Life goes on - Summer 2016

Brian, I know how you feel. It’s always something.

1 Like

The lucky thing is that my source is my uncle that repairs small engines as a retirement. He gets and dumps these for approximately two bucks a piece as scrap 2 or 3 times a year. I asked for a courtesy call as each one comes available in the future. No problem.

3 Likes

I have a burned up engine generator that I bought cheap for just that purpose. My thinking to put a larger engine to compensate for the power loss of wg.
Mine is Honda. My plan was and is to cut off the crankshaft and machine down to fit a pulley or coupling. Use the side cover of engine with bearing and bolt to generator head as before. the gen head has a bearing on the outboard end.

6 Likes

Garden is moving right along. We had a high of 32c today… I don’t know how you guys do it! Garden and greenhouse pics for those interested… peas climbing a trellis, radishes all done, arugula going to seed all in the greenhouse

Cucumbers out with new welded trellises trying out some soaker hose on them.

Potatoes squash and leeks in the background all in the outside beds. Greenhouse behind

Still too early for these guys; outside tomatoes for transplant

8 Likes

Argos got me a little behind on hay cutting but have been going wide open today trying to catch up.

Free hay filter material to anyone that wants it :relaxed:

2 Likes

Lucky you. It has been so dry here that the hay couldn’t keep of with the weeds. Now we got rain and the hay is loving it, but we can get it dry to bale. The big boys just cut it and chop it and pack it on the ground in piles and cover the piles with plastic all in one day. Dam they take the work right out of making hay.TomC ( Thanks to the doctors, I don’t get to play that game any longer )

2 Likes

I have a beaver trap full of turtle :confused: How do I get him out ?

Very carefully , I don’t need short fingers :grin:

To be honest, when I am wading around in the beaver pond waist deep I never even think about my fingers :worried:

6 Likes

Beside having jaws of iron, he has some pretty nasty looking claws. Never knew that about turtles. TomC

1 Like

Few years ago a turtle would get some sun by setting on one of the logs I had in the pond. Didn’t see him in a few years but now I see a smaller one in there. :grin: I hear they make nice soup.

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom .

The old timers claim once the turtle bits it will not release until it thunders . With the fair weather we have been having I don’t want to get too close :grin:

3 Likes

Jeff
I had turtle back in my teens (roasted)
I remember it being rather tastey there are some here that hunt for them

2 Likes

If you need to catch those turtles you should give this guy a call.

4 Likes

When I was a youngster a snapper eat my duck. They pull them under the water to drown them then drag them on shore to eat them. Dang turtles were eating the bass too or so we thought. So dad called the local turtle man. He didn’t jump in the pond but had a wood block with a big bated hook and that was attached to a rope. Pulled out about half a dozen that summer. Their eggs are like leather gulf balls if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Good morning Don and thanks for the video .

If society ever fails he may eat while others starve , thus dominating the gene pool . Very scary !

A few years back a guy came over and got in my creek and did about the same as in the video. .

The only difference this guy had VERY much help from Jack Daniel and George Dickels :grinning:

5 Likes

The more I hear in the news about the Zika virus the more I like my little birds .

No flies or mosquitoes ( almost )

The little ones can come right of the nest and fly like a pro :blush:

8 Likes

we call them barn swallows here, very use full wherever they nest.

3 Likes

Now if I can keep my wife from knocking down their nests. She just doesn’t get it.
What’s wrong with a little bird poop?. You can compost it. Loved these critters since my teens when one almost knocked my cap off when I got too close to the babies. Man can they fly!!

2 Likes

Yes Tom those mud nests are all around my place even on the lights in the shop. But I’m with you guys, as long as they eat their weight in bugs each day, I’ll put up with there nests TomC

2 Likes

I must have the wrong kind of birds here. The birds here are robin me of my blueberries, robin me of my raspberries, robin me of my strawberries and robin me of my seeds. I also have mosquitos the size of humming birds and are they thick around dusk.

6 Likes

Jim you live too close to Canada. In Canada the mosquitos are big enough to eat the swallows instead ov the other way around. TomC

6 Likes