Life goes on - Summer 2016

Seams there is always something needing fixed. Around here it is most things. I see it is over head valve, what year is that. fords didn’t go overhead until the Jubilee in 53

1 Like

It’s a 1953 ferguson with the standard engine.

1 Like

Was that their first year of the overhead valves as well?

1 Like

I am surprised also, that it has overheads. My 9N was suppose to be a 54 and it is a flat head. TomC

1 Like

My understanding is that they used overhead valves in all the standard engines all the way back to 1947. It was also made with the continental engine which was a flathead ford same as the 9n. Mine was made in England for canada so has the standard engine. Most of the ones in the US seem to have the continental according to Steiner. Anxious to get my parts… Not looking forward to the bill.

1 Like

Hey David. OHV engines were built for the Liberty 12 aircraft for WWI. Chevrolet went from valve in head to OHV in 1955. Luxury cars had it also before Chevy. Back then the power to be gained was in cubic inches and octane increases. Why worry about cylinder head flow?

2 Likes

Tom I am not sure but I was under the impression the Jubilee replaced the N series in 53. I am certainly no expert that is just what I have gathered in my search for a cheap tractor to gasify.

1 Like

Doug I really don’t know enough to rate flathead vs ohv. Ones like mine are very common here Canada being part of the Commonwealth. Fair bit of 8 and 9n’s as well but grandpere was always a ferguson guy and that stuck with me.

1 Like

Doug , not to be argumentative but Chevrolet was using over head valve engines long before 1955. Not sure of the exact date but think back to the stove bolt inline sixes. I think the 216’s go back into the thirtys. In 1955 they did make a change in the motor mount location on the 235’s. There was also a 261 truck engine in this family.

1 Like

Well, both intakes work. But, think of it this way; your running late for work and your normal short route (ohv) is blocked off by a rock slide. So now you have to take a winding detour route (flat head)… Oh yah, your almost out of fuel in your truck, to…

2 Likes

Jim I have never checked the serial number. Just what the previous owner advertised it at. I’m an Farmall man that got a bug in his bonnet that he wanted a Ford with hydraulic 3 point capabilities. Old Farmalls are just a tow bar. TomC

2 Likes

Yes Tom it is the lack of the 3 point that has kept me clear of the old m’s and h’s that seem to be plentiful and cheap in these parts. The truth is I don’t even need a tractor I just want one.

3 Likes

I have seen retro 3 point setups on drawbar tractors but you do need aux hydraulics which some of them did not have.

3 Likes

Mr. Max and our friends in Finland had a get together this last weekend also. Maybe we will get some pictures and details of their jamboree.

7 Likes

I spotted this beastly '55 Chevy at the hardware store.

3 Likes

I also fell down part of my stairs this morning. Slipper slipped out from under me and I did a “cartoon banana peel slip” and landed on my shoulder/back on the stairs behind me.

We’re pretty sure that I didn’t damage my spine or kidneys, bash my head, or break any bones but pretty beat up otherwise. :confused:

Sorry to hear that Brian. Is that why they call them SLIPPERS?

5 Likes

Hey Brian,
Ouch, man! I burned mine after a minor slip on a level wood floor. Landed smack dab on my derriere, luckily didn’t land on my tail bone. Hope you’re well.
What a beauty, 55 Chevy with dual exhaust undoubtedly had a 265 ci v8 engine with 162 hp (first year v8’s available, I believe).
Pepe

2 Likes

The emerald ash borer keeps on giving to me for many years. This is part of 3 loads and then that same donor gave me a month old seized up engine generac. We both came out ahead.

7 Likes

Sweet.

I have been doing a little research on how to use the gen-heads out of old generators whose motors are too far gone to repair.

From what I gather, most of these have a tapered shaft arrangement between the motor and the generator.

So, if you want to remove the gen-head and convert it to belt drive or something, you have to come up with some way of converting the tapered shaft arrangement. The easiest way to do this is to remove the crankshaft from the damaged engine and stick it in the gen-head since it already has the correct taper on it. Then, you can just adapt it to whatever you like.

2 Likes