Life goes on - Summer 2017

Scoop up all the worms and put them back in the can.

Next topic.

4 Likes

Ahh, forum warming for sure ! ! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Good catch Chris I would have started typing any second!!!

I made 12 quarts of spaghetti sauce today. One didn’t seal so I was forced to cook with it tonight. Man I forgot how good the home made source is. I ran out last year because my garden was lost to weeds last summer. I use the ball canning cookbook I can’t recommend that book enough.
I also made 11 pints of uncooked relish. That is an old family recipe my grandmother found somwhere. It is one of my favorite because the vegetables are still crunchy when you eat it. Can’t wait to use some of that. I still have alot more green tomatoes to ripen.

9 Likes

I knew a guy who made quite a bit of profit the ilegal way, planting and selling marihuana. He sayd the best possible place to grow is inside the highway fence. Noone ever looks and the extra CO2 boosts growth.
I am planing to make a CO2 generator for my greenhouse too. Problem is stright woodgas burning (original plan) wuld be problematic becouse of the H2O produced, so l decided to make the heater indirect, a sort of a charcoal retort, use exess heat gor heating and use some charcoal produced to slowly burn openly in the greenhouse, the rest l will use in a gasifier :slight_smile:

Has anyone got a info on what concentration of CO2 is optimal for plants?

1 Like

I don’t know how much CO2 you want but be very careful you don’t get CO in the closed space. I would put some detectors in for that carbon monoxide kills humans.
I know we all know that here but it is worth repeating when taking about a closed space.

1 Like

Thanks Andy, Love making and burning those pieces of charcoal!
Gary in PA

1 Like

Hi Tom,

its to much Co2 that is causing the climate change…

but, if you use a gasifier … ( Co2 gets converted into ? )

3 Likes

Anyhow, to all those in the path of the upcoming hurricane IRMA, be careful and seek shelter.

Worried for you guy’s

5 Likes

I’ve been able to rely on the solar panels for hot water and house heating until a week ago. Then I started to light a few stickers in the kitchen woodstove now and then. With cloudy weather and rain for a couple of days I fired up the boiler today, for the first time since April. Forcing a lot of accumulated moisture outof the basement and the brick chimney. Fall is here for sure.
Wife calls her (the boiler) my mistress. Gets the most attention, she says. Truth is I like sitting by the boiler reading in wintertime. She thinks I’m doing maintenace or “wood sweating” :smile:

9 Likes

I hope you knock over a block of wood once in a while to keep the illusion up.

2 Likes

That’s funny Jan. I too look forward to lighting up the wood stove. There’s something about the radiant heat that’s comforting to me. We’ve had to run ours for the past week or so. We had frost on the car windows yesterday morning. I’ve only had to fire it up once in the morning and once at night. This upcoming week we’ll be back in the 70’s so the stove will get a break.

3 Likes

Rather than focus on the weather here on Earth, we all need to look at the weather on the sun. YES, our magnetic field is weakening. Watch this vid carefully. Ben Davidson and Suspicious Observers have catalogued the definitive connection between solar flares, coronal holes and Terrestrial storms.

Because our magnetic field is weakening, Earth can no longer protect us from M-class flares. Previously, it took an X-class flare to disrupt our weather signifigantly. The linkage is indisputable.
Earth’s Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Nowhttps://www.livescience.com › Planet Earth

We live and die by the whims of Mother Nature. Miami is expected to get tide + storm surge for a total of 32 feet at high water.
We are IN the Pleistocene Ice Age during one of the brief warm periods.

Climate change is a constant here.
It is theorized that our magnetic field is weakening in preparation for a pole shift. Regardless of all the hoopla, we must all be prepared to survive weakening protection and increasing storm activity.
Suspicious Observers has an app that notifies people of impending disaster. YES, they did predict the Mexico earthquake.
There are 3 hurricanes working their way north. It is obvious that many people waited until it was too late. Same for Houston. If you pay attention to space weather, you will have more time for preparation. Katia and Jose may turn west and knock out more refinery capacity in Louisiana. It remains to be seen.

3 Likes

Thank you William for posting this information. Many contributors to this driveonwood forum are also concerned with long and short term availability of traditional energy resources. It seems appropriate to me to discuss factors that effect those resources here, especially in an off-topic thread. Space weather is a very significant part of our planetary weather on Earth. Ben Davidson at Suspicious 0bservers does a great and reliable job of reporting on space weather daily. You can learn at lot at his website:

http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/

1 Like

Mike, you’re correct. It is off-topic. BUT, energy, electrical power and transportation are the CENTRAL topic for any DOW members in the deep south. A lot of people with be without grid power for months to come. The solar panels are blown away. The wind-gens are in orbit somewhere. All that’s left is miles of wood debris :slight_smile:
Just who has the money to rebuild? America Can't Afford to Rebuild - The Automatic Earth

4 Likes

and no gasoline…

4 Likes

Those folks are in for a terrible time. It could be months of grid down. Now warnings all the way up to Alabama, i hear. Its a disaster that more distributed power isn’t deployed. Steve U has seen this coming, but disaster grid down could take many forms.

Still feel better being in the frozen north over all, and plenty of wood around…

6 Likes

Simple wood splitter
Very easy to use
Even on a small tractor

8 Likes

Glad I got here late. Was Fighting strong temptations myself, while wondering where Chris’s post was going to pop up. Big topic.Easy to fight about.

Irma is here. At least her water. Wind is starting. My family all survived her in FLorida. Pompano Beach, Ft Myers, Sarasota, St Pete, Tampa, Inverness, Tallahassee. They all got hit. The eye is heading directly at us at the moment. Later tonight we’re expecting the wind. But she has calmed down a lot being over land for so long. Shouldn’t be near as bad as the last hurricane we had to stray this far north into Alabama = Opal.
Kinda strange. Last week my wife’s family got hit in Houston TX. This week it’s my family in Florida. Funny thing is they were all heading here to escape until the storm turned toward us and then they headed to SOuth Carolina or back home. A lot of South Floridians were evacuating northward when the storm caught up with them and passed them up, so they turned around.

Wayne, I expect it will pass a little to the east of ya’ll. At least on that side you are a little safer from tornadoes. Right now they say it is vector-ed between Auburn and Gadsden through Anniston and my front yard. :droplet::disappointed_relieved: We’ll see what happens about midnight. I am expecting to be called up for rescue squad or fire dept.

6 Likes

CORRECTION:

Actually, I just checked the Irma track a minute ago. It has shifted westward again. Looks like We will be a few miles to the east of center as will Wayne. That’s usually the worst place for tornadoes, but Irma has not been producing many of those… Winds are getting a lot worse already. It’s 1:30 pm. Still not too much to worry about. The wind speeds have calmed down quite a bit.

1 Like