Life goes on - Summer 2017

awsum!
That is a beautiful fishing bridge!

2 Likes

I second what mike gibb says, and a fine work of art you have going too gether.Nothing like home made, and fish farming should be fun, healthy,sustainable.

2 Likes

Thanks,

That is part of the plan. It was dug too deep and wouldn’t hold water very well. It’s over twelve years old now and hasn’t sealed. Well, we’ve fixed that for a time and I plan on stocking it with some bass when fills again. We will get catfish and minnows naturally, so I want to make bass dominant before the catfish take. I’ve been talking with a pond place about stocking it with some healthy aquatic plants for the fish. I’ll update you when we get there. We have had three weddings at our house in the last two years since we built the metal building. We are going to put a deck, gazebo, and waterfall on the side of the pond so we can get some side income. The waterfall will just be some boulders with piping hooked to my sprinkler pump’s manifold.

1 Like

too deep ? I have never heard that before it must be a texas thing Jason . nice bridge you have built there

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s great because of my neighbor. He’s a real good guy. He has one of Matt’s little gasifiers.

They dug past the clay and hit the sand and the first water table. We’re only 168’ elevation.

1 Like

that’s a good neighbor to have . interesting on your water table up here that is not an issue if your pond or well are close to dry just go deeper . you will have more water on the good years.

1 Like

You gave me some ideas for my pond thanks! Looks great!

Duckweed is good for plant eating fish. Grows fast and is wery nutritional.

2 Likes

We have had some good farming weather the last several days and have been taking advantage of it. I have work the ole wood burner all last weekend and this week with a real good workout today. I ran 12 -14 bags of wood through it just today ( 12-15 pounds per bag )

BBBIMG_0201-001IMG_0202IMG_0206

12 Likes

Thanks for the vidios Wayne K , and the nice book of (HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL) I have the book and the truck too drive on wood working great. I would have never got this done this well with out all the vidios for proff of Quallity Machine. Lord bless you with plenty of food for the cattle, and your gasifier steamers.

4 Likes

The 3rd picture shows a happy farmer!

You have truly created most of your world and helped many of us with ours

5 Likes

Had a little storm come through today. I stopped and took some pictures an hour after it moved through.

5 Likes

How big of hit did your garden take:confused:

Hey Tom, I was at the salvage yard 10 miles south of home saw very dark sky’s to the north. Just a quick shower there. One mile south of my home on tool of the hill I couldn’t believe it. It was piled on she sides of the road like snow Banks up to 6" deep. Another mile north at my house no sign ot any hail just a good rain, no damages.

2 Likes

I got a start on the cattle panel greenhouse. It is 10’x 20’. I’m not sure how I’m going to do the ends yet.
It’s been raining all day so the project is on hold. Today I get to watch one of my grandsons while his Mom and Dad go to the International Wolf Center.

15 Likes

It looks nice! The cattle fence is a great idea! … I would personally make the ends so you can drive through with the lawn tractor.

It is a lot nicer then pvc with tent stakes anchoring it and it might hold up to all the snow as a cold house.

3 Likes

2 days of camping, eating, and airplane and people watching at EASTSOUND airport in the San Juan islands

10 Likes

Hi Tom,
I see you have the same problem I had with the Emoji punctuation. When you finish a sentence add another blank space, then choose your emoji character.
Pepe

1 Like

Hi Michael,
Darn, I envy you hanging around planes. I can only presume that’s your baby behind you. I have a couple hundred hours in a 172, but ran out of play money and haven’t flown in several years.
Pepe

Thanks Pepe :smile: plus 11 characters

Hey BillS, I’ve built two chicken-run hoop enclosures butted up to the former garden shed, now chicken house. Needed the top coverage for the hawks and owls protection. I made mine 8 feet wide, ending up ~6 feet+ in the center. Four panels side to side long. As a chicken preditor protector I ditched in the lower edges 12 inches on the sides. One is covered with soldered wire 1/2"x2" mesh. Expensive but stiffned up well! The other covered with 1" woven chicken wire. Pita to hog-ring all of that floppily mesh. And a bit wobbly assembly.
How you do the ends will determine the overall rigidity of the unit.

For me it was two long T-posts pounded in and wired on to form the doors frames. Filled out to the edges with cut down 1/2"x2" soldered jointed panels. The cut ends; one by one wrapped around the end cattle panel hoop rod.
I used a lot of tempered electrical fencing wire as joints wrapping on the one.
The other I used 8" aluminum chain-link fencing stays as joints wrapping. MUCH easier.

Yes. And has done fine with up to 24" of wet heavy PNW snow loading.

Green house most just plywood the ends.
I needed to be able to see-trough. Shoot through for lurking coyotes.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes