Life goes on - Summer 2017

Up here we’re enduring a heat index of 72°F. So the wife and I put the boat on the lake. I caught the first fish. Hahaha

12 Likes

Thanks Dan .

If you have smooth ground and light weeds or grass you can put the tractor in a go fast gear and really make a showing .

The farmer I bought it from said he could cut a hundred acres a day . ( His days may have been longer than mine , smoother ground and less grass . ) :relaxed:

4 Likes

Well my 40 hp tractor can only handle my 5 foot brush hog in first gear trying to clean up these old fields so you can guess what a mess they are. Actually I finally made the first pass over all of them so hopefully now I can use my field mower. I have been told if I mow them twice a year for a couple of years most of the weeds will be gone and I can get hay off them. Right now they are loaded with weeds. It was in a wetlands program for about 30 years mowed every other year.
But man that thing looks cool I would love to have something like that to rub behind my 100hp case it must be soo cool to see it clear so much ground in a single pass.

Hi bill nice fishing spot, is that lake close too your new home.?

1 Like

It’s one of them Kevin. We have at least a dozen within a half hour from us including Lake Superior.
We have a Trout stream a mile away from us too.

3 Likes

Butyfull place!
Is it alowed to use a motor on the boat in Norway? Here it isnt…

Bill, nice looking perges too :wink:

2 Likes

Motor isn’t allowed at all ???
I’ve never heard of a place where motor isn’t allowed in any Nordic country. Even if it wasn’t allowed there are more lakes and rivers than people up here so it would be impossible to check up on all of them.

2 Likes

You were right about the trip but we were only able to catch about 10-20 fish per person in the entire week this year. Bad timing I guess. Their stomaches were packed with food already and they were not very eager to bite. In a normal year we would catch 10 times that amount and eat char and trout twice a week all year.

1 Like

No petrol engines on any fresh water here. Same for most european countrys l have been to. Just batery power.

2 Likes

We have an area just North of us called the Boundary Waters Canoe Area where no motors are allowed.

1 Like

Yeah, it makes little difference whether it’s raining or not. Moisture saturation is about the same. But with the rain, folks tend to smell a little better. :relaxed: It’s raining again now. :umbrella: Not quite as hot… back to work. At least we’re in the shop today…about to finish our second barn for the day…

We have a nice big lake here too. I’ll try to get some pics of that sometime…Called Wedowee. Creek Indian word for "water, land, water. or “land between the waters”…:droplet:

Bill, My wife always catches the bigger ones, too :confused:
Next time maybe.

3 Likes

Yes here in the state of Washington many, many small lakes are no internal combustion engines allowed anymore. Paddle. Row. Sail. Or, battery electric only. And they do check here following the sound.
All larger lakes river were supposed to be converted to only four-stroke engines back in 2006-08. That seems to have gotten war-distracted and econ-collaped lost for a bit so far. Will go through soon now any year.
Why the wife and I canoe in our Wenonan “Fisherman” 16.
Tree-Farmer Steve Unruh

3 Likes
8 Likes

WOW !! Grass and weeds really growing.

I finished cutting over my hay fields earlier in the week but had to start back cutting this morning .

Also running a lot of wood through the ole work truck with trips back and forth and hauling equipment :relaxed:

8 Likes

Thought I would try a small garden experiment with one of Bruce’s pumpkins. Yes, no time for garden this year.

3 Likes

Let us know how and if the punkin will climb the wire arbor. I have an arbor made out of wooden poles and punkins don’t like it I have to do alot of work to get then up it. The punkin and squash hanging give you prefect shapes. I raise pie punkins like that and butter nut and butter cup squash.

2 Likes

Will do Dan. The next day a few of their little tentacles were wrapped around the wire. Interesting how they can do that. Only time will tell. Interesting about your wood experience. I know they cling to tall weeds and a weed stem is a bit like wire.

I hope this works. It would be nice to focus on vine food on the trellis and plants like dandelions and crab grass on the ground and any weeds for compost.

If the experiment shows some promise I’ll start an off topic thread (or what ever it is called).

I have a foot of some kind of wood vine and that piece is hard wood to say the least. I wonder if some kind of vine would make good fuel ?

3 Likes

Yesterday I started building a hoop style green house with cattle panels like you have for your pumpkins. A neighbor up here has one he made years ago. Pictures to follow.

6 Likes

It’s been busy around here between work and play.

Thank goodness for my neighbor Wayne, without him, this would have been a much bigger job. Electrics for both the deck and bridge are run but not finished. Working on lighting still. Intake for the sprinklers/drip system is done. Next is the manifold for the pump.

14 Likes