Life goes on - Summer 2017

no thanks. i’ll take the storm…haha

1 Like

Wow keep safe. As for my vote I will take cold over those storms I can always put another log in the stove or a warm coat on. Those photos from the storm path look alot worse to me…
That reminds me if I don’t get out to that wood pile soon it will be keeping me warm with the chainsaw this winter…

On a lighter note I picked elderberries today and noticed my cucumber vines where all dieing so I picked a big bucket of cucumbers guess I have to find something to do with those now… There will be hay to rake and bale in morning it is almost ready now… Man life is busy in the fall. Maybe sometime I can get to that pasquali which is now all over my shop in parts… oh and I have to setup my sawmill this fall because the loggers will be cutting wood to fix my barn as part of the wood lot cut this year…

6 Likes

Hey Billy ,

It has been raining horizontal all day .

5 Likes

pretty calm now. still some light rain. but it looks like it’s all past. It’s headed off to Mississippi I suppose. Mostly Just rain now. Thanks all for your prayers etc…

7 Likes

Hello Billy .

Irma was kind to us also .

13 Likes

The calf looks kind of like me in the morning headed for the breakfast table. When you are young and then again when you get old, it takes a little time to get your wheels under you. TomC

8 Likes

Hahaha, for some reason I get really funny looking pictures in my head :smile: I’m sorry.
Edit: Mr Wayne, I don’t know wether that is boy or a girl or if you give your calfs names at all. Anyway, may I suggest Irma for a girl and Mr Collins for a boy :smile:

4 Likes

Hello JO

We will call the calf Mr. Tom because I think it is a bull :grinning:

Also putting a lot of miles down while it is raining . This afternoon I had running around to do in the dakota and this morning the V-10 .

BBB

6 Likes

Strange thing these pumpkin plants are. I put up two more hoops just for an experiment. Yes, no problem getting two more pumpkins to call a hoop home. The kicker is that any, I think three, pumpkin near by heads straight for one of the hoops. How can that be ? ?

1 Like

they like the light in that direction maybe

Maybe. I just don’t know. At this point I would not rule anything out. It could be a coinsidence.

Normally they grow south. Atleast that is how all my squash and punkin plants grow I have to train then other ways. The same is true with tomatoes.

1 Like

There’s something special about a calf being born that always makes me feel really good. Maybe it’s listening to them take their first breath, or their first little cry. Watching them get to their feet and having their mother immediately claim, feed and defend them. Special times, those who have never had the opportunity to raise cattle miss out on some of the real joys in life. And after that…the real work begins!!!

Bryan

4 Likes

I’ll have to find a compass. But I recall that say half go one direction and the other half go another direction. To some degree that is. If I have the time lull map it out.

2 Likes

Day 3 of rain from Irma . Not hard rain but it is still wet .

Have been using the dakota this afternoon and the V-10 this morning .

BBB

3 Likes

Hey Mr Wayne,
We have new to us dog to replace the aged out old black Labrador.
6-7 years old. Wheaten colored. Dual coated. Big. Strong.
Obviously a bit golden Lab. A bit Labrador Retriever, too. And something else.
Pretty sure from breed books, pictures Belgium Maloise. His head and a front shoulders marking. He will fetch. But not give it up. Chews up destroys the biggest toughest leg bones I can get. Obedient. Mellow-yellow overall.
Ha! I an going to have to take out the large dogs doors to convert to extra-large. His shoulders will not fit trough.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Well we got out first hard killing frost last night. Last “spring” frost here was 7th of June.
Wow! An outstanding 105 days of summer this year! Some years only 70 days frost to frost.
Not proper calendar/astronomical but the not able for the best gardens eating/growing Spring ends last killing frost. Summer begins then. Growing/eating time. Work-work-work. Summer ends with first killing frost. Autumn/Fall begins.
My lazy-cut-back favorite time of the year.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

7 Likes

Well I got off the farm today. We had doctors appointments. It was beautiful — 80+ degrees, about 50% of the trees were turned and half the sue-mack, and the geese are starting to form big flocks for the trip south. All the way around my house is corn, and it is at it’s full height. I can still hear vehicles on the road but can’t see what is going on. Big problem with this corn is it seems to give skunks a place to hide in the day. At night they come out and dig grubs in my yard. I mowed the yard the other day and the ground was so rough from them digging that I thought I was mowing a plowed field. The weather man says 3 more days of 80 degree weather, then he expects the ship to hit the sand. Hope everyone is getting a chance to enjoy fall. TomC

11 Likes

No frost here yet, today is the traditional frost date. The weather has been exceptional, hot and dry, a lot of straight cutting of grain and canola, set a new heat record a few days ago, but not today, 12C. And rain. It looks like we will avoid frost for at least a week yet. The trees are turning fast, and as Tom says, geese and sand hill cranes are flocking up, losing daylight fast. Soon enough there will be snow, hard to believe.

5 Likes

Went to Nashville today, to pick up a transmission from Marvin. The Beast shall live again.

While I was in the area, I went to the Lane Motor Museum, never been there before. It’s a wonderful collection of oddball cars, many of them homemade. Any of you going through Nashville, please stop by and check it out, it’s well worth your time.

12 Likes