Life Goes On COVID 19 Discussion

Hi guys I am with Bill on this point I like “Life Goes On” for topics other than politics and social systems. Thanks Jakob

5 Likes

I can handle that… twenty times…

3 Likes

Any way, what discussion ?
I want all of you to stay safe and sound, period.

Put a sign up on your lawn: " visitors without a mask will be…" :grin: ( hint @TomC)

4 Likes
NON-CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT FOR INFECTIONS IN CATTLE

Publication number: 20140255352

Abstract: Compositions and methods for treating and/or preventing bacterial infections in animals such as bovines are provided. The compositions and methods utilize the predatory bacterium Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus to treat and/or prevent infections such as infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis (IBK) and bovine respiratory disease (BRD). Use of the bacterium obviates the need for chemotherapeutic measures.

Type: Application

Filed: October 1, 2012

Publication date: September 11, 2014

Inventors: Melanie J. Boileau, Kenneth D. Clinkenbeard, Rinosh Joshua Mani, John J. Iandolo, Huda Mussa

I found that Melanie J. Boileau had lost funding to do further research and I wanted to extend her money to continue her research .
I funded veterinary research .
I wanted to form a business and was partnered with some one who said he owned me because he paid the university for the partnership . I donated the full amount needed for research to researcher Melanie J. Boileau . Year later my attorney found Melanie J. Boileau intended on eventually using money to hire fundraiser . The university canceled the project and my money was refunded .

Yes probably good to do put Covid-19 observation on it’s own separate topic.
It is Real. It is going to be long lasting Real past this summer. Just like all of the other stubborn virials. AIDS. Mononucleosis. The common colds. The influenzas’.

And as I’d said on the Life Goes On Summer topic it cannot help but be political; and I have been surprised, a Religious hot-button-topic too.
You wonder why I’d say; or even touch, the Religious no-touchy too, eh?
Here in Oregon and Washington State’s our Churches, Synagogues and Mosques are being very compliant with services gatherings. They care.
Our secular elected States and City leaders, and hired Public Health officials are saying that there is no evidence that the 45 days of nightly rave/mosh Demonstrators shouting hundreds shoulder to shoulder gatherings are contributing to the Covid-19 spread.
Pure PC, dog compliment roll-overs, says I the not-a-Christian, humanist.
Now in Portland and Seattle some of the career black officer front line Police are on camera saying it is very disingenuous to be facing to face with angry white privileged demonstrators screaming at them BLM; and then eyes lazing them, and pelting them with injurious thrown crap.
Insisting forcing de-funding of the cities police resulting in these same black officers being without careers, and incomes to support their families.
Demilitarized the police. Sure. Pie-in the sky eliminate them just like the now eliminated schools resource officers? An anarchist and gang-bangers dream ideal. And they, like the ANTIFA crowd DO Religiously try to with violence force their own belief systems onto the rest of us.

We were four weeks ago promised September Schools re-opening.
Now since these Urban core demonstrations, these same public official’s are waffling opening up the schools for our children “until safe.” Safe now being re-defined as after the release of proven vaccine’s. Next Spring. Next Summer.
Will not be too much loss set-back for our kindergarten and 1st grade foster girls.
But high schools 10, 11, 12 graders??

As I said Covid-!9 is real.
Now neighbors reporting personally blood related known family and associates who have had it. Gotten sick, and survived.
Every family will be touched by this in the next 12 months.
Just as with cancers, strokes/heart-attacks, dementia, and auto accidents.

Pretty simple actually. Do what you can. For yourself and others. Endure what happens.
But never let others force you to living in their fears mind sets.
Steve unruh

9 Likes

A follow up.
I do not have to go chasing Covid-19. It is here now in my face just a mask distance away.
I do not have to go chasing these demonstrator’s splash-backs. They are now coming out and stuffing our rural mailboxes. Coming out to our’s and the other rural small towns councils demanding resolutions of support.
Or, else.
So it has become in-face too.
S.U.

8 Likes

I have a question for you, SteveU!

Born, brought up and living where tabus are rare I sometimes find the unvillingness to discuss for example politics, religion, sexuality and even health strange.
We’ve been fed Big Mac and Hollywood since Elvis but I guess most of us never realised the complexity of the US society.
I get the feeling it’s not a multi cultural or a religious thing. Political? Maybe.
What’s your take?

Our perspective? We may be somewhat naive.
This is a parody, but not far from the truth.

3 Likes

Hilarious video as it was intended I am sure J.O.

You ask me a very deep question that has been debated and written of for about 180 years.
Alexis de Tocqueville’s 1830’s “Democracy in America”. And many others such as 2010’s “Tocqueville’s Discovery of America”.

So realize this is just my opinion what I say now.
In America we live an evolved by necessity a unique Culture.
We truly are a nation of immigrants.
We had the space for centuries to be able to just move away and set up communities with different accepted norms.
Yes. Yes. Some will say so did Canada, Australia, even eastern Russia/Siberia.
But we did reject Imperialism, and reverence to a strict top-down directed “normalizing”.
Throwing out the British Elites meant throwing out the Church of England too. Those churches here were reformed as American sects. Why the forced evolving in 30 years of our spoken/written language. Adopting the base ten monetary system before Napoleon. Rejection of British teas for Arab coffees.
And an estimated 200.000-300,000 want to stay British Crown Loyal’s did immediately depart for Canada. The earliest push out of Love-It; or Leave It.
Today those are hundreds of thousands of American born; now overseas living expats.

So . . . do not like the local predominated Church in your community?? Move away. Even set up you own church as in the Later Day Saints.

Many here for many decades leery of those who would be Roman Catholics with split loyalties to the Pope and Bishoprics outside the USofA. American Catholics have fought well in every American conflict. Southerners and black in WWI. Native Americans and Asian-American in WWII. BY the 1950’s Korean conflict all were integrated fighting side by side.

So our evolved culture is if you want to stay local, peaceable . . . . shut up and get along with whomever the many local’s are; and want to be.
You do not change them. You want to stay local you become them.

Yes I know this can be confusing to observe through our history and even currently.
But why we sat out the first 3 years of WWI, and the first 2 years of WWII.
“Let the old left behind counties/cultures fight it out as they have for centuries.”
“You American now. Live it for what is, and can be.”
We are very good at stealing foods, recipes, words, and genes.
We are very objectionable about forced rapid changes.
We are very objectionable about slippery-slope cultural shifting trickiness.

21 different hopefuls for my States Governor running for the November vote.
Wow. What a spectrum of declared approaches.
We will weed down to the top primary voted two in August.
The winner of these two in November to be the one in the hot seat for the next four years.
IMPORTANT for civil peace that him/her is left to do their job. Unhappy. Wait. Vote them and their ideas out the next time.
Through out our history there have been times that has not happened.
1790’s Whisky Tax Rebellion.
Our 1860 began long put off Slavery Issue deciding civil war.
The WWI Veteran’s 1930’s “Bonus” Marchers machine gun stood off on out Capital steps by their former Army fellows.

My points are from our was-there/left-there immigrants histories many of us remember how bad things become when the wheels of civil discourse stop; or spin too fast coming off.

Example. My local town of 1600 has five different churches of different faith expressions.
Any one from any of these churches, or not-church=goers have been Mayors and Town Council members. Works as long as their own religions, politics, expression’s of sexuality are left outside of their community business.

Believe me. Many of us are very unhappy with the bouts of "American Adventurisms’ " Be they Disney, MacDonald’s, or Secutary of State Hillary’s, Arab Springs: give-them-hope-then-leave-them-high&dry.
Believe me. Many of us are damn weary of being the world’s most effective Cops.
UN Peacekeeper’s? Naw. Unless they are the French Legionaries.
Many of us very irritated having become the world Covid-19 hot spot from our adventurer tourists.

I know. Too long.
Short. We have learned we must be very good at look-away; don’t preach; don’t convert; don’t force, to have civility.
Because once the true wheels do fall off our histories shows that we can do war really, really well; quickly shedding off the eepie-weepies sensitives artistic expressive types.
When the bullets fly the worthy stand-out and we all become bonded brothers.
S.U.

5 Likes

Now the real question is will any of the evolved proven old-line cultures anywhere survive the go-fast, faster, social media fracturing environment of today?

The artistic expressions paints six feet up now on the Portland downtown buildings, and Seattle streets did not actually design, construct, finance, or maintain those structures.
That took WORK. And takes buckle down annual maintenances work.

BurningMan comes, it goes, and is quickly gone.
Be a grasshopper? Where Today is the only value.
Or be an ant? Be a honey bee? Where the group go-forward is the normal.
S.U.

4 Likes

We were backpacking through the Indonesian archipelago in 91. At the time we were able to avoid meeting another white man in weeks. Wonderful, smiling people dressed in sarongs curiously wanted to touch our skin.
For a moment I was convinced this was paradise on earth. Until one day, in a palm leaf shed in the middle of nowhere. Fresh fruit stacked on the ground for us to buy, but with a big smile the gorgeous young woman brought us cans of Coca-Cola and offered us to pay with Visa or MasterCard.

11 Likes

Ha! It is us stay at home-fires Americans who practice look-away; don’t preach; don’t convert; don’t force to have domestic civility.

Our world hopping travelers . . . . are deferent breeds of cats.

All cultures have a distance between what they project/how they see themselves, versus what they actually are.

Thanks.
I was sure that the ordinary Swedes were not Pippi Longstocking and the My Life As A Dog types. Or dramatists actors types.
A country that can develop the world class Borfors systems just has to have some very practical people. Joke. Some day we will need those alien killing systems. Still a bit giant troll shy there, eh.

Regards
Steve unruh

2 Likes

On July 17, 1932, thousands of World War I veterans converged on Washington, D.C., set up tent camps, and demanded immediate payment of bonuses due to them according to the World War Adjusted Compensation Act of 1924 (the original act made the bonuses initially due no earlier than 1925 and no later than 1945). Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant, led this “Bonus Army”. The Bonus Army was encouraged by an appearance from retired Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler; as a popular military figure of the time. A few days after Butler’s arrival, President Herbert Hoover ordered the marchers removed and U.S. Army cavalry troops destroyed their camps under the command of Gen. Douglas MacArthur.

2 Likes

The Works Progress Administration ( WPA ; renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration ) was an American New Deal agency, employing millions of job-seekers (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects,[1] including the construction of public buildings and roads. It was established on May 6, 1935, by Executive Order 7034.

The WPA’s initial appropriation in 1935 was for $4.9 billion (about 6.7 percent of the 1935 GDP).[2]

Headed by Harry Hopkins, the WPA provided jobs and income to the unemployed during the Great Depression in the United States, while developing infrastructure to support the current and future society.

Above all, the WPA hired workers and craftsmen who were mainly employed in building streets. Thus, under the leadership of the WPA, more than 1 million km of streets and over 10,000 bridges were built, in addition to many airports and much housing.

The largest single project of the WPA was the Tennessee Valley Authority, which provided the impoverished Tennessee Valley with dams and waterworks to create an infrastructure for electrical power and to help prevent floods. Many famous structures were constructed with the help of WPA labor and funds, including Camp David, the presidential estate in Maryland often used for international meetings, and the on-ramp to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge.

At its peak in 1938, it provided paid jobs for three million unemployed men and women, as well as youth in a separate division, the National Youth Administration. Between 1935 and 1943, when the agency was disbanded, the WPA employed 8.5 million people.[3] Most people who needed a job were eligible for employment in some capacity.[4] Hourly wages were typically set to the prevailing wages in each area.[5]:70 Full employment, which was reached in 1942 and emerged as a long-term national goal around 1944, was not the goal of the WPA; rather, it tried to provide one paid job for all families in which the breadwinner suffered long-term unemployment.[6]:64, 184

1 Like

President of the United States]) [Dwight D. Eisenhower] used the term in his [Farewell Address to the Nation on January 17, 1961

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction…

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence—economic, political, even spiritual—is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex . The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

2 Likes

I linked this back to my original statement to give a follow up American-Culture force enforcing factor.
The waves of sponsored encouraged immigration between the 1870’s thru the early 1920’s.
These were all directed through only a few large cities entry points.
Many of these immigrant waves did not move on out to the great mid-US empty areas, for work-to-own homestead lands. Or work in resource harvesting industries of railroads building, mining, fishing, forestry. My immigrants families chosen pathways.
Instead many did into their entry cities settled, and reset up their brought trades and skills. Or became that cities base labors workers.
Either route, they became living working shoulder to shoulder in very mixed up neighborhoods and work groups.
IF you valued productive working, and community peace you learned to listen deaf to accents, religions and initially clothing and hair styles different from yours. And soon learned like the new foods, better expressive words and even new genes diversity brought. Boys love girls. Girls love boys. And babies result.
Get along to go along and there was peace if not perfect harmony.
Let your bias’s and prejudices run wild and there would be for a time rioting, looting, lynching’s, death and destructions.

So I will say that the Portland and Seattle “protestors”, “demonstrators” who step across a line into defacing and damage let loose old, known demons.
They are at a minimum young and stupid.
The Older, should know-better, are not Not True Americans able to get along with voting evolving changing.
Their actions are simply a re-incarnation of the old KKK. Hooded masked mob anomality. And the all black wearing AntiFa’s have fallen into a fascist emulating mind-set and actions.
Mass marching’s of you-will-accept-this, or else. Or else: we will give you violence and dark of the nights fear attacks.
And they will reap the kick-back reactions that the 19teens thru early 1960’s KKK produced. That Charlie Manson with his nights fear making killing Helter Skelter’s did.

And these States Governors and Cities Mayors by allowing this to continue unchecked, and growing, also break an unwritten American social contract. They fail to lead. Fail to set and enforce night activities limiting curfews.
These until 2-3 in the AM close shoulders to shoulders masses of singing, chanting shouting IS a Covid-19 spreading activity.
The until now broadspread voluntary compliance to their spread reduction health decrees will now melt away. They have thrown away their moral high ground. Thrown away their credibility.
1960’s Civil Rights and Vietnam War marchers were not community spreading a deadly virus out to those who did not choose to be involved.
These current are. By going back home to their uninvolved families; and to works daily, and so they are.
This is the height of irresponsibility.
Kills the message of any of the good the true BLM movement folk had hoped to achieve.
S.U.

5 Likes

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2020/06/bacterial-predator-could-help-reduce-covid-19-deaths.aspx

Bacterial predator could help reduce COVID-19 deaths

A type of virus that preys on bacteria could be harnessed to combat bacterial infections in patients whose immune systems have been weakened by the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes the COVID-19 disease, according to an expert at the University of Birmingham and the Cancer Registry of Norway.

Called bacteriophages, these viruses are harmless to humans and can be used to target and eliminate specific bacteria. They are of interest to scientists as a potential alternative to antibiotic treatments.

In a new systematic review, published in the journal Phage: Therapy, Applications and Research, two strategies are proposed, where bacteriophages could be used to treat bacterial infections in some patients with COVID-19.

In the first approach, bacteriophages would be used to target secondary bacterial nfections in patients’ respiratory systems. These secondary infections are a possible cause of the high mortality rate, particularly among elderly patients. The aim is to use the bacteriophages to reduce the number of bacteria and limit their spread, giving the patients’ immune systems more time to produce antibodies against SARS-CoV-2.

Dr Marcin Wojewodzic, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow in the School of Biosciences at the University of Birmingham and now researcher at the Cancer Registry of Norway, is the author of the study. He says: “By introducing bacteriophages, it may be possible to buy precious time for the patients’ immune systems and it also offers a different, or complementary strategy to the standard antibiotic therapies.”

Professor Martha R.J. Clokie, a Professor of Microbiology at the University of Leicester and Editor-in-Chief of PHAGE journal explains why this work is important: “In the same way that we are used to the concept of ‘friendly bacteria’ we can harness ‘friendly viruses’ or ‘phages’ to help us target and kill secondary bacterial infections caused by a weakened immune system following viral attack from viruses such as COVID-19”.

Dr Antal Martinecz, an expert in computational pharmacology at the Arctic University of Norway who advised on the manuscript says: “This is not only a different strategy to the standard antibiotic therapies but, more importantly, it is exciting news relating to the problem of bacterial resistance itself.”

In the second treatment strategy, the researcher suggests that synthetically altered bacteriophages could be used to manufacture antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 virus which could then be administered to patients via a nasal or oral spray. These bacteriophage-generated antibodies could be produced rapidly and inexpensively using existing technology.

“If this strategy works, it will hopefully buy time to enable a patient to produce their own specific antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 virus and thus reduce the damage caused by an excessive immunological reaction,” says Dr Wojewodzic.

Professor Martha R.J. Clokie’s research focuses on the identification and development of bacteriophages that kill pathogens in an effort to develop new antimicrobials. “We could also exploit our knowledge of phages to engineer them to generate novel and inexpensive antibodies to target COVID-19. This clearly written article covers both aspects of phage biology and outlines how we might use these friendly viruses for good purpose.”

Dr Wojewodzic is calling for clinical trials to test these two approaches.“This pandemic has shown us the power viruses have to cause harm. However, by using beneficial viruses as an indirect weapon against the SARS-CoV-2 virus and other pathogens, we can harness that power for a positive purpose and use it to save lives. The beauty of nature is that while it can kill us, it can also come to our rescue.” adds Dr Wojewodzic.

“It’s clear that no single intervention will eliminate COVID-19. In order to make progress we need to approach the problem from as many different angles and disciplines as possible.” concludes Dr Wojewodzic.

Notes for editors:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Related to Covid-19 shut down effects.
We and all of our adjoining neighbors with children have been keeping the households children separated.
And certainly avoiding taking the children visiting elderly family age weakened.

Some families with a single child have compromised combining with another family with a single child best-friend.

I thought we were mostly doing OK 'cause our two girls are sisters, near enough in age to have each other.

Then a two years older than me library friend got an old horse and saddle to entertain his from SoCal for the summer visiting god-daughter. She even with the horse play got cabin fever, sad and lonely.
He begged me to allow the girls to mingle, play and visit with each other.
My mind said OK if they mask up and pre/post hand sanitize.
OK we will try, he said. His girl, very sensitive could not tolerated any kind of mask. We did offer try three different ones.
And if she did not wear, no way I’d get my two hellions to stay masked up.
So . . . . Ogre, me?
Or let the 12 year old knowledgeable horse-camp gal set up our 5 1/2 and nearly 7 year old girls with horse back rides?
Ha! This 'ol Ogre got swarmed!
Then bush whack playing, Trees climbing. And blue berry picking.
They found free-range chicken hidden eggs.
Discovered a hidden bantee hen eggs sitting.
Got in dog play with our two need-kids dogs.
Got to be, have-fun-kids, using their imaginations. As kids should.

My points are the same as I make with my woodgas advising.
Life IS a balance of dynamic movements. Beyond clear cut calculations.
Take the risks. Only way to truly learn and grow.
Curse those who have become “follow the data” limited. Certainly do not follow their dead end pathways.
And that it is the simple direct see-do systems that uses shake out and matter in the end.
Fools have been over sophisticating, and over complicating mechanical, legal and social systems for millennia to dragged to a stop; systems failures collapse’s.
And damn-you-for-the fool for falling for their "better’ and “ideal” spins.

Do. Enjoy doing. Have fun. Investing always into the true future.
Sometimes a cost of this will come due.
Be willing to pay the dues.
Without risk there can be no successes. No futures pathfound.
Without previous Us’s risking and paying dues you and I would not be here now.
Playing it safe you just put off paying inevitable’s.
Take your lumps early by walking into them. Shake them off. And move on forward.

The NOW we have was our forbearers Future they dues-paid invested into to make happen for us.
We owe this dues-now paying forwards for our children’s futures.
Fears myopic frozen; or random scattering fleeing do not make Futures happen.

Regards
Steve Unruh

9 Likes

Lou Holtz in response to being locked down due to the virus- “Don’t keep me alive by keeping me from living.” He did explain about being sensible about it.
I just liked his quote.

7 Likes