Life goes on - Summer 2017

Rule of thumb that I use for beef, is hang one day for every 50lb of hanging weight @ around 35-40 deg F. Deer I hang till the outside of a skinned carcass turns black covered to keep bugs off. Best venison you will ever eat. Sounds bad but the black skin that develops protects the meat,and allows it to break down. As far as grass fed beef, you have to take care of your pasture just like you would a top quality hay field, seed, lime, fertilize, and don’t over graze.

3 Likes

As a kid, I worked in a grocery store that had its own meet cutter. Every so often, the maid for the richest man in town would come in and pick up a few things. When she did, she always bought a whole beef tenderloin – paid for it and we hung it back in the cooler until she returned. When she finally took it it was as black as she was. I wrinkled my nose and ask what do you do with that. She said, “oh boy! Youse just warm it up over a candle and eat it with a spoon.”. Ok!!! TomC

6 Likes

Just a sad weather report from Sweden while the others are having fun in Argos:
We have had a cold spring lately. -10 C in night time and only a few degrees above freezing in day time. Buds stopped growing and not much green yet.
Fortunately any weather is good DOW weather :grin:

9 Likes

Jan,
l was thinking of you today when l was on the feald planting tomatoes, was meaning to ask you how your spring progresses. Well, you anwsered that one :grin:
If you ever get tired of cold, you are always welcome at the sunny side of Alpes. Sunny 25 today :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thank you, Kristijan!
I would like that very much. I´m very tired of the cold and I complain a lot but that doesnt seem to make things any better. But you know how it is, I wouldn´t get further than Germany before I would have to turn back to punch the clock. I´ve beeen wanting to work part time for a long time, but my employer won´t let me.
Ha, the numbers of days above 25C here you can count on your fingers. Some years one hand is enough.
I´ve been meaning to ask you a question as well. I´ll switch to a different thread…

On todays news from a nearby village.
I wouldn´t dare do this with the Rabbit. I´d be worried losing my charbed (into the hopper :smile: )

2 Likes

Just as he goes off the end of the ramp, he drives through a pipe rail. That rail looks like it actuates something but I can see what. Does he say anything in the write up? TomC

No, I´m sorry! Nothing.
I think the rail´s purpose is just to give the vehicle the extra push needed to start the backwards rotation. When that work is done the rail falls down to give room for the rear end of the vehicle to pass. Anyway, I bet he used his thinking chair a lot.

2 Likes

It looks like practice could be expensive and hurt.

3 Likes

I just forwarded that to a friend, he had basically the same comment. I said that if I borrowed the machine of a fellow I don’t care for, or won the lottery and had no will to live, that would explain. :wink:

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 11-14

Don’t just dump your char - eat it!

The health benefits of activated charcoal
There was a study that was published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, and reported that the activated charcoal can prevent flatulence and can also relieve cramps and bloating, that can appear as a result of internal gasses.
It will also absorb the cholesterol that can be found in the gastrointestinal tract. Other studies suggest that it can reduce the bad cholesterol levels by 42%, while increasing the levels of good cholesterol by 8%.

11 Likes

It also absorbs toxins.

2 Likes

Hey Don ,

Keep this quite , if the wife finds this out she will be spiking every one of my meals with the black gold :grin:

May not have any left to go in the garden :confounded:

10 Likes

I think it tastes better after you put it in the garden and convert it into vegetables

2 Likes

Father in law told me they used to give charcoal to cows if they had diharea.

2 Likes

I drank some charcoal yesterday myself.

1 Like

It could end up in the garden eventually… :wink:

And make the veggies taste better… :wink:

http://humanurehandbook.com/manual.html

Is there any creditable truth is useing human waist for gardon for food, i was allways told planting a garden on top of my feild tile was toxic poison or cause some sort of illness.

1 Like

Hey Kevin, look into the book reviews, or better yet read the author’s book, or just review the website. The fellow is very humorous and down to earth, and has been recycling waste to greatly improve his garden for well over 20 years. Using this system will make your land richer year after year, our current practices strip nutrients out of the land and throw them away, generally into surface waters, otherwise into ground water.

He breaks down all the do’s and dont’s, it’s a solid process well worth studying. Hot composting, 2 year cycle breaks all pathogen chains, and provides great nutrient recycling, a tremendous simplification and solution to plumbing and waste disposal.

If a person doesn’t want to ever have to call a plumber again, or deal with septic trucks, or planning authorities about septic fields, or worry about contaminating ground water, this is the solution to building a cabin or new home. (Never mind cut your water bill / requirements to just a small fraction of a flush toilet house)…

It’s true that the practice in Asia of using raw sewage on agricultural crops is a very poor practice with obvious risks.

It’s a concept foreign to our traditions, but well worth considering. Not much different from how we gladly embrace the use of cow manure.

2 Likes