes

One challenge I can think of is having a large enough reserve of wood in the upper hopper. Variable nozzle flow/ size and active position looks like a great idea, you should try it. I am convinced ceramic blanket insulation is a good idea. :grinning: You might be able to automate the nozzle controls a bit after finding out what the engine needs. (manifold vacuum vs. RPM for a start.)

1 Like

Wayne,

Thats a interasting looking machine. Wuld be interasting to see how it looks on the inside…

KristijanL you will probably never get to on-net see the inside of a many patents covered CPS system.
This same deep-bed chipped fuel system is the basis of the India Institute of Science / Combustion Gasification Propulsion Laboratory systems (IISc/CGPL). “Mukunda’s”.
Search and they have an extensive systems-around-the-world photo section. MAY now require a sign up register membership anymore to access. You would, with your works certainly qualify.
Deep bed-pac the air nozzles in-use follows the moving zones reactions. IISc/CGPL units are grate-less. They lower ash/char auger out a % of volume of the batch added new chip loads. Restiction-less. Replaceable ceramic tile lined carbon steel tube. Tall, Tall, proportioned systems. Stationary.
Developing world Rural intended systems are operator (for a human value-added job) monitored, and operator manual valved control of the jets rings as temp sensor monitored.
Professor/Doctor H.S. Mukunda is one of my humanist, do-no-harm, deliver results to real needs, real-in-life, folks worth emulating imho.
Regards
J-I-C Steve unruh

4 Likes

Sorry for the bad sound, my camera mic isnt good anymore, but this is a video of my weekly sunday maintinence.
https://youtu.be/ImcG_37yyCU

Plants love the potasium charcoal rich fertiliser, and the traces of wood vinegar are benifitial too. I sometimes spray the leaves too.

4 Likes

Kristijan, I’m envious of your garden. Ha - grapes out in the open - we tried 3 different polar grapes in our greenhouse. They all froze to death 3 winters in a row heavily packed in insulation during wintertime.
I’m sure your plants will like the sooty water. The grass grows like crazy where I dump mine.

Well, this is a small garden, mostly ment for early spring salads, and tomato/peppers. The other 2 are a litle bit biger :wink: need a lot more driveing to fertilise those two :smile:

Ha! Those are the grapes that froze in april! Amazeing recovery. Its a old half wild resistant woriety called Clinton that doesent require any maintinance or petrochemical concuctions. I bet it wuld do fine eaven in your climate! Originates from north America. Gives black tasty wine, great to eat and are ripe a month earlyer thain any “civilised” voriety. The wine is usualy finished when other vorietys start to ripe.

4 Likes

I grow Valiant and Beta here, they appear completely hardy in zone 3. Not the best varieties, but good for jam, jelly or wine.

1 Like