Life goes on - Summer 2018

I think i need a bigger gasifier to run this one…

Just added a second aircon to keep my office/home cool enough…
The small one is 25000 BTU

Behind my wife and the small unit in the first picture one is on the south side

When its 35ºC in the shadow, then i could not get it cooler then 29ºC

Now with the slightly bigger unit, 17ºC no problem…

I might start a fridge company now ? Renting out a cool room… :grin:

6 Likes

That’s the unfortunate thing I see about approaches to energy efficiency in warm countries, relatively little attention paid to building energy efficiency, then leading to very high energy consumption for cooling.

Here we are having similar summer temperatures, but due to the high standard of building insulation, windows and doors, and general air sealing, air conditioning systems cool more efficiently.

Houses everywhere should be built with R20 (U .05), minimum wall insulation, and R60 (U.016) attic insulation, and a good vapour barrier.

3 Likes

Was reading my grandma’s diary and she said in 1923, when they crossed the Oklahoma border from Arkansas, the cow they had needed to get a shot and her big brother and father “swore up and down that the cow was never any good for anything after that.”

2 Likes

Bit’o forced down time for me now . . . I’ve been venom bit.
No venomous snakes here. Lots and lots of summertime bees, hornets and wasps.
On one of our tree-harvest burn charcoal piles I finally stepped on a ground wasps nest Canada thistle weeds eating down stings-bites on one lower leg. And lucky to have so few. I think my hopping around stomped closed the nest opening.
Oh-well. Good arthritis treatment for me. “A sting every 6 months keeps the joints pain down to bearable”
Ha! That is easy here in the warm summer. Just move around wood - native solo bees. Open up unused vehicle doors - paper wasps nesting in the door frames openings.
Most of the wasps and hornets here are bugs and carrion meats eaters. Why they have very strong active biting mandibles.
Why we have few, and smaller mosquitoes.
sore legged Steve unruh

2 Likes

Steve, sorry for the misfortune, glad it was not worse. We call those ground wasps “yellow Jackets” here. Often confused with honey bees. Keep checking for unwanted side effects. Have your wife keep an eye on you, not that she wouldn’t be doing that anyway… :relaxed:

3 Likes

And the worst is the yellow jackets are an alien pest, brought from Europe. I’ll take our black and white hornets over yellow jacket wasps any day, yellow jackets are just “jerks” to put it politely.

I once came across the remains of a wasp nest in a rotten log, that a bear had found and eaten. Imagine that battle. Bears are definitely no nonsense with anything food related.

1 Like

Good to hear there was no allergic reaction. We would really miss your posts

A long time ago in central Oregon, setting 1 1/8” chokers logging old growth timber
I was bent over stuffing the nubbin under a log, heard a lot of buzzing, backed up looked down, I was nearly yellow to the knees with yellow jackets

Good news is with high top caulk boots, nearly new jeans and white ox gloves I beat them all off and never got stung!

A quart of saw gas early the next morning down the hole and then got that log

5 Likes

The last yellow jacket nest in thr ground, i cheated and used my honey bee nest suit too not get stung burning the nest area.

2 Likes

You caint beat haveing some kind of air con in the dog days of summer, stay cool out there you all. Up in michigan its long winters but nice cool summers, we might get a week or so in around 90 f thats nothing too what heet the southern folks endure, most have air con. I think some still use geo thermal under ground water cooling.

2 Likes

Billy, we supplement the feed by feeding the chickens our compost. From there it goes the the compost pile. Our eggs tastes great. We eat organic so our eggs are pretty much organic.
We also do not have a rooster. I think that’s why our hens lay eggs longer. We have one hen now that should have stoped haying a year or more ago. She still put out a egg every other day, what a great hen she is. When she dies we will put her into the compost pile.
Bob

3 Likes

Sometimes, if you can’t burn a ground wasp nest, a 5 gallon bucket of hot/ soapy water will do the trick. Soapy water breaks the surface tension and drowns them. Wait till after sunset if you can. :sunglasses:
Bob,
We “plant” our deceased “pet” layer hens, (and one mean rooster) under our (hardy) peach tree. The tree is quite healthy, and the peaches are yummy. The free range chickens eat half the peaches before they are ripe!

3 Likes

Dyeing of old age is a previlidge hens dont get here. When they are of decent age they usualy end in a pot. “Old hen makes good soup” is a proverb here. This proverbs meaning is to respect older women but it can allso be taken literaly. Hens, no matter the age, boiled with veggies for hours make great broth, the meat is then cooled, minced, mixed with some milk soaked bread, egg, onion, pancetta and fryed in oil. The broth used to boil in some noodles. One hen can this way make a great 2 corse meal.

On wasps, l like to use black powder. I used to use petrol but this is tricky to get to burn in the hole. A few spoons of black powder in the hole and a heawy rock on top pushes hot gases directly in the nest. Usualy they have 2 entrances and once lit, the fire starts in one hole, proceeds trugh the nest and exits as smoke in the other hole. Often it throws out a fistfull of roasted wasps :smile:

Edit: Mike, digging carcases under trees is a realy good idea. Not only that the decaying body provides nutrients, gophers cant stand the smell and leave the roots alone. My grandfather always burryed dead cats under young trees, althugh l am sure if he had a WK gasifier he wuld rather gasify them :smile:

11 Likes

Kristijan, you are a funny guy. I like reading your posts!

9 Likes

Ok now I’m hungry… we always make broth then feed the leftover rubber chicken to the dog. Next time I’m totally trying that recipe!

4 Likes

Only once we neaded to do that. Mom got a bunch of old, or shuld l say fosilized, broiler roosters from the broiler hachery for free. They boiled for so long the pot begun to soften :smile: broth was ok but the meat was fed to the dog.

5 Likes

That is an interesting one, I will have to try it sometime. With our hot dry summers burning is not really a good idea in the summer, so one method that works really well in our vineyard is to use a glass bowl and sand. You get a pyrex mixing bowl, maybe 8" across and put it over the hole at night. Then you mound up sand around the edges, but leaving a “skylight.” The wasps dont quite get it. They fly against the glass, make a few attempts at digging out the sand, but it fills back in, and after a few days they all die from lack of water/food.

5 Likes

Ha, that is a good one too!

2 Likes

PSST

Seattle tempretures average 37 to 79 degrees and rarely below 28 or above 88

Lots of days in the 9 months of the year with a misty rain though

2 Likes

Hi mike g it sounds like you live near the tree farmer. Half under water most the time. Though your temps sound not too bad, and shorter winters than michigan.

1 Like

Yup,yup, it wet on the West side of the Cascade Mountains. If drive over to the East side central Washington, it is dry, 15% rain fall on a good year. They get the Wet Pacific Coast weather coming in. The Cascade Mountains drain the clouds of moisture before it gets to this part of the state. It funny they call Washington state “The Ever Green State” 1/2 of the state has no evergreen trees. They cut all of them down in the late 1800’s early 1900’s around here and did not replant the land around here. It takes four times as long for the evergreen trees to grow around here in the mountains. Everything is third, or more growth.
Bob

3 Likes