Life goes on - Summer 2016

How time flies. We like it for the kids, but not for ourselves.:relaxed:

4 Likes

Doug, we have bamboo growing up here in Washington State on the west side of the state where there is more rain fall, 90 inches + a year and a warmer climate. Where I live we only get, if we are lucky 20 inches a year of rain fall and the winters are much colder.
Bob

2 Likes

Hello Doug .

We have very little in my area but enough for fishen poles :relaxed:

Yes , It has been over ten years ago and I don’t remember the details .

I don’t think the weight will add up like wood.

5 Likes

Thank you Mr Wayne for the ride and video. That is the kind of back roads I like . No “hot rodding” on that kind of road, narrow, windy, and if you get two feet off the road, you will probably meet a tree. We have some beautiful areas also with tree, and small hills, but the road commissioner says we have to meet state specs. for our roads. So the roads are a minimum of 22 feet wide and the right of way is 66 feet and no trees or telephone poles with in that area. It really takes away from the back country feeling when you have wide open roads. Thanks again for thinking of me. ( Who painted the sign on your red trucks gasifier— looked good) TomC

3 Likes

Hi Brian, it’s buckwheat. Some seeds from last year. I eat the few growing before disking, broadcasting and then rolling the seeds in. Buckwheat isn’t a wheat or a grass, just a tasty weed like plant

Sure wish it would rain, nice for the party people but not good for people that like to watch stuff grow… :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

4 Likes

Wayne, you haven’t age a bit, but the boy sure did and grow too.
Bob

2 Likes

Hi Brian,
I’m anxious to see the Lumber maker results and glad to see it finally put to use. Enjoy.
Pepe

3 Likes

While watching fireworks last night, I asked my Mexican born son in law if they had 4th of July in Mexico. He said no. I then asked him if they skip from the 3rd to the fifth of July. He thought for a minute and then with a twinkle in his eye said " you got me there" :smile:

6 Likes

Well I know we have cinco de mayo here because that is the day I got married.

2 Likes

Jeff,
Try buckwheat pancakes and you’ll never go back to “regular” flour. Yes, it’s a lot of work to strip the casing off the seed, but worth it. A good cover crop also. Pepe

3 Likes

Pepe, tell me about stripping the casing off the seed! :relaxed:

How about harvesting…? Cut, group and wack on a canvas.?

I need to order a hand crank expelled or build one. Lots of uses for oil. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Bcuckwheat originates from the slavic cuntryes. It is sayd that when the slavic people migrated, they came to a place and threw some seeds on the grownd. The gods gave them a sign andi they set their roots with the buckwheat. Its called “ajda” in our language, and the old name for slavic people is “ajdi”. It was once grown on every farm in ny country once but it is a rare crop nowdays.
They used to plant buckwheat after the barley/wheat in about this time of year. It wuld flower at the time where there is litle pasture for the beas so they surveved trugh winter. Buckwheat honey tastes anazeing! When the seads riped the whole plant was cut and dryed and then the seeads were beaten off by a special tool. l think they were thain steamed and dryed again to loose the caseing off. The seads were cooked as such, or mealed in to a flour. The bread was made out of about half buckwheat half wheat flour, mixed with wallnuts. A few slices of that bread stop the hunger for a long time.
It has a lots of protein, no glutene and loads of vitamines.

8 Likes

An old Slovenian dish made of buckwheat. http://www.rodnagruda.si/slovenska_kuhinja/2014060513320210/
Roasted, thain cooked buckwheat flour with a bit of… well its called ocvirki here dont know the english term. Fryed pigs fat tissue. Candy made of a pig :grinning:
Its usualy served with sour or fresh milk, or a mushroom soup.

4 Likes

Krishnan, thanks for the buckwheat information. I enjoyed that. As I understand there are two modern problems with buckwheat. Hard to combine because it tends to blow down. Second, it doesn’t like modern fertilizer.

3 Likes

Hi Jeff,
It’s pretty much as you said. I waited for full development of the seed and cut and dry the whole plants. It’s crucial to have the seed fully dried before trying to grind them. You could make mush. If so, stop and continue drying your seeds until they are much dryer/harder. Then I would whack the plants in a 8" deep 3’ x 3’ box with 1/2" galv screen. Next, I winnowed out the chaff using a fan and collected the seeds. I put the seeds through my C S Bell # 60 Grist Mill and ground to the desired texture (flour like for breads or pancakes). Flour might take several passes. Use a coarser grind for feed stock or bird food. Talk about working for your bread.

This is a CS Bell 20 Grist Mill my wife picked up at an auction for approx $45. They also have a hand wheel driven model instead of the crank. I’m not sure about a pulley drive. They are $175 to $400 on ebay right now.

This is the C S Bell 60 Grist Mill I used for big seeds like Buckwheat, sunflowers etc. I bought it with an extra set of grinder plates and a 12" drive pulley for $127 in 1982. There were none on ebay today.
I’d venture a guess that the C S Bell 60 would garner $700 or more nowadays. I bought this in 1981, how prices and time fly!!! I still have all the operating inst. etc. As far as fertilizer goes, I also used Buckwheat for a grow and till under as a soil amending/building crop. Sow it rather thick, let it get 6"-8" tall. I then would mow it and turn the soil or just till it under and replant my main crop over it.
I haven’t done buckwheat for quite a while, now. I started using winter rye as a cover crop because it grows fast and you can plant it late(after harvesting an area). It germinates above 40 degrees F, will stand light frosts as it breaks ground and it will over winter in -30 F weather. It’s the first green we see in spring. Beautiful in rotations, too. No, I haven’t tried rye flour, yet ::slight_smile:
A 1958 Mark 28 Merc. 22HP in 22 CI, a first! Gear shift on the tiller with the throttle. Needs a water cooler impeller and they are hard to find!. Fresh gas, a shot of starting fluid and she started right up after sitting 4 years. I couldn’t believe it, so I tried it again and again. Mostly just to hear that Merc idle, a real spring tonic, albeit a little late.
Pepe

6 Likes

Been wanting to find something like this for my Wheel Horse.

6 Likes

There was this guy in the Holland, Michigan area talking about some kind of solid fuel system and making people think. He snuck this into a car show!

13 Likes

Sounds like just another smoke and mirrors crack pot looking for easy fat cat grant money…

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

For fertiliser or seeds? l have built a similar thing this spring, only its mounted on a motorised schyte. It was made to seed some alfalfa in the pasture to enrichen it a bit. lt has four “knifes” about 20 cm apart that cut the ground and meter seeds in. I can post some pictures if you like

3 Likes

Hey Don .

You put a smile on our face :relaxed: Keep up the good work .

On another note .

I like my little barn swallows :blush:

This is the 3rd hatching in this one nest this spring.

It has been a long time that I have seen a flying insect or mosquito anywhere around the house :grin:

9 Likes