Life goes on - Summer 2018

Spent a little time at the neighbors today . Wife and I made syrup while some of the the others picked their banjos .

IMG_0633

13 Likes

Wow you guys are way ahead of us we don’t make syrup till spring. What kind do you make this time of year? That looks like a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Dan

We were making sorghum syrup. It has a taste of it’s own and hard to beat.

9 Likes

That is a grass that will grow almost like corn stocks right? If it is what I am thinking we planted it for the cows back in the 90s. Never knew you could make syrup from it but it was loaded with liquid.

4 Likes

I was a pancake lover-- during the war when meat was scarce, my folks had dinner parties serving pancakes or waffles-- with maple sirup. Good stuff. In '46 gas rationing was over, so the folks took us to the Smokey Mountains. One morning I ordered my favorite pancakes and it came with god offal syrup. I put orange marble aid on my cakes. Next day, same thing. I ask my dad what was this syrup was and it turned out to be sorghum. We grew sorghum too but to sweeten the silage for the cows.

What they lack in taste for syrup they make up in playing string instruments. What do the high school bands down there look like. Ours are brass, reads, and drums. Are your guitars, banjos, base fiddles, and bones??? Kidding-- love country music and just jealous I never learned to play even the bones — I do own a Jews’ harp> TomC

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom.

It may be an aquired taste .

Down here the sorghum ( sogum ) syrup is the top of the line . We even have sogum festivals all over the place.

The last hour of cooking we have to have a guard with a base ball bat to keep all the samplers beat back.

Today one fellow was coming from the house with 4 hot cat head biscuits but we intercepted him right before he made it to the cooking trough.

8 Likes

Yes maybe. There are two different strains. The first is for the grain or forage, the other has a higher sugar content and can be used for syrup.

The reason why I said maybe is because there is a Sudan grass sorghum cross that is used a lot for forage.

Fyi Corn is also a grass.

1 Like

That is what we grew and man that stuff is nasty to harvest if you broadcast seed it then let it grow to full height.

1 Like

No insult meant about sorghum. Like you said just an acquired taste and a difference between a ‘‘southerner’’ and a ‘‘damyankee’’. "Cat head’’ biscuits???TomC

1 Like

Good moring Mr. Tom.

"Cat head’’ biscuits???TomC

The biscuits dough is formed by hand and never cut out like a cookie cuter . Each biscuit has it own personality .

At breakfast early in the morning before your eyes get focused you can see the image of a cat’s face looking you dead in the eyes .

I had fresh sogum surp and a cat head biscuit at breakfast and just talking about it now has flung a craving on me and I am going for another round :grinning:

9 Likes

Maybe if I have a good Maple season next spring I can bring enough syrup for everyone to use on you cat head biscuits. I also want to try some sorghum syrup. Does it have a long shelf life?

2 Likes

Oh Mr. Tom .

One thing I forgot to mention . Once one gets down near Tn or Alabama the pronouncing of the words change some . Down here if I were heard saying sorghum syrup I would be looked on very suspiciously . It is pronounced Sogum Surp :grinning:

6 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill.

Don’t really know .

I have never tasted any that I thought went bad but on the other hand around here it doesn’t stay on a shelf long . Usually left on the table .

4 Likes

Mr. Wayne; I may not know much about sogum surp but I was taught good how to spell your term for a northerner. TomC ( or maybe you didn’t notice cus ya don’t member it’s two words.)

2 Likes

Tomc
If you search up the thread Tomatoes in winter you will find Wayne’s recipe for the Cats head biscuits there. It is also a fun read
Tomw

3 Likes

Those biscuits sound good to me. I remember once as a small kid we made maple syrup at a friends house and in one of the poor grades of syrup we cooked hotdogs and briskets that was the best hotdogs and biscuits I ever had. Not sure how the syrup came our but the evaporator dinner was great.

3 Likes

Time to bump the misery contest.
Short sleeves last week. -10C (14F) this morning going to work. On the +side hayfilter content was denst and explosive. Cranked up right away.
@Chris, is it still summer 2018?

3 Likes

It’s always summer somewhere. Oh no that is 5 oclock… sorry couldn’t resist. I have to say the mountain is looking pretty white the last couple of days here and more snow comming Saturday so your probably right summer 2018 might be comming to an end.

3 Likes

I suppose not. Summer ended nearly a month ago… Hello winter!

5 Likes