Life goes on - Summer 2018

Only imperial measurments here are plumbing parts, inch bords and pounds of draw weight on bows. Talking to you guys made me “bilingual” in terms of measuring unites so l do have a feel for imperial, but for practicality and scoencetific reasons l see no dubt in wich sistem is superior. The thing is in metric everithing is conected to everything by a factor of 10. Volume, lengh, weight…

3 Likes

I love metric for speeds, volume, weights, and temperature. Especially that zero means water freezes, and 100 means boiling, and one liter of water weighs one kilo, and takes up precisely a 10 cm cube, and 1,000 paces is 1km. For lumber, construction, and machining I will take imperial measure any day.

Isn’t that more like 7/16 "?

I like imperial for temperature measurement. To me the comfortable range of temp is too narrow in C probably because I was raised on F but i can’t seem to get my head around when room temp is good in C and when it is a little hot and when it is too hot.

1 Like

No, just over 3/16, I was getting a little picky…

1 Like

ok, yeah, I just went back and looked a little closer, sorry. But I’m out the door on the way to a rescue call…later.

1 Like

Be safe. I have alot of respect for people who do rescue work it isn’t easy.

Since @don_mannes tricked into this battle again… :smile:

…tires, TV/computer-screens…

Actually any saw mill operator here would tell the length of the log in meter but the width in inches. Also the sawn dimentional lumber is called for example 2"6 (which is 50X150mm) but store bought it’s always planed and labeled only 45X145 mm.

3 Likes

Well atleast your store are honest over here they just call it about 0.5 inch bigger then it is… lol

2 Likes

Yes, I did. Some.
Most grow them in greenhouses here but my neighbour actually have a Latvian variety called Silga out in the open in a brick wall south west corner.

7 Likes

Happy Father’s Day to the DOW Dads. Have a awesome day and enjoy it.
Bob

4 Likes

Good find of the grape variety. In the fall after leaves are off you can cut a vine over 1cm diameter into pieces about 25 - 30cm with a bud / node at the top. Immediately plant in ground with 5cm above, propagation success should be over 80 - 90%.

2 Likes

Thanks, et tu, Bob. Whoops, need 20 characters!

1 Like

Thanks Garry, I’ll remember that. I’ll just try to find a good spot for it.

3 Likes

Well if you have sumac grapes love to climb that. I have a mess of both here

1 Like

I had to look sumac up. I don’t think I ever saw it here. Comes in many varieties it seems.
The major problem to me will be to find a south wall spot where I haven’t got firewood stacked :smile:

3 Likes

Be very happy sumac doesn’t grow there.
Grapes will be happy to climb your wood pile ofcourse you won’t be happy when it comes time to burn it…

1 Like

We have Sumac growing along the edge of the field right up to the regular trees. Poisonous Rhus bear WHITE berries,
while the EDIBLE SPECIES all have brilliant RED fruits. Read the description below for a good tasting slightly tart sumac- ade. Read how to make on the page below.

Giving credit where credit is due.

click on pic to enlarge

4 Likes

I have the red stuff never tried making a drink from it.

It’s a rather pleasant drink. You can use more or less sugar to suit your taste.