Life goes on - Summer 2017

The Chetco-Bar fire is about 12 miles from my place In Mytle Point, Or. They expect containment by October 15. Several years ago, the Awbry-Hall fire burned 15 miles and stopped at my fence line. I was cutting firebreaks and up-trimming trees the whole day. The fire came on the wind and was crowning through the tops. About 100 yards before it got to us , at 2.45 A.M. the wind fell off. The fire isn’t all that important.
It’s the wind.
There is a fire to both the north and the south of my place in Bend, Or.

Our locan fire in La Tuna cyn has burned about 6,000 acres.
British Columbia now has about 650 fires. Montana has burned about 650,000 acres.
In the '80s, I was in a fire in B.C /Yukon that was claimed to be 10,000 sq. miles.

Re: cement. I bought the book on Roman concrete. Modern concrete is garbage. The Parthenon has stood for many centuries. Parts of the breakwater in Tiberius are still intact after 2,000 years. Modern breakwater concrete lasts about 50 years. The book has every last detail about producing Roman Concrete.

5 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:Nothin to shiver about. Mostly, snakes like to stay away from people. But that is a pretty good sized timber rattler Wayne has there. It is the worst time of year for them here. They tend to get more aggressive in July and August it seems.

contrary to common understanding, they don’t actually taste like chicken. They taste like snakes. A white meat cross between a frog, a beaver and a lizard I’d say.

Rescue Squad meeting tonight…gearing up for south Alabama to look like Houston. Expecting a big call out next week…I hope not, too much to do…Steve, do you need some of this water? William?

4 Likes

If only we could figure out how to divert that water to those fires…
Man this hurricane season scares me this next storm sounds really bad and there is a 3rd tropical storm building now. I don’t remember seeing 2 storms this big come in just weeks apart. I hope the emergency services are up to handling another storm comming in so soon.
Hopefully everyone is safe out there both with the fires out west and the storms down south.

I have been working on harvesting the garden. I put up 14 meals worth of brocoli so far and more will come over the next month or two. 62 quarts of beans and enough pizza sauce to make pizza every other week. So I am getting started. I have beats krobri and rutabaga all ready for harvesting. Also need to harvest swiss chard stems they freeze well.

4 Likes

I’m surprised by the early frost. We have a risk of frost tonight, which is still a bit early, historically frost free from May 20th to Sept 15th. But high hours of daylight in between, being more northerly, thus more productive. In the last 20 years the growing season seems to be getting longer. But it doesn’t take long for a good wind blowing from the north to bring down truly cold air, as is the present case. Last look at the temperatures seems to indicate possible light frost, or maybe none at all, then warmer temperatures into next week. Fingers crossed for my tomatoes and peppers up north… :slight_smile:

Smoky here these days, northerly wind is blowing down smoke from fires in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan. It was too hot and definitely too dry in the boreal forests this year. Parts of farmland in Saskatchewan are seeing the worst drought in 135 years of recorded weather. Drought set in here at the beginning of August, but soil moisture carried crops along, and most crops are mature by mid to late August.

1 Like

All of last week was unseasonably cold felt like late fall not late summer. I sort of put that frost we had in the freak category. It is warmer here this week. I probably could have left the tomatoes out there and but as I can all my own tomatoe products I wasn’t about to risk the entire crop. Ironically the tomatoe plants look fine the squash patch only took spot hits probably one of my squash species is more sensitive to frost damage then anything else in the garden.
But yes the weather has been weird this year. I hope we don’t get a desperate cold winter but if the year continues in the same vane here it will be very cold and tons of snow a true old fashioned winter. That is one reason driving me to get my pasquali restored a 4wd tractor is soo much more useful when removing snow.

3 Likes

There is some talk about a long cold winter, i guess we will see. I shudder to think about the possibility of heavy snow, given aĺl the freak precipitation that has been falling in places. Considering that an inch of rain could be 10" of snow. Our way of life just couldn’t function with even historical snow events, people need clear roads for everything, no appreciable stores of food at home, everything dependent on electricity anyways, and the people one or two generations away now from the basic skills to make do.

That frost sounds like a real anomaly and inconvenience. We seem to have squeaked through, more cloud cover than originally forecast. For light frost I find large tarps to be invaluable, they are so cheap and easy to cover, 2 could be laced together to protect a pretty large garden. But once the weather really turns no option but to pick and salvage.

2 Likes

Important for us to accept that weather is the way that our planet balances the very unequal sun falling energy.
More energy to re-balance. The more active the weather.
Local/regional yes we need rain badly. Only two percipation days in the last 70. And those, too shy by far.
Late summer drought is an expected normal.
I was very surprised to learn that the Amazon basin and SE Asia does this same thing.
All of these areas with the high amounts of green-mass growing. Then annual drought tinder dry. Fast traveling tree top jumping wind driven wildfires are killers.
This Columbia River Gorge one has traveled 15 mile in 1 1/2 days. Winds driven ridge-top to ridge-top. “only” 30,000 acres does not make national news.
Those 30,000 acres about 25% of the forested view-able National Scenic Area attracting visitors from world around.
2-3 days to destroy. 3 months to fall-rains completely put out. 150-300 years to restore.
And this one all because of a fifteen year old kid loving his fireworks, stunting for his buds. Nothing “Natural” about that imho.
Sigh.
Tree-farmer Steve Unruh

4 Likes

They say we have timber rattlers here in Michigan too but I have never seen one .Don’t know if they are the same thing as the one that Wayne got. Sure hope south Alabama gets missed by this hurricane. We stayed in a senior RV park between Magnolia Springs and Fair Hope 9 or 10 years in a row and we still have a fondness for that area.Well best of luck to you all down there.

7 Likes

Ironically you talking about snakes and flooding just gave me this visual if snakes swimming around in the flood water all over the place now I really don’t want to think about what you will find going in to clean up…
Everyone in the storms paths please keep yourself safe.

4 Likes

I just found out about CO2 generators for greenhouses for enhanced plant growth. I never knew they even existed until I got an inquiry about the permitting process for them. I wonder how much heat they produce because that would be a double benifit.
http://growgreenmi.com/titan-controls-ares-2-two-burner-lp-co2-generator?gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1mFoTlE2Bbh_zR_pobL4FfZ67if9VXGBsd06o4q6vrJLuwWM5DP2GhoCClwQAvD_BwE

3 Likes

I’m confused. Isn’t it CO2 that they claim is causing climate change? TomC

2 Likes

Yes CO2 causes climate change. There is a group in Europe I think maybe Sweeden but I don’t remember for sure that collects CO2 from the air and concentrates it them pumps it into green houses to “increase” growth and sequester the CO2 from the atmosphere into the plants. I think the process is a load of horse hockey. Use too much energy to collect the CO2. But their target market is to grow plants inside the city in a factory type setting claiming they can grow plants in places where you wouldn’t have forests or farms and this help the environment. I say just plant more trees and gardens and alow the plants to collect the CO2 as nature intended.

Here is an artical on the topic if anyone is interested. Man I hope that doesn’t open a can of worms.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t just openly burning a clean fuel like ethanol be a simpler solution for a greenhouse. Heat and CO2 + H2O for exhaust.
Maybe even woodgas would be clean enough. A little soot for nutrition :smile:

Edit: Ops, looking at that machine again. That is in fact just a burner.

3 Likes

If it is economically valid (energy budget wise) to remove CO2 from the air with a machine/ process and use the CO2 for a profitable purpose, why not do it? It is kinda like wood-gas on a shorter turnaround, but using more energy to speed up the result! :thinking:

1 Like

I really hesitate to post this here but there are some really good scientific arguments against this theory in this documentary. I don’t want to start a lengthy discussion about this here but I think everyone should realize the other side that the media and politicians don’t want us to know.

7 Likes

Don I don’t want to start a fight but that video has been debunked as propaganda more then once.

2 Likes

Mike if it was economical I would agree. But from what I have read they use an insane amount of electricity compared to the increase in plant growth. I have to believe that electricity could go to better usage then just acceleration of crop growth. I think a second floor and led lights would probably be more cost effective. Now running your genorator exaust into your greenhouse and running your genorator on wood gas so there isn’t nasty stuff in the smoke that sounds like a win win.

2 Likes

Worms? Worms? Soils enriches. Excellent chicken critter food. Good for fishing. Good needs-must eat-direct survival food.

MikeR human activity atmospheric CO2 capturing for any reason is really about the needed overall energy inputs versus the benefits the CO2 “concentrates” are put to. Make dry ice from atmospheric CO2?. Aint’ta 'gonna happen. No one could afford it.
This is the same for virtually everything.
Proven we could ocean water “mine” for many of the minerals like gold, copper and such. But at the very high energy inputs and system complexities costs ANY grade of land based ores is much more affordable doable.
Just reading and article that the original iron ore finds were only human/animal/wood charcoal doable if 15%+ grade ores. Add in fossil coal for the process energy input allowed going down to lower 7-12% iron ore recovery. ONLY now with lots and lots of liquid Dino, and lots and lots of complex high energy processing steps do we now use very, very low grade taconite ores.
Hydraulic fracturing for natural gas, petroleum and now uranium “mining” takes huge amounts of Big-Grid power (coal/nuke). And/or a huge input of the very same Dino recovered. Diminishing Returns is biting down hard, hard.

Now put all for those millions/billions/trillions of wanna’grow tree’s and bushes cells to work. They will happily live-work recovering, concentrating and storing the atmosphere CO2 in these very low few hundreds of PPM concentrations levels. Give oxygen release, habitat/foods, soil stabilization and more just a matter of course living, and being themselves.
Take your 33% trunk/stem-large limbs harvest. Use that to heat and CO2 enrich in the foods growing greenhouse. That burning quick released carbons then recycled back directly into some greens-growing; and some back into the atmosphere. For tree/bush re-growth. Grow, sustainability harvest, and repeat.
The other 66% of tree/bush growth properly left to 'MaNature in the leaf/needles, small limbs/twigs and tops ends; and in-the ground trunk and roots system works over decades soil-foods enhancing and s-l-o-w-l-y decay carbons released.

The difference is man arrogantly trying to force things. Make things happen at the pace of HIS demanded cultures.
Versus man accepting him/herself as a part of nature, and using nature, and natural forces. And this is the direction human generational living/thinking should turn back to.

TREE-FARMER Steve Unruh

7 Likes

I stand by my post. It is possible the manufacturers may never publish the true energy budget of mechanical CO2 recovery devices.

1 Like

I’m just a simple person and can’t delve too deep into anything, so I just go back to what has been stated and accepted, that the Great Lakes around which I live were formed by glacial movement several thousand years ago, when this entire country was covered by ice. Since then, the atmosphere has warmed and the ice has receded back to where it only exist at the two pole regions. So why would I NOT believe in global warming? But other than a lot of propaganda, why would I believe it is man made? Man has only been active on this continent since some time after 1492. TomC Thanks Don Mannes for posting. Must have taken you a long time to down load that video. Hehe!!