Life goes on - Summer 2017

Thanks for the info Steve.
My plan is to attach some garden boxes I pulled out of my other garden to the walls inside this greenhouse. With them full of dirt I am hoping to firm up the walls on the inside. I will put up to 2’ of dirt on the outside walls to keep them from bowing out.
I plan on framing up the ends allowing the plastic to roll up on the warmer days.
It seems I will need to brace halfway down the long side to keep the walls up at a 90 degree angle.

5 Likes

Thanks Pepe
That is a 1969 Cessna 172 and just like DOW it has allowed me to meet some really nice folks

3 Likes

Harvesting season.
Brought wife and dogs for a walk in the woods. Or should I say wife brought dogs and me.
Anyway, end result was a gallon of raspberries and a couple baskets of chanterelles. Guess which basket is mine. Hint, one of us like to check out fuel and timber supply.

9 Likes

About every 3 days I am their eyes…

7 Likes

If you keep poking the plant back to the north side they will probably grow back south chasing the sun. I have used that trick before to help train plants.

3 Likes

Today just became interesting…

root rot

2 Likes

I was about to ask if anyone wanted to trade jobs for the day and then I saw Jason’s tree picture :cry:

IMG_0203

Some of the bolts heads were wore off and had to weld a decent head on before I could remove .

IMG_0204IMG_0205IMG_0215

6 Likes

Hard to tell for a non-farmer. What kind of aquipment are you fixing?
What I did catch however, was all the perfect rebak-gears in the last picture :smile:

3 Likes

Hay Rake??
Plus 20 characters…

1 Like

Rotary sickle mower drive?
How many trips to town for parts you forgot the first time?

2 Likes

It is always at least 3 for me… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello JO

It is a disc mower for cutting hay , Kuhn is the name brand .

I haven’t figured how to disassemble all of it yet and it is about to whip me .

The blade tips travel at about 175 mph and does a good job if it is running right .

6 Likes

Hot, hot and dry, dry here in the PNW “wetside”
54 day now with no rain.
Most of these days 90F+
It has turned very brown, dry and crunchy.
Too many days now with less than one mile visibility due to Canadian and eastern WA and OR wild fires.
Nearst city-city to me is now ordered voluntary water rationing.
Like here they use deep well aquifer public water. Wells draw down are getting scary.
My hand water canning this year will be what saves my garden from a mandatory commanded no-watering allowed.
No overhead watering sprinkling been done by me this year. (ground hoses sneeked nightly now out to the fruit trees to keep them alive)
Ha! 1967 Was the record dry year here at 71 days no rain.
After that was the when our own private well was deepened from 100" to 198’.
The one I can no longer legally use. Do I sound bitter?

“And this too shall pass”
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

Jason
What kind of tree was this and are other species at risk to this?
After looking close at pic 2 I have to ask. Are your Christmas lights still on your porch? :grin::

Mine are

Wow Steve! didn’t know Wash. st. even had droughts. Every time I been there in summer it rained every day.

That was a pin oak tree. Taking the one right next to it down today. We have a bunch of trees wrapped in the yard and the house strung with lights for parties and meetings we do here at the house. I’d say the yard is lit up every other month. The hurricane knocked a bunch of tops off our trees years ago, I took out 36 trees then. We have very clay heavy soil here and a very shallow water table. I blame bad yard work for pushing the mulch all the way up to the tree. Learned something yesterday.

I’ll take the fuel and mulch over that welding and engine work Wayne :wink:

1 Like

better you than me wayne. I just finished resealing the hydraulics on a big vermeer chipper. I would probably have traded you for that…

I was in TN for a wedding Saturday. I came across these rolls of plastic. The stuff can’t be ripped by hand. It’s really tough and thick and stretchy. It’s UV rated too. It comes from huge grain storage bags, basically a silo laying down. Some of them are 600 feet long & 65 feet diameter. These are cut into 36’ x 300’ rolls. The seller promises 30 x 150 in each roll. you can get all you want for $50.00 a roll. I am going to use some to winter one of the gardens this year instead of cover crop. I need to get rid of some invasive weeds. Also going to use it for vapor barrier under concrete for the new min barn shop. I have a friend in TN that used it for a pond liner…If anyone wants info I can let you know where to get it.
The rolls weigh about 475 lbs.That’s a guess. I got two on the back of my Dakota. only draw back is that they have to be rinsed off. They smell like used mash from the whiskey still. My buggy wheel is leaning against one for size reference…It’s in a place called Coble, TN. Home to nothing except this plastic and the Coble Country Store…a little hole in the wall general store with a bar and a stage where all of the greats from Nashville played for fun before they made it big (and after)…We used to live in the Amish community 7 miles down the road…

4 Likes

Billy, if they did not have holes in them you could have a nice gas bag ! ! I remember reading an article of a man doing that with wood gas. He set it up vertically. Had a wood skeleton around the bag.

Cheers.

Interesting article.

6 Likes