Leitinger wood gasifier

Nice video, thanks Mike. shame it doesent show the insides thugh…

1 Like

Just disconnecting the knock sensor will never work. Key-on the computers do sensors base testing! On Early one-wire outputting only Knock sensors - relocating to an electrically grounded position will work on ONLY SOME systems. These system keep advancing until knock detected, then jump back and incrementally creep up until knock is detected. USofA General Motors timing jumps ahead into knocking, then creeps back until knocking is not detected.

And the later 3 wire knock sensors are fed a computer supplied wave; that wave is sent back to the computer modified. Hard to spoof without an auxiliary frequency signal generator. These exist as sensor substitute “testers” of the computer.
Really late CAN bus systems, the sensors most all have built in analog to digital processors to be able to stream out digital data pacs onto the CAN bus line for all-computors-use data sharing. Not worth the efforts to spoof these. These system need an illegal computer lobotomizing and reprogramming to individual re-program command. Big-Brother-Is-Watching systems.

My confusing last cave-man story is just to show that we ALL use our brains daily on complex social networking. Approach new-Tech from the same viewpoint. Modify your inputs to get the results that you want.

2 Likes

Johan Linell’s hot filtering at 2:10.
Kristijan, you might be able to make it a bit more discreet :smile:
Edit: Eng subtitles can be turned on/off down in the right hand corner.

5 Likes

I think l have seen that fellow before but cant remember right now… looks like he allso uses fiberglass cloth. Has anyone got an idea what is this stuff used for and whre it culd be bought?

Fiberglass cloth is used with resin in the boat industry to form and patch hulls. Fiberglass insulation batts are more available and can be cut to size easily. I tried using rock wool mineral wool but that is crumbly and does not hold together like fiberglass.

4 Likes

The fabric and setup Johan used is the same as shown in this woodgas site. It’s in swedish, but pictures and drawings might help give you an idea. The fabric can take 800 C and you need minimum of 3,5 m2. The collected soot is said to fall of by gravity and car’s motion. All you need to do is to empty a dump below. However I’ve heard others report that if the wood is moist/too much steam in the gas, the fabric will clog and you will have to shake it manually.

I bet Max knows more about this. I know simular setups are used a lot in Finland.

http://www.gengas.nu/byggbeskrivningar/dukrenare/index.shtml

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

K.E. Burgmann was some years back a good source for glasfibre and mineral fibre filter clothes.

The company is still represented locally, but I have not checked their range of products reacently.

Here is a brochure of a “second generation” company going in the footsteps of K.E. Burgmann:

In this dokument you find detailed tables of products and properties.

I know the local boss…

1,8 X 3 ? X 0,5 — 1,0 m2

Don’t bargain!

PS: They seem to have ready woven socks/bags aswell…

1 Like

Thanks, J.O!
This is a good presentation. Thanks for sharing it. I liked the bit at the end where they show it passes exhaust emissions testing! :oncoming_automobile::grin:

1 Like

Way back when (1960’s), my Mom had living room curtains made out of tightly woven fiberglass cloth. They would leave bits of fiber that would irritate your skin just like glass wool insulation! Maybe that cloth is still made?

I just checked the internet, These curtains were dumped early in the 1970’s because of the itching, non-machine wash-ability and shiny appearance!

I remember those days too and she made the mistake of washing our underwear in the same wash water. It next to made us go out of our minds!

5 Likes

Found something…
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/welding-gear/Pages/product.aspx?product=Products_Equipment_WeldingGear-ApparelTools-CurtainsAndBlankets-WeldingCurtain(LincolnElectric)
Fiberglass Welding Curtain. About $30.00 USD.

Kristijan, Check out Patrick Johnson , thread " Wood Gas in South Africa ". He uses a bag filter tubes socks in a barrow housing, it self cleans when he is drive. He has little to no soot to his engine. In his thread I think he mentioned the material name for the tube socks.
Bob

I found a dealer for fiberglass fabric today! And what a coincidence, he is situated about 500m from my workplace! Been in the store a hundred times and never noticed it.
Bought it for a test. The stuff is cheap. Like Don sayd, its ment for epoxi repairs. But l have some second thods. Max sayd it shuldnt let sunlight trugh and this it does. I bought the thickest they had (300g/m3) and when you strech it a bit diagonal to the lines it opens up. BUT interasting, it is wery hard to blow trugh it. No matter how you pull it. Like the fibres wuld expand in a gasstream.
I have mixed thods right now. I have a place to put 1.6x2.4x0,5=1.6m2 of fabric in the filter, but wuldnt like to ruin the engine bo pulling soot trugh the cloth in case it doesent work.

3 Likes

Kristijan, instead of running though your engine , run it though a blower and put something on the other side like a white cloth across a box opening. That should tell you if the soot is going thought the fiberglass fabric.
Bob

1 Like

Made a few modifications today to the sistem. Lit up and went for a drive. This time l took my wife and son with me. For the first time l can say l am pleased with the resaults. We drove for about a hour, refueled once. The system now runs much cooler as the gasifier is insulated from the cooler.
The hot filter was a good decision. I strongly advise it. The cooling rail looks soot free, just a few drops of clean condensate came out of the gas hose.
There is a thing that concerns me thugh… there was no ash or char under the grate. Hope the reduction isnt constipated… althugh looking up from ashpit it looks like nice bean size char on the grate. I guess we will se tomorow

6 Likes

Reduction happens above the grate usually

2 Likes

Don’t get too concerned about things that are going well for you. It is my experience, that when you keep driving something will jump up and bite you in the butt. THEN you know what to work on. I still don’t have a clear picture of how this gasifier is working, but it sounds like the results for a major build, have come out GREAT or is it GRATE???TomC

3 Likes

Arvid l was redffering to the fact perhaps ash had collected above the grate, so none was found in the ashpit. But thain again l did only use maybee 8 kg of wood…
Tom l think you are right. First l need to make it road legal (licence plates and lights have not yet been instaled) and thain go for a long drive for a real test. Now l just drove on vilage roads, never pushed it faster thain about 40mph. But it sure felt great to DOW :wink:

My father in law and l had fallen and split 2 big beechtrees for him to sell yesterday, they gave about 2 cords of firewood and l got all the limbs and branches to feed my gasifier. Time to make a chunker.

5 Likes

You’re fast, Kristijan! I had no idea you were so close to DOW again. Hot filter ready already? Did you use that “let through sunshine epoxy fiber glass fabric”? What kind of housing for it? And what about he new air preheat void? A new container? To quote a well known celebrity on this site: “I don’t want to sound pushy, but” this will require some photos.
Edit: Oh, and what about the sec nozzles, did you raise them?

5 Likes